[resolved] 6.0a: BUG: PBB error when rebuilding

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 50 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 18204
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 28 2014 11:10 AM

Bump!

A number of other people are running up against this bug and it's become quite annoying. Any word on attempts to reproduce it given the info I've provided?

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/98408.aspx

It appears to be an old bug around from L5 days:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/72548.aspx 

And a possibly related one, but may be a different bug (also still not fixed):

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/97489.aspx 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 28 2014 12:02 PM

Rosie Perera:
A number of other people are running up against this bug and it's become quite annoying. Any word on attempts to reproduce it given the info I've provided?

Follow-up to thread => https://community.logos.com/forums/p/98262/679755.aspx#679755 was initial creation completed successfully followed by closing PBB resource, changing docx trying to remove some warnings, and trying to build, which received an error.

Run Close All (and waited for sync to complete), then opened Personal Book tool for another build:

The LogosError.log file shows several sync errors with servers:

7801.PBB-Build-Fail-LogosError.zip

Only way to clear sync lock of PBB so can rebuild is restart Logos; seems PBB sync failure lacks graceful handling Crying

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18204
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 28 2014 12:36 PM

Bradley, have you seen that KS4J has suggested the cause of this problem: a sync lock on the PBB resource which cannot be released until Logos is restarted. Workaround is compiling PBBs while offline. But that's irritating to have to do. Wish this issue could be fixed in Logos:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/98408/679783.aspx#679783 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 28 2014 3:24 PM

Rosie Perera:
Workaround is compiling PBBs while offline.

Workaround does not work.  When offline in 6.0b Beta 3, synchronization queue still raises error (even though all resources have been closed):

2014-12-28 16:17:45.0415 1 Info AppCommand (Timed) Executing command: Close|Kind=AllPanels
2014-12-28 16:17:45.0695 1 Info AppCommand (27ms) Executing command: Close|Kind=AllPanels
2014-12-28 16:17:46.6026 1 Info ElementUtility Couldn't find default focus; focus set to first focusable item.
2014-12-28 16:17:47.8597 1 Info AppCommand (Timed) Executing command: PersonalBooks
2014-12-28 16:17:47.8617 1 Info PanelViewModel Applying panel settings for Preferences:
2014-12-28 16:17:47.8627 1 Info PanelViewModel Got panel settings for History:
2014-12-28 16:17:47.9177 1 Info AppCommand (57ms) Executing command: PersonalBooks
2014-12-28 16:17:48.1597 1 Info ElementUtility Couldn't find default focus; focus set to first focusable item.
2014-12-28 16:17:51.9479 1 Info ElementUtility Couldn't find default focus; focus set to first focusable item.
2014-12-28 16:17:53.8650 1 Info PersonalBookViewModel (Timed) Compiling Personal Book
2014-12-28 16:17:53.9320 1 Info ElementUtility Couldn't find default focus; focus set to first focusable item.
2014-12-28 16:17:55.7351 5 Warn AsyncWorkItem Async work threw exception: LDLS4.Panels.PersonalBookBuilderPanel.PersonalBookBuilderException: Could not remove existing resource. Please close all other open panels and try again.
at LDLS4.Panels.PersonalBookBuilderPanel.PersonalBookConverter.<CreatePersonalBookWork>d__c.MoveNext()
at Libronix.Utility.Threading.AsyncWorkerTask`1.EnumMoveNext()

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7679
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 10:28 AM

Rosie Perera:
Bradley, have you seen that KS4J has suggested the cause of this problem: a sync lock on the PBB resource which cannot be released until Logos is restarted.

I have seen that post, but I have no idea what "sync lock on the PBB resource" means. (Sync doesn't "lock" PBB resources.) And now it looks like KS4J is saying that the workaround doesn't actually work. (Which doesn't surprise me, because I don't believe the problem has been diagnosed accurately.)

Posts 7679
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 10:30 AM

Rosie Perera:
OK, I've sent the file, but I've found that the error occurs no matter what PBB I'm trying to rebuild, so there must be some other reason on my system that it's failing every time.

Can you reproduce the problem if you open Logos 6 to a blank layout, and only open the Personal Books Tool panel?

Posts 18204
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 11:14 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Rosie Perera:
OK, I've sent the file, but I've found that the error occurs no matter what PBB I'm trying to rebuild, so there must be some other reason on my system that it's failing every time.

Can you reproduce the problem if you open Logos 6 to a blank layout, and only open the Personal Books Tool panel?

I will try it when I get home. I'm still with family back East for the holidays, returning to Vancouver tonight. No time to play with it right now on my laptop, as I have to get ready to get to the airport.

Posts 10269
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 1:10 PM

I'm not Rosie, but I can confirm that the build failure still occurs under this scenario. L6.0b Beta 4 Mac OS 10.10.1

Mac Logs | PC Logs | Install 

Posts 7679
LogosEmployee

I've done a little more digging and stumbled across something that may be related to this problem. (It's WPF-related and only seems to be triggered when there are no other resources open, so trying this workaround is unlikely to help Mac and is unlikely to be causing the problem shown in your second screenshot, which showed multiple resource panels. There's probably more going on here; as mentioned, I can't reproduce this anywhere near as easily as you can.)

When you get the "Could not remove existing resource" error, trying opening a new resource from the Library (that's not already open). Then click Finished then Build Book again; does that avoid the error?

Posts 10269
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 7:09 PM

When you get the "Could not remove existing resource" error, trying opening a new resource from the Library (that's not already open). Then click Finished then Build Book again; does that avoid the error?

Afraid not. Now, it says, "Build failed with 2 errors, 0 warnings"

Here are the last two PBB logs. Hope they tell you something worthwhile.

6472.Archive.zip

Posts 7679
LogosEmployee

Jack Caviness:
Afraid not.

It was a workaround for Windows:

this workaround is unlikely to help Mac

Posts 10269
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 30 2014 2:42 AM

this workaround is unlikely to help Mac

You said unlikely; I just confirmed that it would not work Big Smile

Really cannot understand why you cannot reproduce it as it has been a bug since at least L5 for me—and others.

Posts 17
Andy Arkusinski | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 30 2014 8:40 AM

I can confirm that none of the suggested fixes work for me, running on a Mac.  Sorry, I posted details in the original thread, thinking this was a PBB Sync discussion, with which I have no familiarity.

Can only do one Personal Books compile without a Logos restart

Posts 18204
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 30 2014 2:48 PM

Yes, for me that does seem to allow me to build the book again without errors. Just that one time, though. If I tried to build it yet again right away, it fails. But if I open another new resource, then I can go back and build that PB successfully. Weird.

So at least you've found a workaround for Windows, and hopefully this might give you a clue as to how to fix it so we don't have to do the workaround. But I see from the others that it doesn't fix it for Mac.

Posts 10269
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 30 2014 4:51 PM

Rosie Perera:
But I see from the others that it doesn't fix it for Mac.

Crying

Posts 17
Andy Arkusinski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 4:58 PM

More information from a Mac user.

After the first PB compile, I cannot recompile that, or any other PB in my library.  However, I can add a new PB and compile it successfully.  I just did about four new PBs in a row.  This is true even if there is an unsuccessful recompile of an existing PB in the sequence.  (I tried that just to eliminate a variable.)

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 7 2015 12:02 PM

Rosie Perera:

Yes, for me that does seem to allow me to build the book again without errors. Just that one time, though. If I tried to build it yet again right away, it fails. But if I open another new resource, then I can go back and build that PB successfully. Weird.

So at least you've found a workaround for Windows, and hopefully this might give you a clue as to how to fix it so we don't have to do the workaround. But I see from the others that it doesn't fix it for Mac.

Rosie, I mentioned in the bug aggregate thread that I was able to reproduce the issue with your provided document. We have active cases for a few different issues pertaining to recompiling personal books, and there are developers actively looking into it. I don't know how far they are from completely fixing the issue, but I will say that progress was made as recently as Monday.

Just wanted to reply here as well.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 18204
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 7 2015 1:51 PM

Dylan Rondeau:
Rosie, I mentioned in the bug aggregate thread that I was able to reproduce the issue with your provided document. We have active cases for a few different issues pertaining to recompiling personal books, and there are developers actively looking into it. I don't know how far they are from completely fixing the issue, but I will say that progress was made as recently as Monday.

Great. Thanks! It will be good to finally get this taken care of. I'm not sure why it's been so hard to reproduce, but glad my document helped.

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 2:19 PM

Rosie Perera:

Dylan Rondeau:

Great. Thanks! It will be good to finally get this taken care of. I'm not sure why it's been so hard to reproduce, but glad my document helped.

This should be fixed in 6.1 Beta 1. Big Smile

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 10269
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 6:06 PM

Dylan Rondeau:
This should be fixed in 6.1 Beta 1. Big Smile

I'll be there. Bring on the lions beta.

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS