Improve Library Browsing

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18672
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 4 2014 12:59 AM

Make it possible to change the library filter by clicking on fields in some way. For example maybe Alt-click since that isn't already used for something else. 

Here's a scenario: As I'm looking through my library listing, I come across a book that's part of a series. I wonder what other books are in that series. It's most cumbersome to have to click on the series field in the Info panel, then Ctrl+C to copy it, then type series:" then Ctrl+V to paste then type the closing ". I'd rather simply be able to Alt+click on the series field where it appears in the Library. Similarly for authors (to filter by that author), publishers, subjects, etc.

I like the way you can do it for individual Tags by clicking on the tag over in the info panel. So figure out some way for us to be able to do it with other fields. Thanks.

If enough people comment on this post thinking it sounds like an interesting/useful idea, I'll create a UserVoice suggestion for it.

Posts 21941
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 1:11 AM

Hi Rosie

Nice ideaYes

Graham

Posts 10055
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 3:20 AM

Great idea!

I saw this lately in a totally different product and it's amazing how 'filtering by current cell content' improves the efficiency of use.

Yes

(*whisper to myself: much more worth of development effort than that 'find duplicates' idea someone recently suggested /whisper*)

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 44
Schamma | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 3:45 AM

Yes

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 3:59 AM

That would certainly be useful. I too find myself doing exactly what you've described.

Personally, I think the best UI for this would be to make the Author/Series name clickable in the info panel on the right. That's more intuitive than Alt+click.

Posts 30
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 5:35 AM

Yes

It would also be nice if the generated library filter could automatically add quote marks for an exact match, if there is spaces in the search criteria. 

Posts 1949
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 5:37 AM

Anything that improves library browsing is a welcome suggestion

Posts 3084
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 2:30 PM

I agree. Beer

Mark:

Anything that improves library browsing is a welcome suggestion

mm.

Posts 18672
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 8:40 PM

Jacques:
It would also be nice if the generated library filter could automatically add quote marks for an exact match, if there is spaces in the search criteria. 

That wouldn't be merely "also...nice" -- it would be a buggy implementation if they didn't do that, since quote marks are required for it to work properly.

Posts 18672
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 8:43 PM

Mark Barnes:
Personally, I think the best UI for this would be to make the Author/Series name clickable in the info panel on the right.

That would work fine for Author. But the Series name already is clickable, but it goes into Edit mode when you click on it, so you can't double-load that action and make it also do something else.

Also what about Subject? The subjects do not appear in the info panel on the right, and I'd want to be able to do this with subjects too. And perhaps even Publisher too, but the Publisher doesn't appear in the info panel except as part of the full citation.

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 11:28 PM

Preferably, it should have an interface action that makes the clickabe author/series/publisher the new search filter and one that adds it to the current filter if you want to stack options. And have it work in the Resource's Info View as well as the Library's Info View.

See also: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/73581/514937.aspx#514937

Another nice option might be a button or resource menu option that creates a new collection based on the current library filter, incl filter and currently selected collection, if any, (from the search In field).

Posts 541
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 6:44 AM

Sounds like a very useful feature YesYes

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS