e-Ink eReader - Onyx Boox Afterglow 2 (Logos on Kindle-like screen)

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 8
Brian Hammonds | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 10:19 PM

Randle, any advice on rooting? I've never rooted a device before, so I'm unfamiliar with the process. But if it allows me to move the Logos app and its resources to my 32gb microSD card, than I'd want to try. Does rooting allow that to happen?

Posts 88
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 14 2015 11:58 PM

Let me get back to you on that one. I googled it and had to-  use this app in another language. I can't remember where I got it but remember it being a bit fiddly. I'm going to try the SD link on Monday, so I'll let you know how successful I am with that 

Posts 2616
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 16 2015 8:27 AM

All right, I've written to Onyx support and asked whether they have ANY device with the default storage setting.

Might depend on the Android version I think.

I'll add their reply to this thread...

Rooting is something I'd like to avoid - I've done that with my previous Onzx device, and it's a lot of hassle.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 614
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 16 2015 11:56 AM

Thanks for letting me know about that e-reader company. I've just ordered the brand new inkBook Onyx 6" model, which looks like it is superior to Amazon's excellent Voyage but a lot cheaper. I may post a review here when I've received the inkBook and had a chance to install and use the Logos app.

EDIT: When I mentioned that the inkBook appears to be superior to the Voyage I should have added the exception that the Voyage has a higher screen resolution, namely 300 ppi compared to the inkBook's 212 ppi. However, given that the Voyage won't install the Logos app, I can imagine that it will be far more pleasurable to read Logos books on the inkBook's 212 ppi display than not being able to read them in 300 ppi!  Wink

Posts 88
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 16 2015 11:54 PM

I've just started using Link2SD (Plus). I'm not sure why I didn't do it sooner! It has completely solved my app storage issue!!!

Here are the steps I used to make my Onyx Boox Afterglow 2 work with enough space for my purposes:

1. Root the Onyx Boox Afterglow2 using the attachment here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3018678#post3018678) Yes, I had to use google and it took a few reboots to get right. I think it was also a fiddle to get SuperSU installed.
  2. I followed this guide to then get Link2SD working. Using my laptop I created an external micro SD card partitioned with 75% FAT32 and 25% ext2 using MiniTool Partition Wizard
  3. Installed link2SD and link2SD Plus on my onyx.
  4. Inserted micro SD card  and followed link2SD's prompt to choose ext2 and reboot.
  5. Started moving apps.

I wish I could be more helpful with the rooting, but unfortunately it was 8 months ago and I've forgotten the exact steps. If you have trouble, ask around the forum I linked to (or google). I also have SD Maid Pro installed, OneDrive and Titanium Backup, but haven't bothered with a custom launcher.

Posts 427
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 17 2015 10:11 AM

Link2SD (Plus) also allows you to move data (like Logos resources) to your external SD card. If Link2SD won't do the data links for you for some reason, try foldermount. I have used foldermount successfully. 

A word to the wise: although most user apps can be moved to the external SD card, some apps you should not be. Don't move to the external SD card any app that needs root access. Don't move Google Play Store to external. I've tried this, and these apps do not like it! But for FL apps, and many user apps you are likely to install on this kind of device (eBook reading apps, Instapaper, Pocket, Divine Office, iBreviary), it works very well.  

For rooting, I have found that the Root Master apk has worked easily and flawlessly for me in the past. If anyone is interested in this, let me know.  

Posts 88
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 17 2015 5:19 PM

Yep. I've found the moving of data to work perfectly on Link2SD (Plus). I think it also prevented me from moving parts of Google Play Store to prevent issues, but thanks for the heads up on not moving apps needing root access!

Posts 1518
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 2:35 PM

Gordon Jones:

Thanks for letting me know about that e-reader company. I've just ordered the brand new inkBook Onyx 6" model, which looks like it is superior to Amazon's excellent Voyage but a lot cheaper. I may post a review here when I've received the inkBook and had a chance to install and use the Logos app.

EDIT: When I mentioned that the inkBook appears to be superior to the Voyage I should have added the exception that the Voyage has a higher screen resolution, namely 300 ppi compared to the inkBook's 212 ppi. However, given that the Voyage won't install the Logos app, I can imagine that it will be far more pleasurable to read Logos books on the inkBook's 212 ppi display than not being able to read them in 300 ppi!  Wink

Gordon, how has your experience with the inkBook Onyx Carta been? How is the screen light?

Posts 614
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 14 2015 3:57 PM

Hi Devin,

Sadly my experience with the product was disappointing.

Battery life was very poor - only lasting a few days rather than the advertised weeks.

I was able to install the Logos android app via Amazon Apps, which I side-loaded (Google Play Store wasn't available). Unfortunately, the text in Logos resources displayed as pale grey rather than the high contrast, near black on near white, of regular epub or PDF files.

I returned the unit and the company is processing a refund.

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS