NIV Application Commentary Kindle vs. Logos+Send-to-Kindle

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 11 2014 6:30 PM

With the NIV Application Commentary series back on sale I'm left asking the age-old question, Logos or Kindle? Even when competitors have sales I can't bring myself to make the purchase too often if Logos also has the product since I'd much rather have the annotations sync back with Logos and be searchable therein (not to mention numerous other features). What are your thoughts? Have you enjoyed the "Send-to-Kindle" feature or do you prefer to stick with pure Logos apps? Or do you use numerous platforms at once?

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:04 PM

Bentley Crawford:
Have you enjoyed the "Send-to-Kindle" feature or do you prefer to stick with pure Logos apps? Or do you use numerous platforms at once?

I have used the Send-to-Kindle feature, and found it worked pretty well.

One thing I have committed to is to NOT transition to an all-digital library, so I don't stick with pure Logos apps; I use other platforms (e-readers, computers, real paper books, but not competitive software) quite a bit. Since I made the mistake of going with academic pricing when I got into Logos, and didn't find the fine print until I'd already spent a couple grand, I have avoided putting too much more into it (because if you have academic pricing, you can't resell to others or transfer your resources to your kids, etc.). Again, I didn't know that until too late. (And it doesn't matter if resources go on sale for the same price as academic pricing, which they almost always do...you still can't transfer them.)

If you are already committed to Logos and have reduced or eliminated your paper library, then it seems logical to get the resources in Logos format. If you prefer reading on the Kindle, the new feature in Logos will take care of that. As for me, I have enough commentaries in Logos.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 4
Robert Gore | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:56 PM

I have attempted to find the Send-To-Kindle app, but I had no success. Can one of you provide a link. TIA. 

I use Accordance for language studies (found a cheap and robust package on eBay). 

For the most part I use Logos for commentaries, lexicons, and handbooks. However, I like to have academic, devotional, counseling, and spiritual formation books on Kindle. 

The NIVAC on Kindle looks like a stellar deal as I am only looking to pick up Exodus and Ecclesiastes. Thanks for the heads up on the sale. 

Posts 4
Robert Gore | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 8:04 PM

Never mind, I found it.

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 11 2014 8:39 PM

Doc B:
I have avoided putting too much more into it (because if you have academic pricing, you can't resell to others or transfer your resources to your kids, etc.).

While your first assertion is true, Logos has indicated that you can will licenses for books purchased with the academic discount. See https://community.logos.com/forums/p/50184/380033.aspx#380033.    

Posts 3018
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 7:38 AM

It is important to remember that the Send To Kindle feature is really only if you want to just sit and read the resource.  Primary study of the text would still be done within a Logos/Faithlife app of some sort, especially if you wish to annotate.

That being said, Send to Kindle gives you the same quality as buying the same resource from Amazon directly in my experience.  The only difference is no page numbers/cover.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS