NIV Application Commentary Sale. Matching?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1597
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 12 2014 4:54 AM

There's a Kindle sale on all volumes of the NIVAC, each volume is $4.99. 

I wouldn't mind picking up a few of these (already have Genesis), but I much prefer having my books in Logos over Kindle. Any chance of matching, or close, Logos?

Maybe Logos 7 can include a "Import from Kindle" ;) 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 5:13 AM

A price match would be highly unlikely. But it would be nice!

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 3519
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 5:30 AM

It has been noted before but you can't really compare a Kindle book to a Logos book.  Logos books include hours of meta data tagging that enhances the work with the rest of the library where as the Kindle is just the text itself.

Posts 1597
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 7:06 AM

True enough, which is why I prefer to buy in Logos, and have for the last 11 years. Still, when money is tight, Kindle is better than nothing. 

Plus, once the coding is done and costs are recovered, every sale thereafter is just profit. I suppose there's a balance to be struck between how many are sold and price. Do you make more selling fewer copies at a higher price, or more copies at a lower price?

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 4165
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 7:09 AM

Ben:

There's a Kindle sale on all volumes of the NIVAC, each volume is $4.99. 

I wouldn't mind picking up a few of these (already have Genesis), but I much prefer having my books in Logos over Kindle. Any chance of matching, or close, Logos?

Maybe Logos 7 can include a "Import from Kindle" ;) 

Some of the volumes are as low as 4.29 - such as the volume on Thessalonians. 

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 7:24 AM

Ben:
Plus, once the coding is done and costs are recovered, every sale thereafter is just profit.

This is not entirely accurate. Logos provides ongoing support for all users at no charge. If you ever called support you probably cost Logos $20 to answer the phone. Some people call Logos frequently. Nobody calls Kindle.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 7:26 AM

Ben:

, once the coding is done and costs are recovered, every sale thereafter is just profit. I suppose there's a balance to be struck between how many are sold and price. Do you make more selling fewer copies at a higher price, or more copies at a lower price?

Not necessarily. Royalties still need to be paid to the publisher, plus heavily discounting books later on penalises the early adopters - those who paid to get the resource into production. If everyone knew a "good" sale on a pre-pub they're interested in is coming down the line, no one would sign up for pre-pubs! Smile

Posts 3519
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 7:32 AM

Super.Tramp:

Ben:
Plus, once the coding is done and costs are recovered, every sale thereafter is just profit.

This is not entirely accurate. Logos provides ongoing support for all users at no charge. If you ever called support you probably cost Logos $20 to answer the phone. Some people call Logos frequently. Nobody calls Kindle.

I have called Amazon/Kindle Embarrassed But you are absolutely right.  Not to mention they constantly update resources to be compatible with new features as well.

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 11:52 AM

David Taylor Jr:
I have called Amazon/Kindle Embarrassed But you are absolutely right.  Not to mention they constantly update resources to be compatible with new features as well.

I know for a fact that Kindle updates their books with corrections. For the simple reason I had to reinstall the app on my MBP and items were failing to reinstall. At which point after calling them I was told those books have been updated but the system did not automatically link you to the updated books (I would assume it was a glitch). I am not saying Kindles level of updates are any where near to the detail Logos would offer, just that corrections get made there too..

-Dan

Posts 3519
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 1:51 PM

Dan Francis:

David Taylor Jr:

I know for a fact that Kindle updates their books with corrections. For the simple reason I had to reinstall the app on my MBP and items were failing to reinstall. At which point after calling them I was told those books have been updated but the system did not automatically link you to the updated books (I would assume it was a glitch). I am not saying Kindles level of updates are any where near to the detail Logos would offer, just that corrections get made there too..

-Dan

Yes, I wasn't actually referring to Logos correcting typos and such, I utilize that with Kindle books all the time.  I was talking about additional tagging etc...

Posts 1597
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 7:11 AM

Ah, thanks for the info.

Posts 4165
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 7:23 AM

Just got an email from Z announcing the sale.

HOPEFULLY this comes to Logos as well. 

Link to the set in Logos.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 792
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:02 AM

I take it this is based off the NIV 84 and not the NIV 11?

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:16 AM

Dan Francis:

David Taylor Jr:

I know for a fact that Kindle updates their books with corrections.

That's interesting, 'coz Kindle is sometimes compared to Vyrso products.

Posts 3519
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:26 AM

Lee:

Dan Francis:

David Taylor Jr:

Yes Vyrso and Kindle would be equivalents as Vyrso products are not the same as Logos products.

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:31 AM

James Hiddle:

I take it this is based off the NIV 84 and not the NIV 11?

Thankfully.

Posts 30536
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:33 AM

Lee:

Dan Francis:

David Taylor Jr:

For clarification: The publishers provide updated files to both Amazon and Vyrso. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3519
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:39 AM

alabama24:

Lee:

Dan Francis:

David Taylor Jr:

For clarification: The publishers provide updated files to both Amazon and Vyrso. 

Correct

Posts 792
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 11:15 AM

Probably the only time I'll ever get the NIV84 electronically but man it's going to get expensive.

Posts 3519
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 11:19 AM

James Hiddle:

Probably the only time I'll ever get the NIV84 electronically but man it's going to get expensive.

The commentary doesn't include the Biblical Text.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS