Logos 6 is Slow

Page 2 of 6 (107 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 106 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 3
Michael Crosswhite | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 6:24 AM

I have a rMBP w/ 16GB of Ram and if I scroll ANYTHING I get a pinwheel. Then a crash. Followed by a reboot. I'm thinking about reinstalling Logos to see if it fixes the issue.

Posts 281
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 6:25 AM

Dan Francis:

I have no idea what is going on with 6. As I said above I was having no issues or speed issues on my macBook Pro... It is fully true it takes about 90 seconds to load completely for me but after that I have smooth sailing. I was a bit puzzled to see the complaint by the mac user and hope that tech support can help him ASAP. 

-Dan

I am having no issues with my iMac Logos 6 like you (to start up it takes about 15 -20 sec), however I am on the beta on my iMac. It is only on windows do I have performance issues. I am surprised more windows users have not chimed in on this post.

Posts 504
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 6:45 AM

Although I DO NOT have a powerhouse machine, it is adequate but Logos runs slow for me as well but it always has! For speed and stability issues Logos is NOT my program of choice and hasn't been for a while. There are many things to be liked about Logos but speed and stability are not two of them!

Bob Deacon

Dell Inspiron, Windows 10 Latest Update

Surface Pro 6

MacBook Air (2017) Catalina

Ipad Air 2 (ios 8.2.1)

Motorola G6 Play (android 8.3.1)

Posts 37
GCFSR | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 6:07 PM

I have Logos Bible Software 6.0a SR-5 6.0.1.1352 installed in windows and OSX.

In Windows, I have HP book pro 15" i5 2.3ghz 4G RAM 500 HD SATA. The speed is slow. It hung sometimes during searching and using using visual copy, etc.

In OSX, I have Macbookpro retina 15" i7 2.5ghz 16G RAM 512 SSD. The speed is very fast. I did not experience the hanging while searching, using visual copy, etc.

This is just my observation.

Cheers! 

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 27 2014 12:16 PM

Yep.  Just upgraded yesterday.  It's molassas, similar to Logos4.  Just watching the molassas dripping, it looks like they converted only part of the code.  If you put a tab over top the older Logos Media Hymnal, and then remove it, the amount of cycles needed to re-paint is really unbelievable.  And when you hit the end of the buffers while paging, it's serious refresh buffer time.  They're not refreshing in the background.

Absent Rick's work (Passage Guide, etc), I think I'd done better to wait for Logos7 (just guessing at how long it'll take to get back to Logos5 speeds).  

Posts 2718
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 28 2014 7:12 AM

Imagine trying to index a 10GB library on a machine that's extremely under powered. I just bought an HP Stream 13 and it only comes with 32GB of storage built-in. I tried installing Logos but it takes up all of the free space, so I put it on an SD card and it's been indexing for over a day now and still only at 14%.

I sure wish Logos would figure out a way to pre-index libraries and then download them for these kinds of machines that are rare, but seem to be getting more prevalent with Windows 8 tablets running only 32GB and sometimes 16GB. I'll give it another day, but may have to just not bother with Logos on it, which would mean using WORDsearch 10 which runs just fine.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 28 2014 9:50 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Imagine trying to index a 10GB library on a machine that's extremely under powered.

A Dell Latitude ST tablet is under powered with an Intel Atom Z670 CPU at 1.50 GHz so indexing a library with 50 GB of resource files is not practical; would take many days along with potential for extensive heat build-up.  Fortunately, the tablet has 128 GB SSD so can clone complete Logos library.  Due to CPU slowness, have turned off wireless access on tablet to avoid network infections while not running real time anti-virus software.

Thankful for method 1 to copy indexes and resources => https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

For Logos 6, plan to create a virtual machine with 32 bit Windows 7 on a fast Dell laptop (same OS as slow tablet).  Optionally can use Logos 6 offline in VM so could reduce library size for indexing (by hiding resources) and subsequent cloning.  Note: if choose to hide resources, prudent to not sync that installation with Logos servers to avoid hiding propagation.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 52
Erwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 1 2015 7:55 AM

I also have noticed that Logos 6 is much slower than Logos 5. I am using Windows 7. It seems to hang as I scroll down open resources.

Posts 491
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 2 2015 5:49 PM

I thought the performance issues would long be in the rear view mirror with Logos 6

Mac Pro Server 48 GIG RAM 4 Core
Saphire 7950 3 Gig Graphics Ram
Various High Speed Direct PCI-E SSD's

Still slow spinning beach balls , hangs, etc - It is so frustrating
All my other pro apps which are heavy on all the above hardware sing and dance with no performance issues.

Put a call into tech support, and I am sure they will sort out any obvious problems -

Posts 3057
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 2 2015 8:43 PM

Does anyone have any ideas for speeding up the software that are specific to 6?

Posts 491
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 8:34 PM

Though I opened up a ticket Friday with Tech Support and received a trouble ticket number, they never called me back.

Guess I have to wait until Monday to get some assistance.

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 5 2015 8:50 AM

Even since November, it seems as if Logos 6 has been getting slower and slower.  Even after I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled Yosemite and Logos 6, I am still having real speed issues.  It is most noticeable when I add prayers to my prayer list and work with my daily devotional "Treasures Old and New"  (adding notes to the Hebrew takes a good 30 seconds or more to register).  

When I first bought Logos 6, it seemed much faster.  What happened?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 7:30 PM

Michael Sullivan:
Even after I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled Yosemite and Logos 6, I am still having real speed issues.  It is most noticeable when I add prayers to my prayer list and work with my daily devotional "Treasures Old and New"  (adding notes to the Hebrew takes a good 30 seconds or more to register).  

Do support steps help ? => https://www.logos.com/support/logos6/mac/error-yosemite

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 10:56 PM

Michael Sullivan:
When I first bought Logos 6, it seemed much faster.  What happened?

I noticed it too!

Posts 8
Jeremy Duncan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 11:37 PM

Does anyone know how to initiate a return? I see promised of a 30 money back guarantee but I can't seem to figure out how to access it.

Posts 21939
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 11:41 PM

Jeremy Duncan:

Does anyone know how to initiate a return? I see promised of a 30 money back guarantee but I can't seem to figure out how to access it.

You would need to contact Customer Services - details at https://www.logos.com/contact 

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 10 2015 4:27 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Do support steps help ? => https://www.logos.com/support/logos6/mac/error-yosemite

Keep Smiling Smile

I have not tried these steps because they seem to address the issues of downloading on indexing.  I have not had a problem with downloading an indexing - especially after I did a clean install of my operating system and programs.  Everything downloaded and indexed fine.  (I didn't get any error messages and the computer did not time out through out the entire process.  

Do you think these steps would help when adding prayers to my prayer list or working with a Hebrew devotional?

Posts 21939
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 10 2015 4:46 AM

Michael Sullivan:
Do you think these steps would help when adding prayers to my prayer list or working with a Hebrew devotional?

As per https://community.logos.com/forums/p/99007/683932.aspx#683932 these steps have helped performance issues in at least one other case.

Posts 17
shawn mathis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 10 2015 9:33 AM

"When I first bought Logos 6, it seemed much faster.  What happened?"

I noticed that as well with respect to first starting the program. Now it first starts slower (about 1 minute) before I can start using it. I think it loads quicker when I close it and start it again. (I suspect some indexing or some such because Chrome does the same thing on first start up). Otherwise the movement of the window is smoother than the previous version and word searches and scrolls run fine as a rule. 

Win 7 x64, 16Gb, i7

Posts 8
Jeremy Duncan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 12 2015 12:03 PM

Thanks for the link. The response from Customer service was very fast and they initiated the refund right away. Great customer service. Thank you Logos.

Page 2 of 6 (107 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS