Faithlife Media, copyright question

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1347
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 24 2014 12:04 PM

I'm working on a blog post about Ezekiel 43-44, part of his longer vision (40-48) about the ideal Israelite temple. I found a very nice picture/diagram of Ezekiel's temple in the Faithlife Studybible Infographics. 

Can I use that image on the web, provided it has the proper attribution/linking? I'm a little unclear about Faithlife and copyright. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 24 2014 12:56 PM

Ben:

I'm working on a blog post about Ezekiel 43-44, part of his longer vision (40-48) about the ideal Israelite temple. I found a very nice picture/diagram of Ezekiel's temple in the Faithlife Studybible Infographics. 

Can I use that image on the web, provided it has the proper attribution/linking? I'm a little unclear about Faithlife and copyright. 

This is an EXCELLENT question.  I don't have an answer, but am looking forward to hearing it.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 1347
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 24 2014 2:58 PM

Bump.

Anyone? Bueller?

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2993
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 24 2014 3:06 PM

I am curious about this answer too.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 26117
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 24 2014 4:16 PM

I'm too lazy today to find the actual statement but essentially you are encouraged to use them in presentations etc. but you can't use them for commercial gain.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 12:03 AM

We need to write up a formal answer for this that handles all the example cases.

For now, we're definitely okay with you using our material in teaching, preaching and presentations. We aren't okay with you 're-publishing it' without permission, or re-selling it. A blog post is a bit weird, because it's effectively a public (and very re-usable) sharing of the media. I'd prefer if you used a slightly scaled down version in your blog post; you can link to a full-res version hosted at http://bible.faithlife.com, or the one you get if you use Visual Copy from inside the app (which is probably down now, but should be back up soon).

We'll write up and publish more detailed instructions soon -- if this isn't enough, do what you need to do for now. In general our interest is in sharing and re-use, as long as we get attribution (and ideally a link back).

Thanks!

-- Bob

Posts 2993
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 6:42 AM

Bob Pritchett:

We need to write up a formal answer for this that handles all the example cases.

For now, we're definitely okay with you using our material in teaching, preaching and presentations. We aren't okay with you 're-publishing it' without permission, or re-selling it. A blog post is a bit weird, because it's effectively a public (and very re-usable) sharing of the media. I'd prefer if you used a slightly scaled down version in your blog post; you can link to a full-res version hosted at http://bible.faithlife.com, or the one you get if you use Visual Copy from inside the app (which is probably down now, but should be back up soon).

We'll write up and publish more detailed instructions soon -- if this isn't enough, do what you need to do for now. In general our interest is in sharing and re-use, as long as we get attribution (and ideally a link back).

Thanks!

-- Bob

Thanks Bob!

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 1347
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 6:50 AM

Will do.

Many thanks for the guidance.

Posts 281
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 10 2014 6:40 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Thanks!

-- Bob

I wonder, I was thinking of publishing my audio sermons on youtube and using the powerpoint slides as the video component. I am guessing from your statement that this would count as a presentation and thus be OK?

Posts 31
Tony J. Bowe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 15 2015 6:24 PM

I am starting a blog and hoping to use some Faithlife media on my posts. Sounds like if I use the Visual Copy feature and provide attribution (including a link-back), I should be good, correct? Thank you for this incredible resource! God bless you!

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 15 2015 9:50 PM

Bob Pritchett:
We'll write up and publish more detailed instructions soon

Any progress on getting these instructions written up and posted somewhere?

Posts 31
Tony J. Bowe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 8:53 PM

[bump]

I am hoping to use some media on the new website I am creating... Grace 3:18

Thanks!

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 8:58 PM

I've bumped this up to Phil Gons for a response.

Posts 1
Bill Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 4 2015 9:37 AM

Just upgraded to 6 for the improved copy capability. Want to use the process to share media to a closed Facebook group (Bible study small group) as teaser for the week's lesson. Can I legally do this?

Posts 27442
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 3:36 PM

Updated policy statement: https://www.logos.com/copyright-permissions 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2993
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2015 4:16 PM

alabama24:

Updated policy statement: https://www.logos.com/copyright-permissions 

That's pretty straightforward.

How to upload logs