Dynamic Pricing requests

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 3 2015 3:35 AM

I've just added some resources to the Metadata corrections proposals wiki page. It's great to see that Hayley from Logos has been keeping track of that page, and actioning many of the proposals.

We could do with something similar for bundles missing dynamic pricing. I know we can create a single thread, but requests can get buried under lots of discussion. Or we could create a new thread everything we notice a problem, but they're likely to get missed. A wiki page might be the answer. 

Of course this will only work if a Logos staff member wants to take responsibility for it, and agrees that this is a good way of going about it. What about it Logos?

(And for the record, here's what I'd like to add to it.)

Missing dynamic pricing:

Broken dynamic pricing:

Posts 1825
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 5:25 AM

For Academic users, discount + dynamic prices are always messed up.

Say, Ariel Ministries Messianic Collection (11 vols.) price for academic is $250. But later I bought Israelology: The Missing Link in Systematic Theology (that's part of Ariel Ministry). And the price still hasn't change. Still $250.

Same with The Northwestern Publishing House Electronic Library: Collection One (100 vols.)

I own/bought part of this, and no dynamic price, still showing academic price.

Is this the intended plan? Because it is very discouraging buying more resources.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 12:04 PM

Yes, I like that idea, Mark. I hope Logos/Faithlife likes it too and someone takes responsibility for checking it

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 12:26 PM

mike:
Is this the intended plan?

It is intended. You can't get academic discount for dynamically priced products. For that reason your dynamic price can sometimes be higher than your academic price. You're shown the lowest of the two prices.

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 12:32 PM

Mark Barnes:
Of course this will only work if a Logos staff member wants to take responsibility for it, and agrees that this is a good way of going about it. What about it Logos?

If we build it...?

I think that anything done to make it easier for Faithlife to fix the Dynamic Pricing problem(s)* and to make it more obvious will also increase the chance of something being done about this.

*Depends on how you look at it.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 5:23 PM

Mark Barnes:

mike:

It is intended. You can't get academic discount for dynamically priced products. For that reason your dynamic price can sometimes be higher than your academic price. You're shown the lowest of the two prices.

I did not realize it worked that way.  That's helpful to know.

Thanks.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 9:38 PM

mike:

For Academic users, discount + dynamic prices are always messed up.

Say, Ariel Ministries Messianic Collection (11 vols.) price for academic is $250. But later I bought Israelology: The Missing Link in Systematic Theology (that's part of Ariel Ministry). And the price still hasn't change. Still $250.

Same with The Northwestern Publishing House Electronic Library: Collection One (100 vols.)

I own/bought part of this, and no dynamic price, still showing academic price.

Is this the intended plan? Because it is very discouraging buying more resources.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Tabletalk is another one. I've bought 60 individual tabletalks at 2$ each. The price for tabletalk is still I think the same (EDIT: double checked. the price dropped from 287 to 263 after having bought 60 volumes). Thus the rule about never buying the same book twice only applies if you are not on academic discount. Then you best better believe you're going to have to do so quite frequently. 

In the table talk scenario 289 titles at 287$ works out to be about 99 cents a title. thus 60 titles ought to be 59$ and change off the cost of the big package. However it doesn't work that way. It used to be 287$ whether you owned any or not. Happy to see the amount lower but am still perplexed as to why the math doesn't work. its not like there are volumes of disparate value. Some worth 3 or 5$ while others are worth .1 - .15 cents. 

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 9:40 PM

Mark Barnes:

mike:

So what about the policy that you never have to buy the same book twice?

as it stands in a 10 book set, if I already own the first 9, I'd have to re-buy them to get the tenth title. Dynamic pricing isn't a discount, its a way to keep you from having to buy the same title twice.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 10:06 PM

abondservant:

Mark Barnes:

mike:

So what about the policy that you never have to buy the same book twice?

as it stands in a 10 book set, if I already own the first 9, I'd have to re-buy them to get the tenth title. Dynamic pricing isn't a discount, its a way to keep you from having to buy the same title twice.

There isn't an across-the-board "policy that you never have to buy the same book twice." Academic discounts and Dynamic Pricing are mutually exclusive. You can't apply them both together. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy via the Academic pricing model (discount) and sometimes it is cheaper to buy via Dynamic Pricing. In the example you give, let's assume your Academic pricing on the 10 book set (regardless of the fact that you already own 9 of the books through other means) would be $100 (a deep discount off the full price for the set that most people pay), but if you bought just the last remaining book by getting it via Dynamic pricing, your price would be much less, say $15. Then in this case, you'd be better off going with Dynamic Pricing instead of your Academic discount. If you had bought the first 9 books as stand-alones at Academic prices or got some of them through sales or as freebies, then in the end you're still winning big time over people who buy the whole set at the collection price with no Academic discount.

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 11:53 PM

abondservant:

Dynamic pricing isn't a discount, its a way to keep you from having to buy the same title twice.

I don't agree with Logos' policy with regard to academic pricing/dynamic pricing.

However, it's important to note that Logos aren't saying you can't get dynamic pricing if you get academic pricing. They're saying that you can't get academic pricing if you're getting dynamic pricing.

So whilst we both see dynamic pricing as more of a 'right' than a courtesy, academic pricing is a courtesy. And it's academic pricing that you lose, not dynamic pricing. (I know that looking at it this way around doesn't make any practical difference to the outcome. But it does make a difference to the rights or wrongs of Logos' policy.)

abondservant:
as it stands in a 10 book set, if I already own the first 9, I'd have to re-buy them to get the tenth title.

That's unlikely to be the case. Let's imagine a bundle of 9 equally-priced items for $100. With academic pricing you get 30% discount on this product.

• If you owned 0 volumes, you'd pay $70 on academic pricing.
  • If you owned 1 volumes, you'd pay $70 on academic pricing.
  • If you owned 2 volumes, you'd pay $70 on academic pricing.
  • If you owned 3 volumes, you'd pay $67 on dynamic pricing.
  • If you owned 4 volumes, you'd pay $55 on dynamic pricing.
  • If you owned 5 volumes, you'd pay $44 on dynamic pricing.
  • If you owned 6 volumes, you'd pay $33 on dynamic pricing.
  • If you owned 7 volumes, you'd pay $22 on dynamic pricing.
  • If you owned 8 volumes, you'd pay $11 on dynamic pricing.

You're still better off than me for 0-2 volumes, and no worse than me on 3-8 volumes.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 1:20 PM

I understand what you're saying - but I neither have to like it, nor do I have to stop complaining about it.

Its capricious and irritating.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 1:52 PM

I  agree with Logos' policy with regard to academic pricing/dynamic pricing.

But Logos did not ask for my opinion.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 2:05 PM

ICC NT 33 Vols. is not dynamically priced (https://www.logos.com/product/49015/international-critical-commentary-new-testament), though the full ICC OT and NT 61 Vols. is dynamically priced (https://www.logos.com/product/49022/international-critical-commentary-series). Can we get dynamic pricing on the ICC NT 33 Vols.?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 2:16 PM

This one started with no dynamic pricing. Then it had dynamic pricing. Then it lost it.

Nelson 501 Book Bundle (501 vols.)     $1,989.95

Can we get dynamic pricing again? Or is Zondervan/Nelson excluded?

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 2:21 PM

This discussion caused me to revisit my original post. Despite the fact there's been no response on this thread, Logos have in fact responded by fixing three out of the four products.

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 2:23 PM

Super.Tramp:

Nelson 501 Book Bundle (501 vols.)     $1,989.95

Can we get dynamic pricing again? Or is Zondervan/Nelson excluded?

Zondervan is excluded.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 8:56 PM

What a deal!!!  I can get another base package, Biblical Languages, which will give me four additional resources which "if sold separately" would be $204.80.  All that for my exclusive price of just $637.46  Really???  Someone ought to smarten these birds up!!  Do they really think we're THAT STUPID???!!!!

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 295
LogosEmployee
Toby Steele (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 9:32 AM

Alex Scott:

What a deal!!!  I can get another base package, Biblical Languages, which will give me four additional resources which "if sold separately" would be $204.80.  All that for my exclusive price of just $637.46  Really???  Someone ought to smarten these birds up!!  Do they really think we're THAT STUPID???!!!!

Hi, Alex--I'm reproducing this and have opened a case to have it corrected. Thanks for the report.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 30 2015 9:16 AM

Robert Alfred:
Is Nelson (and mixed packages w/ Nelson) excluded also?

Yes, according to Mark Barnes (who I trust to always be right), Zondervan and its subsidiaries like Nelson are excluded from dynamic pricing.

See his post:  https://community.logos.com/forums/p/98727/688705.aspx#688705

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS