New Resources Download in Win but not Mac Alpha

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:48 PM

I recently purchased some new resources.

They have downloaded successfully in Windows 4.0b beta 3 but the Mac Alpha 10a does not seem to even attempt a download.

No Logos icon has appeared in Menu bar when I start it.

The commands "Update now" and "Update resources" seem to do nothing.

Is there something wrong or is this expected behavior?

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 13 2010 12:53 PM

Russ,

Currently, there is no feedback for the "Update now" or "Update Resources" commands in the Mac alpha (up to and including A11 as of the time of this post). They do work correctly, it just takes a few minutes before the indexer will start downloading resource updates if they are available.

When the indexer icon pops up, you know that resources have been queued to download, which could take 3-5 minutes depending on the number of resources you have installed and how fast your computer is.

One way to check is to look at the Logos4.log in Console and see what the app is doing.

Tom

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2010 5:02 AM

Tom,

Thanks for the help.

I downloaded, installed, and launched A11 last night before going to bed.

I allowed A11 to run all night but it did not download the resources.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but the last purchased resource that was successfully downloaded was on 12/21/2009.
I have made five purchases on 1/4, 1/9, 1/11 (two), and 1/12 that are not downloading.
One of the purchases on 1/4 was an upgrade from Gold LE to Platinum LE. 
All of these new resources have been successfully downloaded in my Windows installation. I am not sharing any folders between the installations. 

My problem seems similar to the problem described in this thread (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/9617.aspx) in that the indexer icon no longer seems to pop up in the menu bar (at least that I can see and I've watched it pretty closely).

Here are my logs.

http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/75/7848.QuinnL4MacA11Logs.zip

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2010 7:47 PM

Just found the workaround here:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/9696.aspx

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 14 2010 8:37 PM

Glad you found that Russ. I replied to Joe M and meant to get back around to posting in this thread. I was partally correct, "Update resources" and "Update now" *sometimes* work in the current Alpha, "Set Automatically Download Updates to Yes" *always* works in the current alpha. 

"Update resources" and "Update now" will be fixed in the next Alpha.

Posts 79
Theophilus | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 1 2011 7:13 AM

I realize this thread is almost a year old, and we're no longer on Alpha, but I'm having the exact same problem here. I searched the forums and this thread came up.

I'm running L4Mac 4.0a SR-5. The new resources I just purchased are not downloading at all. On my PC, the resources have already finished downloading and are now indexing.

Here's what I've tried

• "Automatically Download Updates" setting: YES
  • "Use Internet" setting: YES
  • "Update Resources" command: "No Updates Available / No Updates Were Found"
  • "Update Now" command: "No Updates Available / No Updates Were Found"
  • Restarted L4Mac
  • Deleted ResourceManager.db, restarted L4Mac as per http://community.logos.com/forums/p/10638/84010.aspx#84010

Still not downloading.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 1 2011 7:56 AM

Download the latest stable version from http://www.logos.com/logos4mac

That should get you 4.0b SR-2.

Posts 79
Theophilus | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 1 2011 8:23 AM

Thanks Phil. I've downloaded 4.0b SR-2. Just 2 more questions ...

1) L4Mac is now trying to re-download 7GB+ of resources (!!!), which I already have somewhere on my Mac, don't I? Is there anyway I can shortcut this?

2) I've had my settings to automatically download new updates set to "YES" all this while. How is it that it 4.0a SR-5 didn't download the newer versions, and, even when I did the "Update Now", earlier, 4.0b SR-2 didn't download.

Thanks again.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 1 2011 12:55 PM

Theophilus:
1) L4Mac is now trying to re-download 7GB+ of resources (!!!), which I already have somewhere on my Mac, don't I? Is there anyway I can shortcut this?

Wiki page http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_Multiple_Macs may be helpful

Theophilus:
2) I've had my settings to automatically download new updates set to "YES" all this while. How is it that it 4.0a SR-5 didn't download the newer versions, and, even when I did the "Update Now", earlier, 4.0b SR-2 didn't download.

Puzzling - wonder if Mac restarted after 1 Dec 2010 ?

Wiki page has Mac Releases => http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Release_Notes_and_History

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 79
Theophilus | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2011 2:13 AM

Problem solved. Silly me. Embarrassed

Apparently, the new resources were not downloading because sometime ago, I had shortened the filename of the application from "Logos Bible Software 4" (which I thought was unnecessary long and cumbersome) to "Logos4 Mac". Didn't think it was a problem, since after I changed the filename, the application continued to load up and run as per normal (or so I thought).  This is probably also why the updates of newer L4 versions did not auto download since then.

Once I changed the filename back to the original, everything proceeded as normal.

Thanks, Tom & Keep Smiling, for your help.

Posts 73
Paul Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:10 AM

Tom Philpot:

Download the latest stable version from http://www.logos.com/logos4mac

That should get you 4.0b SR-2.

For what it's worth, I'm running the latest stable Mac version, and i find that the Mac version seems to know nothing about newly purchased resources until several days after the Windows version has downloaded them. This is so, even with repeated invoking "Update now" and "Update resources" from the command line. This would be very frustrating, except that I have access to the Windows version via VMWare Fusion.

Regards,

Paul

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2011 3:04 AM

Paul Johnson:

For what it's worth, I'm running the latest stable Mac version, and i find that the Mac version seems to know nothing about newly purchased resources until several days after the Windows version has downloaded them. This is so, even with repeated invoking "Update now" and "Update resources" from the command line. 

That's strange — my experience has been consistently that immediately after purchase of a new resource it is available on both my Mac machines. They are both running only L4M (only), upgraded to each stable version since gold.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2011 3:27 AM

Paul Johnson:
For what it's worth, I'm running the latest stable Mac version, and i find that the Mac version seems to know nothing about newly purchased resources until several days after the Windows version has downloaded them. This is so, even with repeated invoking "Update now" and "Update resources" from the command line.

Wonder if restarting Mac helps new resource downloading ? (or quit and launch Logos 4 Mac)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2011 5:03 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Wonder if restarting Mac helps new resource downloading ? (or quit and launch Logos 4 Mac)

Stopping and starting L4M (as advised on Logos website) always works for me Stick out tongue

That starts the download of new resources then I get message to restart Logos and there they are.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS