Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2708
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 6:11 AM

Steve:

Currently at 320 votes!  Smile

343 now--closing in on 350, and still the most votes of any request!

Posts 35
Jeff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 27 2017 1:25 PM

It would be great to have the Knox bible but this and other books have been there for years. Do we have any evidence of Uservoice votes playing a role in Faithlife's decisions about future titles?

Posts 2708
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 29 2017 7:00 AM

Yes. In fact, some such evidence is visible on that UserVoice, mostly in German.

Posts 2708
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 11 2017 9:09 AM

358 votes, still at the top, and still going up!

Posts 96
LogosEmployee
Craig St. Clair (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 11:52 AM

I'm working on it.  Lots of Verbum irons in the fire with publishers right now.

Craig St. Clair | Verbum Product Manager |

Posts 2708
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 12:13 PM

Craig St. Clair (Faithlife):

I'm working on it.  Lots of Verbum irons in the fire with publishers right now.

YesYes

Posts 5196
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 19 2018 9:11 PM

Thank you so much for this good news. 

-dan

Posts 83
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2018 9:33 AM

I know someone who lovingly calls the Knox translation the "Revised Wodehouse Version". I hope we can add it to Verbum.

Posts 5196
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2018 11:44 AM

While it can be quite pithy.... Especially when we get into the psalms and he truly gives us the acrostics in english...

Psalm 118 (Hebrew 119) Shows that while he wished to remain faithful to the text he also tried his best to duplicate what helped make the original so memorable.

81 Keeping watch for thy aid, my soul languishes, yet I trust in thy word. 82 Keeping watch for the fulfilment of thy promise, my eyes languish for comfort still delayed. 83 Kitchen-smoke shrivels the wine-skin; so waste I, yet never forget thy will. 84 Knowest thou not how short are thy servant’s days? Soon be my wrongs redressed. 85 Knaves will be plotting against me still, that are no friends to thy law. 86 Knaves they are that wrong me; bring aid, as thy covenant stands unchanging. 87 Keep thy bidding I would, though small hope of life they had left me. 88 Kind as thou ever wert, preserve me; then utter thy bidding, and I will obey.

Comparing that to the Douay-Rheims Bible which is closer to a literal rendering of the vulgate's latin:

81 My soul hath fainted after thy salvation: and in thy word I have very much hoped. 

82 My eyes have failed for thy word, saying: When wilt thou comfort me? 

83 For I am become like a bottle in the frost: I have not forgotten thy justifications. 

84 How many are the days of thy servant: when wilt thou execute judgment on them that persecute me? 

85 The wicked have told me fables: but not as thy law. 

86 All thy statutes are truth: they have persecuted me unjustly, do thou help me. 

87 They had almost made an end of me upon earth: but I have not forsaken thy commandments. 

88 Quicken thou me according to thy mercy: and I shall keep the testimonies of thy mouth. 

The Holy Bible, Translated from the Latin Vulgate (Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software, 2009), Ps 118:81–88.

-dan

Posts 5
Jeff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2018 11:25 AM

This is the best news I've I've heard in a long time. So happy to hear that there's some movement on the Knox Bible. I know that you're focused on the ordinary form of the breviary (Liturgy of the Hours) but while you're working with Baronius Press on the Knox Bible, you may also want to look into their 1961 English/Latin edition of the Roman breviary (which is also valid and licit for regular use in the Church today). So many historical resources on Verbum refer to the breviary in its pre-1970 form. Baronius Press's version is a faithful reproduction of old 1963 Collegeville edition but with the Gallican Psalter (instead of the Pian Psalter). I highly recommend it for Verbum. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS