Using and not abusing feedback

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 1 2014 8:49 AM

In my own ministry and that of others, I have seen this over and over: people who are bulldogs scare others who don't bother them; people who are nice however are asked to bend over backward. Often they are the ones of whom it is demanded to willingly absorb blows in order to avoid bothering the bulldogs. In other words, nice people are often treated worse because they are nicer than those who are not as nice.

I have been a Logos customer for a long time and have written my fair share on the forums. Some of it is appreciative and other times, complaints/whining or suggestions. I hope that my complaints have been gracious and constructive but as the Scripture says, we all stumble in many ways, especially with what we say. But still, I was thinking about other Bible software I have used. They had no forum that I know of, they had no uservoice, they had little customer service presence. Their software was not perfect, far from it and considerably more limited than Logos. Yet they never heard a complaint from me. Why? Well in great part because it would not have been as easy to complain to them. And what I mean is this: if their software was broken, sure, I would have picked up the phone and endured waiting on the line, repeated emails and that kind of hassle. But if I thought their font selection stunk (and it did) or other features could really be better, it was not worth the trouble. Moreover, these software were so comparatively rudimentary and so more rarely updated/upgraded that it just did not convey an expectation of feedback-based improvement. Remember Pradis (shivers in my back)? I have used Windows (and Office) for many years and I don't think it has ever crossed my mind to offer improvement suggestions. I might have done it once or twice during that time and certainly did not wait expectantly for implementation in the next release!

So, while it is fair game, I think, to complain where applicable or to point out when something could be improved, and without speaking in ANY WAY about what grievances others may have had and whether they would have ground to shake the tree, I just want to recognize that the feedback culture that Logos has created and sustains is quite exceptional. I am grateful for it and I hope that I have not and will not do what I have at times been the victim of: abusing of those who are being nicer. 

Posts 86
J David Shuttleworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 8:57 AM

Well said. 

Bless!!YesYes

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 9:03 AM

Francis:
I just want to recognize that the feedback culture that Logos has created and sustains is quite exceptional.
With all of it's ups and downs along the way, I agree Francis. Yes

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 9:09 AM

TCBlack, where have you been? I have not seen your username for quite a while. I was actually wondering about that the last time I took a peek at Truth is Still Truth.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 9:41 AM

Francis:

TCBlack, where have you been? I have not seen your username for quite a while. I was actually wondering about that the last time I took a peek at Truth is Still Truth.

Busy happens more than I like.

The site is badly in need of the rest of the updates though.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 975
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 3:47 PM

Francis:
I just want to recognize that the feedback culture that Logos has created and sustains is quite exceptional.
Yes

Posts 102
Jarred Edgecombe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 3:57 PM

This is the third post along these lines in a week. What I find interesting is that when the "Bulldogs" are called-out, their response is more or less, "You're way too sensitive. That's just the way it am." I would agree that some don't display a lot of grace in their communication.

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 11:04 PM

Jarred Edgecombe:
I would agree that some don't display a lot of grace in their communication.

The bulldogs in my post are not a reference to people/practices in these forums. While we can have our personal opinions about what other people post and how they communicate, it is also annoying when someone has a legitimate complaint and others who either have not had such a bad experience or are of a different opinion discount their discontent. I have at times been of the receiving end of this at times and that's why I think it best to avoid commenting on the virtues of others' posts (Luke 6:31). Who appointed us to do so anyway? There are times when I feel in myself the desire to appear more spiritual or wise, a 'light to the foolish'. Even as I write this, this feeling is not completely absent... Ecc 4:4.

No, my post is about the tendency I would see in myself and that others may also feel to complain before thinking just because it is easy to do so, and the need to exercise some discernment and restraint in the recognition that it is something good -- an exceptional feedback-based culture -- that makes it so easy for me to do so. Hence, not to "abuse" instead of "using" something that is nicely offered that many others don't offer. The challenge for myself is very much so that of tongue (or pen or keyboard) and the point of Ephesians 4:29; Galatians 5:13. 

Posts 485
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 2 2014 11:34 AM

Francis:

Yes

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 2 2014 12:47 PM

I know I am more than a little to blame. I was not trying to discourage anyone for getting Logos to work for them. Just debate inflammatory language... To say it is "the worst mac program ever"... "to slow to be useful"… "crashes repeatedly"… "most mac users are having the identical issues". These things may be true for them. But they are little use without context that the programers and or other users can use to offer help. I do realize that people sometimes need to vent their frustration. I also admit I was far to sharp with some peoples problems I do apologize and admit I was wrong. And when they elaborated their problems I agreed they were having serious issues. And encouraged them to submit logs to help solve them, and even suggested some drive maintenance that might solve some of their issues. I wish i could always be a Barnabas but sometimes i do slip into behaviour more like James and John (good intentions but harsher and definitely not Jesus' desire).

-dan 

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 2 2014 9:10 PM

Francis:
I just want to recognize that the feedback culture that Logos has created and sustains is quite exceptional. I am grateful for it and I hope that I have not and will not do what I have at times been the victim of: abusing of those who are being nicer. 

Great post. I love cultures that have a "feedback rich environment" like Faithlife.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10124
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 6:06 AM

I'll stick with the bulldog team.  On the other software sites where bugs and user issues are aplenty, the conversation is short, frustrated and usually 3-4 entries for either fixing it, saying they're not going to fix it, or some sort of workaround.  And for good reason:  the company's have a paid representative to assist customers.  

I suspect also, many of the sites I see are for business people where the product isn't a hobby.  Music, art, geology, etc.  The customers need to get actual work done.

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 6:19 AM

Denise:
I'll stick with the bulldog team

To each his (or her) bone.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS