Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 8
Shiloh Church | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 16 2014 11:52 AM

For about 2-3 years we have been using proclaim.  My first reaction was to be greatly impressed (cloud based presentation support), but as time has ticked by, I have been less impressed.  Features were fast in coming initially, but proclaim has been fast left in the dust by other products such as media shout, EW, and mostly Pro Presenter.  I have patiently waited for new features like DVD support and Twitter Hashtag presentation support, but none of this has come.  The product seems to becoming more buggy, crashing more often, and the remote iPad support seems to be very flaky.  

I have debated for about a year now whether to leave the proclaim community, which honestly seems to be abandoned by logos, or to hang in there and see what comes.  Well, my decision is now this… We will leave the proclaim community mid-year and no longer renew subscriptions if I do not see any real progress towards additional features and greater support of this product.  Pro Presenter and Easy Worship have both offered our church multiple opportunities to get conversion discounts and it is becoming harder to say no when I see no effort on the part of Proclaim to unveil new features.  In this day and age of social engagement in worship communities I simply do not see why twitter hashtag engagement has not been added when all the other worship presentation platforms have it and the lack of DVD integration is very difficult when oftentimes churches uses worship DVDs for choir musicals.  

I look forward to hearing back from someone in the near future.  Thank you!

Posts 36055
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 16 2014 1:04 PM

The forums are populated by other users of Faithlife products with Faithlife staff looking in primarily for bugs and suggestions - not following every post. You should also send a copy to Faithlife proper,

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3502
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 16 2014 3:45 PM

Shiloh Church:

For about 2-3 years we have been using proclaim.  My first reaction was to be greatly impressed (cloud based presentation support), but as time has ticked by, I have been less impressed.  Features were fast in coming initially, but proclaim has been fast left in the dust by other products such as media shout, EW, and mostly Pro Presenter.  I have patiently waited for new features like DVD support and Twitter Hashtag presentation support, but none of this has come.  The product seems to becoming more buggy, crashing more often, and the remote iPad support seems to be very flaky.  

I have debated for about a year now whether to leave the proclaim community, which honestly seems to be abandoned by logos, or to hang in there and see what comes.  Well, my decision is now this… We will leave the proclaim community mid-year and no longer renew subscriptions if I do not see any real progress towards additional features and greater support of this product.  Pro Presenter and Easy Worship have both offered our church multiple opportunities to get conversion discounts and it is becoming harder to say no when I see no effort on the part of Proclaim to unveil new features.  In this day and age of social engagement in worship communities I simply do not see why twitter hashtag engagement has not been added when all the other worship presentation platforms have it and the lack of DVD integration is very difficult when oftentimes churches uses worship DVDs for choir musicals.  

I look forward to hearing back from someone in the near future.  Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear the features you're looking for are not available. We do our best to prioritize feature development based on what we think will best help our users but we don't always get it right. I can assure you that Logos/Faithlife has not abandoned support for Proclaim. We are very much committed to this product and its future.

Since Proclaim is a subscription product we tend to ship smaller updates at a greater frequency than traditional client applications. The updates shipped since last April can be seen here.

In response to the features you mention

• DVD support - this one has been on our list since day one. I think the reason it has never made the cut is it breaks the collaboration aspect of Proclaim. I'm not saying it will never happen but it's not currently at the top of our list.
  • Twitter hashtag support - I assume you're referring to presenting a live twitter feed? I haven't heard a lot of requests for this but I'll bring it up at our next planning meeting. One possible workaround in the meantime could be to use a web page service item referencing an existin online service.

The original Proclaim Remote was written using an embedded web view. While this was great for getting it up and running quickly on multiple platforms it has significant performance and stability issues. Therefore we've been working on a complete rewriting using native Android and iOS technologies. This project is currently in open beta, more information here

Hope this helps and I hope you stick around, Proclaim has some pretty cool features planned for 2015.

Posts 8
Shiloh Church | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 7:44 AM

I do look forward to seeing what features y'all roll out.  I posted about the Twitter integration a long while back on the suggestions page, but somehow it disappeared and then I just recently posted again.  We all know that the best advertising/outreach is word of mouth.  Well, getting your congregation involved in worship by allowing their tweets on screen, getting prayer requests that you might want to mention, or even asking the pastor a question via tweet that could be displayed is HUGE.  This is an especially useful feature when considering youth worship services.  Think about it...  300 people in worship, tweeting with a supported hashtag that goes out to the world and selectively displaying some of these tweets on screen.  Huge interactive possibilities and huge advertising/outreach potential.   This tool does need to have the ability to filter, because just an unfiltered live stream could become problematic.  See attached link for info on this from eh media shout page.  http://www.mediashout.com/mediashout-features

Posts 8
Shiloh Church | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 7:48 AM

I will stand by the fact that DVD support is important, but, in the meantime we just use handbrake to rip and insert.  Kind of troublesome, but you do what you have to do...

Posts 126
Jared Schwyhart | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 11:40 AM

I agree with the Twitter Feed, however not the DVD feature. DVDs are dead and everything is stream/cloud/storage based now. I'd rather see the Proclaim team use its resources elsewhere. Spending 100k+ to add this feature wouldn't be wise since it's dead technology.

Also, there are several ways around not using a DVD. In my experience, using DVDs in a presentation was never that great anyway. It's just not very interactive and its sluggish.

Posts 126
Jared Schwyhart | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 11:41 AM

DVDs were first used in like 1998...It's almost 2015 for goodness sake.

Posts 5977
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 2:27 AM

Jared Schwyhart:

Somebody gave me a DVD recently - we had trouble finding a player in the house. Not that we didn't have one - we just hadn't used one for ages.

Only one of our four computers has a player built in and that is because it is old and slow.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 742
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:24 AM

So why do we waste and money on newer technologies as in a few years time they are to be useless - and even more gallingly maligned by techno-junkies.

Sorry but I have been through, 8 track, compact cassettes, 45s, LPs, CDs, Betamax, Analogue TV, VHS, now DVD, Film Cameras, 5.1/4 floppy discs, 3.5 inch floppy disks etc etc etc.

It is just ridiculous.

Sigh

Shalom - roll on the Kingdom of God on earth!

Posts 5977
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 12:12 AM

Kevin A Lewis:
It is just ridiculous.

Kevin A Lewis:
So why do we waste and money on newer technologies as in a few years time they are to be useless

Hear! Hear!

I told my wife 'If the washboard was good enough for my grandmother it was good enough for her'

I never bought her one of these new fangled washing machines.

Her next husband did though - he's a wimp!

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 742
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 1:55 AM

Mike Binks:

It's not that I am against technology - I work as a DBA in IT and I am a Logos user for goodness sake.

However it is this relentless replacementism that appears to have little or no direction to it and certainly no thought for more cost conscious and sober minded people who want/need to get off the treadmill.

Somewhat related text (but only somewhat is Alvin Toffler's Future Shock. Little read these days it seems.

Interestingly - some read the "increase of knowledge" of Daniel 12:4 - to mean an "increase of technology" (see http://www.finalevents.com/Event1/Sign10.asp?p=O)

Interesting arrival of the "knowledge worker" - I suppose I am one of those.

n.b. I also you presentation software at church

Shalom

Posts 740
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 5:01 PM

Mike Binks:

Kevin A Lewis:
It is just ridiculous.

Kevin A Lewis:
So why do we waste and money on newer technologies as in a few years time they are to be useless

Hear! Hear!

I told my wife 'If the washboard was good enough for my grandmother it was good enough for her'

Her next husband did though - he's a wimp!

I chuckled more than once at that one, Mike!

Posts 44
Joni lum | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 1:27 PM

I use proclaim in kids ministry,  despite DVDs being out of date, a lot of kids curricuLum are released only on DVD, not downloadable files.  So, we don't really have many options, we have to play, or we rip..which is not approved by most curricuLum producers.

Posts 8
Shiloh Church | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 1:52 PM

I would like to see logos involve a select group of users in feature requests that users NEED.  Proclaim user voice is too vague and overrun by too many requests.  

I stand by the fact that hashtag feeds are great to involve the congregation (and available on every other platform) and until choir musicals/choir special are available via download, DVDs are needed. 

Posts 3133
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 4:38 PM

Shiloh Church:
Twitter Hashtag presentation support

No dogs, not my fight, not a pastor or worship leader, etc.  But I am very curious...what is the practical application of a hashtag twitter feed in a worship service? I'm not being flippant, I'm seriously curious because I've never seen anything like that.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3133
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 4:48 PM

Jared Schwyhart:
DVDs are dead

Oh, really? Just for the week of Nov. 30th, there were 6.5 million DVDs sold in the US for just over 79 million dollars. Add in Blu-ray sales, which are also DVDs, and the numbers jump to 8.4 million and 121 million dollars. That's in a week.

I can still detect a pulse.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 8
Shiloh Church | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 5:02 PM

Multiple applications:

-post questions and comments on messages for pastor to address

-post comments and pics from worship to encourage social network engagement 

-allow song requests on the fly for music nights or concerts

-engage congregation before church to invite people to church

-dnow and youth camp, post comments about what is taking place in lives

Posts 3502
LogosEmployee
Scott Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 5:52 AM

Shiloh Church:

Multiple applications:

-post questions and comments on messages for pastor to address

-post comments and pics from worship to encourage social network engagement 

-allow song requests on the fly for music nights or concerts

-engage congregation before church to invite people to church

-dnow and youth camp, post comments about what is taking place in lives

We discussed Twitter hashtag support the other day and it sounds like something we will likely pursue in a future release. Thanks for the feedback!

Posts 232
Todd Frusti | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 22 2014 6:17 AM

Shiloh Church:
I will stand by the fact that DVD support is important, but, in the meantime we just use handbrake to rip and insert.

The last couple of years I've been using Wondershare Video Converter.  I think the price of Wondershare is fair at about $50.   I haven't yet come across a DVD (or portion of a DVD) that it can't ripp or convert to a file.  The software has made it pretty easy for me to insert a movie clip into a presentation.  You might want to give the trial version a spin.

Posts 59
Douglas E Cutting | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 27 2014 7:13 PM

Jared Schwyhart:

Automobiles were first used in 1885... it's almost 2015 for goodness sake, where is my Jetsons style flying car.  No offense, but this is an illogical argument.  People still use DVDs quite regularly.  I'm a software developer and am very much a fan of cloud technology and the like but I also recognize that it's not always reliable and know DVD technology is still very valuable.  We often have missionaries and guest speakers who come in on Sunday morning with a presentation on a DVD and I don't have time to spend 30 minutes before service starts to rip the video and put it in Proclaim.  I have been a Proclaim user since the early beta days before their initial launch and they have been promising DVD playback since then.  With each new feature released I wonder what ever happened to the promised DVD feature.  I agree that it may not be the most used feature but it is one of those features that is critical when the situation arises that it's needed.  I would ask Proclaim to consider this very soon.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS