Search restrictions when searching resources

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 316
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 8 2014 2:11 AM

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't seem to find a way to restrict my results when searching through my resource list. For instance, I have tagged all my Bible versions with the tag "Bible". I recently wanted to quickly view these entries with the search: "mytag:bible". The problem is, this pulled up every resource that had Bible anywhere in a tag such as "bible-guide". I know when using the regular search I can chose to search 'whole words only', but I don't see this as an option when searching through my list of resources. I tried various sets of quotes and it did not make a difference in restricting the results.

Thanks! 

Posts 24775
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 2:36 AM

danwdoo:
I recently wanted to quickly view these entries with the search: "mytag:bible". The problem is, this pulled up every resource that had Bible anywhere in a tag such as "bible-guide"

Not sure I fully understand

I don't have the same tagging as you but have used tags for different commentary types

When I enter "mytag:co" I get a list to choose one and I can choose the specific one I am interested in

Do you not get an option to specifically select "mytag:bible"?

In your specific case you could use "type:bible" instead

Posts 316
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 4:52 AM

Hi Graham. I don't want to search within the resources, I just want to search the list of resources I own to view what titles I own. So I'm not performing this search within the search function (magnifying glass), but within the Library function (book icon).

Posts 24775
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 6:39 AM

danwdoo:
I just want to search the list of resources I own to view what titles I own. So I'm not performing this search within the search function (magnifying glass), but within the Library function (book icon).

Sorry - I misunderstood

Try using the "All Resources" dropdown

Does that give you what you want?

Posts 11848
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 6:46 AM

dandwoo,

I'm in the same situation as you, and thus can recreate. I would have expected mytag:"Bible" to work, but it doesn't. Of course you can group those search results by "My Tags", giving you the list of those with the tags. If you really want to see these separate, you can now easily select all which apply for the tags and rename either the bibles or the other tags.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 316
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 7:07 AM

Yep. That's the behavior I'm seeing. I've been using the sort by tags as a workaround, but it would be nice to have some kind of operators to control this list as well.

Posts 11848
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 7:45 AM

danwdoo:

Yep. That's the behavior I'm seeing. I've been using the sort by tags as a workaround, but it would be nice to have some kind of operators to control this list as well.

No idea about operators, but Graham's idea works better than my workaround:

Posts 19254
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 7:52 AM

Yup, a way to limit matching to whole words only would be nice (same for all other library filtering, not just mytags).

I try to use unique enough tags to avoid having any of my commonly used ones be a substring of another one.

Just curious why you need to tag all your Bibles as "Bible" since they all have the type "Bible" so you can easily list them all that way (type:Bible). Unlike mytag, the type tag is smart about whole words, so "type:Bible" will find only bibles, not books with type "Bible Commentary".

Posts 11848
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 8:07 AM

Rosie Perera:
the type tag is smart about whole words, so "type:Bible" will find only bibles, not books with type "Bible Commentary".

No it won't. It will find manuscript scraps (like "0162 from The Text of the Earliest GNT Manuscripts" or "Cairo Geniza Targumic Fragment: MS AA") as well as bible-indexed translations of individual books or parts thereof that came with the CCAS packages (like "The apocalypse of Ezra (2 Esdras 3-14)" ). Sometimes the line between a text with notes or a commentary is not easily drawn, either. I use mytag:"Real bible" to filter out a bit. 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 8:46 AM

Rosie Perera:

Yup, a way to limit matching to whole words only would be nice (same for all other library filtering, not just mytags).

I try to use unique enough tags to avoid having any of my commonly used ones be a substring of another one.

Just curious why you need to tag all your Bibles as "Bible" since they all have the type "Bible" so you can easily list them all that way (type:Bible). Unlike mytag, the type tag is smart about whole words, so "type:Bible" will find only bibles, not books with type "Bible Commentary".

That doesn't quite work to my satisfaction.  It also brings up Talmudic texts which is almost like bringing up commentaries when you specify "bible."

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 316
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 10:16 PM

I tagged all my Bibles (and all other resources) just so I could easily spot new resources by items that are missing a 'mytag'.

Posts 19254
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 10:40 PM

NB.Mick:

Rosie Perera:
the type tag is smart about whole words, so "type:Bible" will find only bibles, not books with type "Bible Commentary".

No it won't. It will find manuscript scraps (like "0162 from The Text of the Earliest GNT Manuscripts" or "Cairo Geniza Targumic Fragment: MS AA") as well as bible-indexed translations of individual books or parts thereof that came with the CCAS packages (like "The apocalypse of Ezra (2 Esdras 3-14)" ). Sometimes the line between a text with notes or a commentary is not easily drawn, either. I use mytag:"Real bible" to filter out a bit. 

Yeah, good point. I used to have most of those hidden in my library, but I've unhidden many of them.

A filter like type:bible -targums -qumran weeds out most of that stuff. And type:bible lang:english used to be a pretty good list of only actual bibles (though it missed BHS and NA27 and such, which I'd want to include. I guess I don't often need to see a list of all my Bibles, so I've never bothered to tag them all. But it might be a good idea.

Posts 1276
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 1:28 AM

I'll piggyback on this thread since my question is similar, or rather the reverse: I want to do a search in all my resources EXCEPT those with a certain tag.

Specifically, I'm trying to do this:

fatherhood NEAR brotherhood ANDNOT mytag:perseus

But it seems to be ignoring everything after "brotherhood." I've tried a few different variations but nothing seems to be working. (Admittedly, I'm not very competent with Logos search syntax.)

Please help me out!

Posts 24775
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 1:45 AM

Sean:
fatherhood NEAR brotherhood ANDNOT mytag:perseus

This is trying to merge two things - the things you are searching for in resources and which resources you want to search

Try creating a collection for "Everything but Perseus" - for me the rule would be "* ANDNOT mytag:Shelf-PerseusBooks"

Then you can use that collection in the "Resources" dropdown of the search panel and just search for "fatherhood NEAR brotherhood" in that collection.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS