Islamic Studies

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1404
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 19 2014 6:59 PM

A while back I purchased the Islam studies set which was immensely helpful for apologetics. It would be great if we could get some up to date stuff, and be able to research the quran like I can the bible, Maybe having these sort of features in logos for the quran would be a good start http://corpus.quran.com/

Posts 164
Niko | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 15 2014 12:12 AM

Yes and not only from an apologetic perspective but also some academic introductions

Posts 1019
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 15 2014 11:19 AM

I would like to see:

• An English translation of the Hadith
  • A basic history of the division of the middle east into nation states after the breakup of the Ottoman empire in the early 20th century
  • A basic history of the development of modern Islamism

It may be possible to find a public domain source for the first, and perhaps even the second.  If so, I'd love to see those on Community Pricing. I'm particularly interested in the Hadith because of their significance for Islamic law and practice.

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 15 2014 6:12 PM

The Quran

M. H. Shakir, Editor

The Quran

Muhammad M. Pickthall, Editor

Are both in my Logos Library (Perseus Digital Library).

-Dan

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 5:48 PM

EastTN:
A basic history of the division of the middle east into nation states after the breakup of the Ottoman empire in the early 20th century

Two excellent books on Saudi Arabia by Robert Lacey

Wish we had them in Logos.

:

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 541
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 24 2014 6:02 AM

Yes

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 5
Josh Wentz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 31 2014 12:47 AM

I have the two Quran meaning translations from the Perseus set. However, I would also like to see an English translation of the Hadith. And unless I missed it, I don't think the Perseus set had the Quran in the original Arabic. That would be helpful for me, too.

Posts 563
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 31 2014 2:19 AM

Josh Wentz:

And unless I missed it, I don't think the Perseus set had the Quran in the original Arabic. That would be helpful for me, too.

The Qur'an (Arabic)

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 164
Niko | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 31 2014 4:11 AM

Morphologically tagged Qur'an would be great. I wish there would be a Noet subsection for Arabic literature/Islamic studies. Imagine having One thousand and one nights, or arabic poetry or love stories with arabic text and english translation side by side. We already have Lane's dictionary.

I have a few suggestions, I don't know much about Islam yet, but these seem to come from respectable publishers and are quite new.

The Koran: A Very Short Introduction by Cook

The Arabic Language by Versteegh

The Qur'an: An Introduction

The Qur'an (Oxford World's Classics)

Yes, many of these have Kindle versions, but if you look at the preview many of them have problems with phonetic transcription signs, like having an emphatic h (with a dot under) or long vowels with macrons much smaller than the rest of the letters.

Also many times the arabic text is only a picture in a Kindle book.

Thus, I'd like to get them in Logos' quality.

Posts 164
Niko | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 31 2014 4:18 AM

Btw SBL has a new series coming, called Writings From the Islamic World, starting with

Nonnus of Nisibis, Commentary on the Gospel of Saint John.

"In the Muslim world, from the ninth to the thirteenth century, there was a burgeoning of interest in the Bible. It was in Islamic Tiberias that the first critical edition of the Hebrew Bible—the Masoretic Text—was produced, yet this is only one of many achievements during this extraordinarily productive era. In Iraq, Syria, Palestine, Yemen, Egypt, North Africa, and Spain Jews, Christians, and Samaritans produced multiple, often competing, translations of the Bible into Arabic. They also penned hundreds of linear, verse-by-verse, word-by-word commentaries, written from multiple perspectives and representing different traditions. This focus on the Bible generated a large cognate literature as well, including lexicons and grammars; legal monographs and codes; systematic works of theology and philosophy; polemical tracts and heresiographies. Muslims and Zoroastrians also showed increasing awareness of and interest in the Bible, as exemplified by the “Legends of the Prophets” anthologies produced during the period and the appeal to biblical verses in anti-Jewish and anti-Christian polemics.

To help create a foundation for the study of this, one of the last frontiers in the history of biblical studies, the Writings from the Islamic World (WIW) series makes available original sources from the Arabic tradition, including translations of the Bible and commentaries, as well as texts, translations, and studies related to the cognate literature. Texts in Arabic will be the primary focus, but works produced in other languages will be included as well, especially Armenian, Hebrew, Persian, and Syriac. Volumes, which typically include an Introduction, the original text with English translation, explanatory or textual notes, bibliography, and indices, are ideal for both scholars and students of religion, culture, and the history of exegesis during the medieval period."

http://www.sbl-site.org/publications/books_WritingsIslamicWorld.aspx 

Posts 26543
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 31 2014 11:13 AM

Thanks Nico. This looks very interesting.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 80
Daniel R Bartholomew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 2 2015 11:11 AM

Yes, I agree--especially Hadith Collections, Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawood, al-Tirmidhi and Al-Nasa'i.  These would be of great value for apologetics and for general scholarly research on Islam.

Posts 1423
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 2 2015 11:54 AM

Yes

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS