Can't Logos Make a Basic Search Look Like a Factbook Search?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 133
Matt Zimmerman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 10 2014 7:56 AM

Is there a way in Logos to see all the resources on a particular topic neatly organized?

For example...

I type "Justin Martyr" in basic search and get everything in one giant list but it's hard to sort through. Logos doesn't group any of the resources (ex., dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc).

I type "Justin Martyr" into factbook and it gets closer to what I am looking for but it's not quite there. There are only two dictionary entries listed (ZEB and ODCC) but that's it.

Isn't there a way in Logos to type his name in and just get all of the hits in my library neatly organized by resource type?

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 11:22 AM

Matt Zimmerman:

Is there a way in Logos to see all the resources on a particular topic neatly organized?

For example...

I type "Justin Martyr" in basic search and get everything in one giant list but it's hard to sort through. Logos doesn't group any of the resources (ex., dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc).

I type "Justin Martyr" into factbook and it gets closer to what I am looking for but it's not quite there. There are only two dictionary entries listed (ZEB and ODCC) but that's it.

Isn't there a way in Logos to type his name in and just get all of the hits in my library neatly organized by resource type?

Basic search results can be sorted by rank, by resource (title not type), by count (the number of hits in each resource. I have never thought about being able to sort by resource type, but I can see how that might be valuable. 

Posts 9481
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 11:41 AM

Fredc:
I can see how that might be valuable. 

I agree. Sorting results by type would be very nice.

It would also be nice to be able to do a basic All Resources search and specify the type of resource one wanted to search, such as 'Journal' or 'Encyclopedia'. One can do something close to that by using collections, but being able to add AND <Type journal> would be handy.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 26677
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 12:34 PM

Matt Zimmerman:
I type "Justin Martyr" into factbook and it gets closer to what I am looking for but it's not quite there.

My Topic Search results are the same as Factbook and I get AYBD/ODCC as I don't have ZEB. But those (AYBD, ZEB & ODCC) have articles that provide a biography of Justin Martyr rather than a simple mention of his name. If there are other resources in your Library that provide a biography then use the Respond section at the end of Factbook.

Books.logos.com in a Basic Search of Everything lists other books that may be useful to you.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS