Atlas Tool not working

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 288
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 29 2014 12:39 PM

I don't know if this is just since the outage, but when I use the Atlas tool, of the several places I searched, the map displayed was not for the search place.

Did the Atlas work better before the outage or has it always had issues? At any rate the Atlas tool for me is not useful.

Has anyone had better results with the Atlas tool?

Posts 10582
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 1:18 PM

Didn't really try the Atlas prior to the outage, so I can't comment on the before and after performance. However, it appears that the Atlas is a not ready for prime time feature. See Error in Bible Atlas 

Posts 60
LogosEmployee
Hoong-Ern Ng | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 10:42 AM

It's very possible that we just haven't produced maps relevant to that area yet, which is an ongoing process, but if you're able to recall the place(s) you were searching for and the search results, that may help to rule out any potential software bugs

Posts 288
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 12:02 PM

Hoong Ern Ng:

It's very possible that we just haven't produced maps relevant to that area yet, which is an ongoing process, but if you're able to recall the place(s) you were searching for and the search results, that may help to rule out any potential software bugs

Here is three examples of what I see:

I see the same map as above for Thyatira.

Posts 10582
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 12:10 PM

Bob Soule:

Thank you, Bob. That pretty well illustrates the results I see for any search. So far, I have not found a search that yields proper results.

Posts 5092
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 12:28 PM

I get the same results but I don't believe the Atlas tool is not working.  It's simply a case of the underlying tagging  / data sets not being completed. I agree it would be preferable to have it all completed but the day Logos says we've completed all possible tagging a new resource will come along that will require tagging so the job will never be really done.  It's disappointing locations like the Seven Churches in Revelation 2-3 don't seem to have the underlying tagging / data sets ready, it seems to me this would be something people are very likely to want to look up in the Atlas tool.  That said an extra click on Media Search (yellow highlight in screen shot) from within the atlas quickly enables me to find a relevant map within my library.

Now of course this map I choose from this search won't have all the features of a map built specifically for the Atlas tool but it's still very useful.  I'd love the supporting data for the Atlas to be further along the road, but I can still access maps for a location without too much effort.

Posts 60
LogosEmployee
Hoong-Ern Ng | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 12:57 PM

Bob Soule:

I see the same map as above for Thyatira.

This seems to be mostly an issue of story maps not having been produced for those locations yet (as opposed to the fairly general biblical world maps), and so the search results may not be especially useful. Most of the maps we currently have relate to the life of jesus, and adding more maps is something that we're actively working on.

For your 2nd screenshot seen above, I'm guessing that whichever map you had open closed on you. Just wanted to note that this is a known bug and has been fixed for the next release.

Posts 5092
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 1:08 PM

Hoong Ern Ng:
Just wanted to note that this is a known bug and has been fixed for the next release.

Thanks for the update on the bug fix related to this particular map.  Hopefully that will make the user experience more satisfactory for everyone until you can get more 'story maps' produced.

Posts 288
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 1:11 PM

Disciple of Christ (doc):

I get the same results but I don't believe the Atlas tool is not working.  It's simply a case of the underlying tagging  / data sets not being completed. 

I think it is more than tagging, if you start the Atlas tool from the the tools menu you get the same results as starting the atlas tool from the right click menu within a resource. Also, as you can see from above Pergamum gives no map available message, which I think there should be a map of this.

And as Jack has posted "Error in Bible Atlas" the maps often seem to be from the wrong era.

Two last points:

• I understand the Atlas tool uses a Logos Server for it's data and not from any local datasets.
  • And the zoom in and out often produces a distorted map.

Posts 288
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 1:17 PM

Hoong Ern Ng:

Most of the maps we currently have relate to the life of jesus, and adding more maps is something that we're actively working on.

I think I had higher expectations for this tool. For now the maps resource does seem the way to go.

Posts 5092
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 1:20 PM

Bob Soule:

Disciple of Christ (doc):

I get the same results but I don't believe the Atlas tool is not working.  It's simply a case of the underlying tagging  / data sets not being completed. 

I think it is more than tagging, if you start the Atlas tool from the the tools menu you get the same results as starting the atlas tool from the right click menu within a resource. Also, as you can see from above Pergamum gives no map available message, which I think there should be a map of this.

And as Jack has posted "Error in Bible Atlas" the maps often seem to be from the wrong era.

Two last points:

• I understand the Atlas tool uses a Logos Server for it's data and not from any local datasets.
  • And the zoom in and out often produces a distorted map.

Bob there is a bug that has been pointed out with the Biblical World Map which I think is causing some of the issues and I'm not a technical expert on these stuff so was just using the words I best understood. The failthlife employee that has responded indicated more "story maps" need to be produced which is what I was I was essentially saying but did not know how to say it since I dont' know how these things are built. I'm with you on wanting more the atlas becoming more usable just didn't' think it broken, other than the known bug

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS