Logos 6 is Slow

Page 6 of 6 (107 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
This post has 106 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 258
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 6:09 AM

I would probably not consider a gaming laptop for a couple of reasons. You will be paying extra (potentially a lot extra) for 3D graphics, sound and other capabilities that Logos will never use, and battery life on such laptops is usually far below average. They also cost more, and I'm assuming based on the current Celeron purchase that price is an important factor. There are many great mid-range laptops that should run logos just fine. Look for one that has 2 key features:

1) i5 or i7 processor (non-Celeron)

2) SSD 128GB or higher (256 or more for a big library)

If you want a nicer laptop and are willing to spend a little more to get one, a Dell XPS 13 is a really great choice and can be had new for about $999 (new, not on sale). Otherwise, any mid level one with at least the above to specs should be fine.

I'm running Logos on a mid level machine with an i7 and a non SSD and while it isn't blazing fast, it runs logos perfectly well.

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 6:32 AM

Try and get 6 GB or Ram. Although I have found that the Ssd can make up for 4 GB of Ram.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 10:23 AM

danwdoo:
You will be paying extra (potentially a lot extra) for 3D graphics,

I believe visual copy and the Atlas both would highly benefit from that, although it likely not enough a reason to get one.

-Dan

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 5:41 PM

danwdoo:
You will be paying extra (potentially a lot extra) for 3D graphics, ...

Depends on Logos usage; personally use many visual filters that benefit from faster graphics.  Thankful for NVidia control panel option so can choose faster graphics for Logos while using built-in Intel graphics for other programs.

Caveat: Dell laptop battery life when using many visual filters is an hour or two.

On a Dell tablet with an under-powered Atom CPU and SSD, Logos is sluggish so use a couple visual filters.

Laptops have limited hardware upgrade options: CPU and graphics are never upgradeable.  Depends on model if RAM can be upgraded; newer ultrabook models have memory surface mounted on motherboard that cannot be upgraded.

danwdoo:

1) i5 or i7 processor (non-Celeron)

2) SSD 128GB or higher (256 or more for a big library)

+1 Yes Concur, especially newer generation CPU's that have faster graphics.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 5:55 PM

Thanks for the tips--will make note for future purchases.

Posts 258
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 11:06 PM

Very, very true. I forgot to mention RAM in my post. 8GB would be very helpful, though I think we can all agree an SSD is probably the one thing with the most impact. Fortunately, in most cases RAM and Hard Drives are the two things you can often upgrade later (though not always!)

Posts 258
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 7 2015 11:13 PM

This would largely depend on whether Logos coded these features to use the correct graphical APIs to take advantage of these processors. It would be nice to have a definitive answer as to if it will take

Page 6 of 6 (107 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS