Page 4 of 5 (90 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 89 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 66
John W Gillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 4:54 PM

Donald Antenen (Faithlife):
all who purchased it in Verbum 9 packages

FWIW - I have not received this, and I've purchased both Verbum 9 Gold and Verbum 9 Academic Professional. This is not a complaint - I've waited about 10 years for this resource, I can wait a few extra days - but if the logic is supposed to be pushing this down to Silver+ packages, it might be a bit buggy.

Posts 1013
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 5:13 PM

Mark Nolette:

It showed up on the Android and iOS apps for me this morning!  

Ah, there it is. Just found it ready. Not sure why the release was different, but all is good Smile

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 97
Greg Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2020 4:28 AM

I'm thrilled to see the Catholic Encyclopedia available now. The really great thing that I've found is that the Factbook points to articles in the Catholic Encyclopedia for a number of key articles. I made a few Factbook entries to see which resource(s) would be linked as the key article.  Here's an example of items that pointed to the Catholic Encyclopedia: Charlemagne, John Duns Scotus, Pope Pius IX, Easter, Council of Trent, Athanasian Creed, Philosophy of Immanuel Kant, Renaissance, Roger Bacon, Galileo Galilei. I have the 1917 Appleton Publishing Company hardcover set of Encyclopedias and know how good they are. It's great to see it being utilized in the Factbook! 

Great job Faithlife!

Posts 293
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2020 8:51 AM

John W Gillis:

all who purchased it in Verbum 9 packages

FWIW - I have not received this, and I've purchased both Verbum 9 Gold and Verbum 9 Academic Professional. This is not a complaint - I've waited about 10 years for this resource, I can wait a few extra days - but if the logic is supposed to be pushing this down to Silver+ packages, it might be a bit buggy.

Try restarting your software. It should be available to you now.

Posts 5033
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2020 9:46 AM

Greg Rose:
I'm thrilled to see the Catholic Encyclopedia available now.

I'm also glad I have it in Verbum.

It's a little odd to see it in my library as a Logos Reader Edition; given that there is no such indication of that on its product page and that it is an encyclopedia, of all things, I would like to assume that it will soon be a Logos Research Edition.

Posts 2768
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 6:49 AM

Am reading a book that quotes heavily from this work.  Have verified that that author correctly quoted the first three references they made.

[That is why we have large libraries -  so we can independently verify what someone tells us.  We can never get all the references used but we can check a sample]   

Posts 240
Brian Losabia | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 6:59 AM

This is a really impressive resource; just a few clicks after my quick lookup of Purgatory, I was adding notes to City of God in an impromptu study session.  I'm really glad that I'll have this in the library going forward!  Thanks, and Merry Christmas everbody.

Posts 1013
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 8:51 AM

David Ames:

[That is why we have large libraries -  so we can independently verify what someone tells us.  We can never get all the references used but we can check a sample]   

👍

That’s why I find the large libraries invaluable. While I might disagree with a theologian outside of my tradition, I always want to learn the context of what was said instead of relying on a potentially inaccurate  interpretation of a quote from someone who disagrees. Verbum has made that much easier For me to do.

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 2768
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 10:17 AM

David Wanat:

That’s why I find the large libraries invaluable. While I might disagree with a theologian outside of my tradition, I always want to learn the context of what was said instead of relying on a potentially inaccurate  interpretation of a quote from someone who disagrees. Verbum has made that much easier For me to do.

Amen!  And sometimes we see that the 'outside of my tradition' authors have some real positive views that have value. 

Posts 1854
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2020 4:58 AM

SineNomine:
It's a little odd to see it in my library as a Logos Reader Edition; given that there is no such indication of that on its product page and that it is an encyclopedia, of all things, I would like to assume that it will soon be a Logos Research Edition.

Another example of why I think the Product Details section should always show every metadata element relevant to a buying decision. If the marketeers are frightened by all of that busy-busy at once, they could initially show only the elements that serve their purposes and then provide a 'More' link for the inquisitive.

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 2768
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2020 5:29 AM

Robert M. Warren:
 they could initially show only the elements that serve their purposes 

FL is at its core a business. Its main function is to sell lots of ebooks.  So its initial purposes would be to get us to buy the resource! 

Posts 5033
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2020 6:18 AM

Robert M. Warren:

SineNomine:

Another example of why I think the Product Details section should always show every metadata element relevant to a buying decision. If the marketeers are frightened by all of that busy-busy at once, they could initially show only the elements that serve their purposes and then provide a 'More' link for the inquisitive.

I've now also noticed that, unlike Logos.com, Verbum.com doesn't seem to have a page that explains the differences between the two editions, and there's seemingly nothing about them in the Verbum.com FAQ.

Posts 885
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2020 7:13 AM

The Logos description says it’s 16 volumes, which includes volume 16 with a lot of supplementary articles. However, what Logos just rolled out to us is only volumes 1 through 15.

How do we get volume 16 included in our Catholic encyclopedia?

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 97
Greg Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2020 2:05 PM

I have the original hardcover from the early 1900s. Volume 16 is called "Index/Reading Lists". Maybe they haven't finished that one yet. 

Posts 5033
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 3:23 PM

SineNomine:

Also being discussed here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/197592.aspx

Posts 293
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2020 12:55 PM

Improving the CE (internal linking, etc) and its connection to Factbook is an ongoing project. As you can imagine, there is a huge amount of text, so since its release we've noted places that need fixing or improvement. Please list instances here or email us as you find them!

Posts 97
Greg Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2020 1:58 PM

Thanks for the update Don. Do you know if there is to be a volume 16? The Catholic Encyclopedia is certainly a great resource to have available in Verbum.  I think it's especially nice to have the Factbook point to entries in this resource for "key articles"!

Posts 5033
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2021 10:24 AM

Please list instances here or email us as you find them!

It's not quite what you have requested, but there seems to be a common problem in the text of "è" frequently having been auto-corrected to "È". An inline search for Nève or Liège will find a number of examples. I've reported some as typos. This has messed up the names of at least three Factbook articles: https://ref.ly/logos4/Factbook?ref=bk.%25FelixJeanBaptisteJosephN%C3%88ve_Person & https://ref.ly/logos4/Factbook?ref=bk.%25Balderic_Person & https://ref.ly/logos4/Factbook?ref=bk.%25AlgerOfLiEge_Person

Posts 1013
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2021 2:09 PM

SineNomine:

It's not quite what you have requested, but there seems to be a common problem in the text of "è" frequently having been auto-corrected to "È". An inline search for Nève or Liège will find a number of examples. I've reported some as typos. This has messed up the names of at least three Factbook articles: https://ref.ly/logos4/Factbook?ref=bk.%25FelixJeanBaptisteJosephN%C3%88ve_Person & https://ref.ly/logos4/Factbook?ref=bk.%25Balderic_Person & https://ref.ly/logos4/Factbook?ref=bk.%25AlgerOfLiEge_Person

I can replicate:

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 2580
LogosEmployee

SineNomine:

Thanks for the report. I've passed this on to our Factbook data team.

Page 4 of 5 (90 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS