SSD vs HDD on i5 laptop - is it worth moving to SSD?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 25 2014 8:16 AM

OK, I have laptop with an i5 (dual-core) with a 7200 rpm SATA drive. I am considering an SSD to help with speeding up Logos. My drive interface is SATA, so I know that is another limiting factor along with the dual-core i5. I have a very fast graphics card, but the drive even being 7200 RPM has always been the slowest component.

If I go to an SSD - currently considering a Samsung 840 EVO - will I notice an increase in speed in Logos -loading, searching, switching between layouts, etc.? Is it worth it?

Posts 3022
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 8:25 AM

Bill from everything I have heard, yes, you would see a significant increase.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 277
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 10:46 AM

Bill Cook:

If I go to an SSD - currently considering a Samsung 840 EVO - will I notice an increase in speed in Logos -loading, searching, switching between layouts, etc.? Is it worth it?

Moving to a system with an SSD did give me a significant performance boost. Also  as well as the areas you mentioned, I noticed indexing, when required, is also much faster.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 10:57 AM

Bill Cook:

OK, I have laptop with an i5 (dual-core) with a 7200 rpm SATA drive. I am considering an SSD to help with speeding up Logos. My drive interface is SATA, so I know that is another limiting factor along with the dual-core i5. I have a very fast graphics card, but the drive even being 7200 RPM has always been the slowest component.

I've got an SSD and saw a significant improvement in speed, particularly with indexing. I can't speak about the specific SSD you refer to. I would say, however, that you haven't told us how much RAM you've got - I got a significant speed improvement when I increased from 4 to 8GB of RAM. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 11:21 AM

Do You have license keys for all other expensive software such as MS Office? If not it may not be worth it to switch to SSD.
I have a desktop computer with a good recent CPU and I doubt I will be able to copy everything from the old drive to the new because there's so much on the drive. The previous user had all kinds of things, mostly games installed (he had uninstalled the games just before selling it to me). Only if I find a lot of media files and such on it which can be deleted or moved elsewhere I could do it. The spare SSD I have is only 120 GB. The desktop came with 12 GB RAM installed when new which I think is the right amount of RAM at least for a desktop. Re-installing Windows 8.1 myself wouldn't be all that expensive, on the other hand I could save my spare Windows license for future use. (It currently has Windows 8.0, I hope it can be upgraded to 8.1 without re-installation of the whole system because there's Office 2013 installed.)

One thing You probably know is that an SSD consumes barely any electricity compared to a HDD or hybrid drive. This can make a big difference on a laptop. I know it would make a difference for me, even so I haven't upgraded to SSD on my newest laptops yet, I'm waiting a little longer until there's a reason to also because of wear on the HDD:s, I don't want to experience any disk failure. Anyway, if copying everything from the old drive to a new, there must not be any errors on the old drive because all errors are copied as well.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 11:37 AM

David Taylor Jr:

Bill from everything I have heard, yes, you would see a significant increase.

Ditto.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 24946
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 1:28 PM

Bill Cook:
My drive interface is SATA, so I know that is another limiting factor along with the dual-core i5.

If you have SATA II (3 GB/s) or SATA III (6 GB/s), OR if your laptop is no more than 6 years old, you will benefit from an SSD.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 487
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 2:01 PM

I moved to SSD on my laptop which is just over six years old (SATA I, I believe) a couple of years ago, and it made a very significant improvement. It's allow me to extend the usefulness of the laptop for at least a few more years (I've no intention to replace it in the next couple of years. I've since got an i5 quad-core desktop (some applications work faster on i5 than on i7), and I don't use the laptop for everyday use, but it is great for Sunday services and occasional use out and about.

Posts 107
Jarred Edgecombe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 2:24 PM

John, I was thinking about going with a desktop (I have used laptop exclusively for 8 years), but I am hesitant because don't have to worry about syncing documents with the laptop. How do you keep your documents in sync as you work from different locations and on different devices?

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 2:28 PM

Jarred Edgecombe:

John, I was thinking about going with a desktop (I have used laptop exclusively for 8 years), but I am hesitant because don't have to worry about syncing documents with the laptop. How do you keep your documents in sync as you work from different locations and on different devices?

Jarred

Dropbox is your friend (other cloud solutions are available) but I like Dropbox. Just to be sure I run time machine on the back of the iMac and the MacBook Air.

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 3:27 PM

Greg:

I have 8GB RAM

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 3:28 PM

Dave:

it is SATA I...

Posts 24946
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 3:50 PM

Bill Cook:

Dave:

it is SATA I...

Consider its age and when you plan to upgrade the computer, as John mentions above.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 122
NK | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 5:07 PM

Yes Definitely worth it.  If your HDD is larger than your SSD there are tools around that can allow you to move your OS across and leave files you don't want on another (storage) drive.  Having my OS and Logos on the same SSD, priceless.

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 6:30 PM

Thanks all to the helpful advice.

Posts 487
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 1:52 AM

Jarred Edgecombe:

Hi Jarred, good question.

I use Sugarsync to keep my files both backed up in the cloud and synced between laptop and PC. There are many cloud backup providers, but SugarSync does so automatically, and allows automatic sync between two or more computers. You can choose which folders and subfolders to sync - I sync most of My Documents (excluding some large GB folders) as well as some other folders. I don't have to think about backup/sync, since files are automatically backed up immediately when saved (or as soon thereafter as possible), and automatically downloaded to the other computer within seconds if both are on and connected to the internet. There is also an Android app, and I believe a iPad app too.

I also have local 2TB external hard drive backup on the PC, but in case that gets damaged or stolen I want to be assured that my most important files are safe in the cloud. Logos files do not need to be backed up since Logos backs them up for us (although I'm not sure about the latest status regarding personal books).

One point, though, sync programs like SugarSync must be enabled all the time (unlike Dropbox). That is, don't disable it and keep working for a while, since when it is activated again it might not assume that the new files on one computer should be copied to the second, but that the absence of them on the second means that they should be deleted from the first. I found that once when I moved and renamed folders, and it wasn't able to keep track of things as they happened. But it's worked brilliantly and unobtrusively in the background since I keep it running all the time.

I use Dropbox too, for backup and sharing with others who prefer to use it.

Posts 107
Jarred Edgecombe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 6:59 AM

John Duffy:

Jarred Edgecombe:

Hi Jarred, good question.

I use Sugarsync to keep my files both backed up in the cloud and synced between laptop and PC. There are many cloud backup providers, but SugarSync does so automatically, and allows automatic sync between two or more computers. You can choose which folders and subfolders to sync - I sync most of My Documents (excluding some large GB folders) as well as some other folders. I don't have to think about backup/sync, since files are automatically backed up immediately when saved (or as soon thereafter as possible), and automatically downloaded to the other computer within seconds if both are on and connected to the internet. There is also an Android app, and I believe a iPad app too.

I also have local 2TB external hard drive backup on the PC, but in case that gets damaged or stolen I want to be assured that my most important files are safe in the cloud. Logos files do not need to be backed up since Logos backs them up for us (although I'm not sure about the latest status regarding personal books).

One point, though, sync programs like SugarSync must be enabled all the time (unlike Dropbox). That is, don't disable it and keep working for a while, since when it is activated again it might not assume that the new files on one computer should be copied to the second, but that the absence of them on the second means that they should be deleted from the first. I found that once when I moved and renamed folders, and it wasn't able to keep track of things as they happened. But it's worked brilliantly and unobtrusively in the background since I keep it running all the time.

I use Dropbox too, for backup and sharing with others who prefer to use it.

Thank you John,

Currently I do all my study and writing on a six year old laptop whose time is about done. For preaching and teaching I move all my documents over to my iPad 2 via dropbox. I am weighing the whole "Do I ditch a laptop and move Surface Pro 3 or buy a cheap desktop and cheap tablet?" question right now. Although I talked to a friend last night who did a good job of selling me on a Macbook, even though that wasn't his intent.

Posts 487
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 7:20 AM

Jarred Edgecombe:
Currently I do all my study and writing on a six year old laptop whose time is about done. For preaching and teaching I move all my documents over to my iPad 2 via dropbox. I am weighing the whole "Do I ditch a laptop and move Surface Pro 3 or buy a cheap desktop and cheap tablet?" question right now. Although I talked to a friend last night who did a good job of selling me on a Macbook, even though that wasn't his intent.

Hi Jared,

I thought of upgrading to a good laptop, but I went for a desktop instead, since I could install a decent graphics card. So, I now have three 22" monitors on my desktop, which I couldn't do as easily with a laptop (although I believe some USB graphics adaptors are available, but they take up CPU overhead to run). Each now does what it does best, desktop for desk work with multiple monitors, laptop for out and about e.g. church song/hymn presentation software, and Samsung Note 10.1 for out and about when I don't need the laptop e.g. for Bible studies using the Logos app (I have a document transfer process in place for preaching from it, but haven't done it live yet).

I can't comment on Surface Pro or Macbook as I know next to nothing about them.

Posts 107
Jarred Edgecombe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 8:35 AM

John,

I like your plan. I want to move to multiple monitors also. So now I have some food for thought.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS