Need honest opinions on keeping Logos Gold

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 47
Jonathan Yap | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 11 2014 5:26 AM

a week with it, I love Logos Gold. Great commentaries and just the whole interface. But I dont really use the Greek stuff ..yet. I have a few more years till I go seminary. So just wondering, will the language materials grow outdated? Cos I could still return Gold version and go for a smaller base package.

Posts 297
JC54 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 5:30 AM

Generally I would say that language resources do not grow outdated very fast. Only a new edition of NA or something might make a difference, but I think 90% of your language resources will be valuable for the coming decade at least. Most other resources will be outdated earlier.

and start playing with the language stuff, it might safe your life when you start studying it!

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 6:18 AM

The language stuff as stated before generally doesn't get "outdated" but "updated" as new manuscripts are found/analyzed.

The tools however will not go out of date.  The words stay the same in meaning.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 2771
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 6:23 AM

Johannes Hendrik Menkveld:

and start playing with the language stuff, it might safe your life when you start studying it!

I echo this Johannes.

And John, it is always good to be a step ahead (if you can). When the time comes that you are required to know the subject, and are hit with so many new subjects, it won't be so taxing if you know at least a little.

Posts 2718
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:25 AM

Even if you are completely untrained in a language, you can leapfrog by learning the alphabet and begin to look at the words snd their meaning. Don't be intimidated by what you don't know and understand. Logos enables you, at the least, to access original language material without knowing it. 

You made a terrific choice. Blessings on your study of God's precious word.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:50 AM

I would say yes - to keep it.

The words in a dead language don't change in meaning, at one time I owned every available greek resource in logos. Thats no longer true, but it was beneficial as I was going through greek. Especially for the translation parts where we were allowed to use "any tool" at our disposal, which was of course not every project, but many.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 2:35 PM

I think it is a good thing to keep. A base Library of works is essential Gold provides you with everything you should need. It is fully true many would be happy with Silver or bronze, but seeing you are in seminary I would suspect Gold will serve you well in years to come. The original language resources as pointed out will not become out of date, many lexicons we have and use are over a hundred years old. We do learn new things about dead languages but after over hundreds of years of study we have a fair grasp of it, it will not say there is nothing new to discover but the words themselves are all going to be there. It is not too like we will likely discover new manuscripts of Biblical with words never used before. I do think Faithlife's Gold packages are generally what most pastors/students likely need.

-Dan 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 2:52 PM

John Yap:
So just wondering, will the language materials grow outdated? Cos I could still return Gold version and go for a smaller base package.

Keep it.  Koine Greek won't change much in two years.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 3:01 PM

Dan Francis:

I think it is a good thing to keep. A base Library of works is essential Gold provides you with everything you should need. It is fully true many would be happy with Silver or bronze, but seeing you are in seminary I would suspect Gold will serve you well in years to come. The original language resources as pointed out will not become out of date, many lexicons we have and use are over a hundred years old. We do learn new things about dead languages but after over hundreds of years of study we have a fair grasp of it, it will not say there is nothing new to discover but the words themselves are all going to be there. It is not too like we will likely discover new manuscripts of Biblical with words never used before. I do think Faithlife's Gold packages are generally what most pastors/students likely need.

-Dan 

Indeed it is possible for our understanding of the language to change (though improbable that it will do so by much), however the language it self stopped changing at its death :P

Posts 8129
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 4:43 PM

Super.Tramp:

John Yap:
So just wondering, will the language materials grow outdated? Cos I could still return Gold version and go for a smaller base package.

Keep it.  Koine Greek won't change much in two years.

Maybe English will and finally make "Cos" a real word...LOL Wink For the longest I thought it was 'cus

But anyway, keep Gold because in a few years the great commentaries and resources that are available in L6 may not be available in future versions.  Sometimes publishers stop making business with Logos and all the material gets pulled, but in those cases, you wouldn't lose them if you already own them.  Keep it!

DAL

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 4:08 AM

Much of the content in base-packages other than language-resources is already outdated and You are right many more will be in 10 years from now:

Johannes Hendrik Menkveld:
I think 90% of your language resources will be valuable for the coming decade at least. Most other resources will be outdated earlier.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 4:36 AM

John Yap:

a week with it, I love Logos Gold. Great commentaries and just the whole interface. But I dont really use the Greek stuff ..yet. I have a few more years till I go seminary. So just wondering, will the language materials grow outdated? Cos I could still return Gold version and go for a smaller base package.

Don't worry about titles in a base pkg that you think you may not need. Count up the value in the ones you will use. Base pkgs are a great value. Gold is an excellent pkg.

Posts 2348
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 6:22 AM

Keep it. Some only want "the latest scholarship" I prefer to listen to the body of Christ as the Holy Spirit has been speaking to/through them in all times and all places. If those to whom I listen are only from my current generation, I ignore how the Holy Spirit illuminated truth to my forefathers. I think this is why Logos offers the Ancient fathers and the classic commentaries - because the Holy Spirit does not only illuminate the current generation, but has been at work previous. My understanding of handling Greek through Discourse Analysis today is richer because I studied Greek in the 80s--before this became a significant school of thought.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 6:57 AM

I had a professor once tell me I ought to read three dead men for each living man. 

I'm not super convinced that modern scholarship is better than a lot of what has been written in the past. 

Posts 961
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 10:38 AM

One of the great things about Logos is you can get a lot of the benefit of languages without actually knowing the language. Bible Word Study is what sold me on Logos and is still one of my favorite features. No Greek required. 

Posts 133
Matt Zimmerman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 11:33 AM

I find it hard to believe that a decent commentary like pillar for example is only good for ten years. I understand how there can be new insights in a commentary from 2000 versus 1850 but let's be realistic. Beyond that a respected commentary should rarely be 'outdated' unless it was introducing unbiblical ideas. 

Posts 2771
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 11:42 AM

Matt Zimmerman:

I find it hard to believe that a decent commentary like pillar for example is only good for ten years. I understand how there can be new insights in a commentary from 2000 versus 1850 but let's be realistic. Beyond that a respected commentary should rarely be 'outdated' unless it was introducing unbiblical ideas. 

Yes

I agree with this exactly. Sometimes I think the term "Outdated" is misused or not used in the right context.

I can't see how the interpretation of the WORD can be outdated, unless the interpretation is wrong to begin with.

Posts 297
JC54 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 1:31 PM

Matt Zimmerman:

You are (obviously) right. But for me, being a student, I think about these things in "paper-usefulness". When I refer to a monograph or commentary from before 2000, I better know what I am doing because my teachers will know if something more up to date and recent has come out. On the contrast in the original language world I am using sources from over 60 yearrs old (TDNT for example) and I would be blamed if I didn't.

This is hyperbolic of course, but there is some truth in it. Personally books might be useful no matter there age, outdated does not really exist. In academics though, books do get outdated and in some areas they get outdated very fast.....

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 1:52 PM

Older scholarship seems to impress my professors. 

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS