College Press NIV commentary

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 640
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 29 2014 7:35 PM
Is anyone willing to share their opinion concerning this set? Is it very exegetical or critical? Thanks in advance. Here is the link: https://www.logos.com/product/44195/college-press-niv-commentary
Posts 640
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 7:37 PM
Sorry, don't know how to make the link active from my android phone.
Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 8:02 PM

I've used it via Logos for years. It's less technical than something  like Word Biblical Commentary; more thorough than the IVP New Testament Commentary or Bible Knowledge Commentary. 

In the College Press Commentary, Greek and Hebrew words are usually transliterated into English. IMHO most of its comments tend to be more traditional exposition than oriented to form or source criticism.

I have it in the middle of my Logos resources: below the heavy hitters like WBC already mentioned; above the lightweights like Barclay. I think of it as about on par with New American Commentary and Black's series. It's often a go-to series if I'm limited on time and need a quick, single resource.

By the way, like any commentary series strength varies by book to book and author to author.

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 8:07 PM

I have really enjoyed the set.  But there is no real consistency on their level of scholarship.  For example there is a 2 part, extremely scholarly approach, to the book or Romans.  While others can be lacking.

I have to say that Dr. Davis' commentary on Revelation is wonderful.  I had a class with him on another topic and he has that perfect balance of scholarly and simplicity.

I am also waiting on Mark Moore's updated commentary on Acts which should be very scholarly like the others I mentioned.

I still have found it well worth the investment.

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 8:08 PM

Into Grace:
Is anyone willing to share their opinion concerning this set? Is it very exegetical or critical? Thanks in advance. Here is the link: https://www.logos.com/product/44195/college-press-niv-commentary

I just made your link active.

Probably the best description of these commentaries that I have heard is that they are a "lay-level exegetical".

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 640
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 8:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I may upgrade the Baptist base package to Platinum.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS