Two Logos Hebrew Problems

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 9 2015 3:13 PM

1. I frequently double click on a Hebrew word in LHB and I'm taken to the dictionary entry for the definite article or interrogative he. I don't have time to list a bunch of examples, but here's one: הַאַף in Genesis 18:23. This happens a lot on the mobile apps, but also on the desktop version. Tonight I've run into it a few times on the desktop version.
  2. If I try to type Hebrew with vowel points in a note file, when I type a vowel point the vowel goes to the right of the letter and doesn't align underneath the word correctly. Type ה and then a patah. The patah goes to the right, instead of underneath.

6.0a SR-5

Macbook Pro (mid 2014), OSX 10.10.1, 2.3 i7, 256 SSD, 16GB RAM, Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 4:36 PM

Brian W. Davidson:

1. I frequently double click on a Hebrew word in LHB and I'm taken to the dictionary entry for the definite article or interrogative he. I don't have time to list a bunch of examples, but here's one: הַאַף in Genesis 18:23. This happens a lot on the mobile apps, but also on the desktop version. Tonight I've run into it a few times on the desktop version.
  2. If I try to type Hebrew with vowel points in a note file, when I type a vowel point the vowel goes to the right of the letter and doesn't align underneath the word correctly. Type ה and then a patah. The patah goes to the right, instead of underneath.

6.0a SR-5

Macbook Pro (mid 2014), OSX 10.10.1, 2.3 i7, 256 SSD, 16GB RAM, Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I can confirm this.  It works fine for me if I use BHW or other text, but this is the way LHB acts.  You can do a right-click, select the noun (rather than the article) then select the lexicon you wish to open.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 4:52 PM

It appears that it is interpreting your patach as a furtive patach. This should not be a problem (though it apparently is for you).  I do not have L6 so I cannot confirm your result.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 5:07 PM

No this happens with any vowel. That was just an example. It is a new problem in L6. 

Posts 694
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 5:59 PM

Brian,

I can replicate your problem with Gn 18.23 in the LHB, but not with a handful of other passages I tried. However, I have encountered the same thing in another BHS (I've forgotten which) and discovered a rather cumbersome workaround. Right click the combined words (e.g., noun plus article). In the right hand column click the noun and it will become highlighted. Then in the left hand column click the lexicon of your choice, and voila!

Granted, this work around is a nuisance.Sad

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 10 2015 9:08 AM

Also, when I type Hebrew word in a note and hit the space bar, the next word starts to the right of the previous word, rather than the left.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 10 2015 9:11 AM

Brian W. Davidson:

Also, when I type Hebrew word in a note and hit the space bar, the next word starts to the right of the previous word, rather than the left.

Are you still typing in Hebrew?  The cursor will go to the right, but when you begin to type it should return to the left.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 10 2015 9:17 AM

George, should is the key word.

This is a Logos 6 problem. Somehow, several Hebrew issues cropped up with Logos 6. 

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 10 2015 9:24 AM

George Somsel:
I do not have L6

Yeah, and I wouldn't recommend you buy it for a while. The bugs with Hebrew are so frustrating.

Posts 607
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 9:51 AM

Brian, thanks for bringing these issues to our attention. Ideally these would be two separate threads, so please forgive me as I overlook issue #1 in order to get more information to guide my investigation into your reported issue typing Hebrew into notes.

I tested it on Windows using the Logos' provided keyboard (https://www.logos.com/support/logos5/windows/keyboards). The character composition (and RTL text flow) seemed to work properly. Here is a screencast of my simple test (http://screencast.com/t/AzvXVq6y, forgive my Hebrew gibberish). I assume this is quite similar to what you are attempting on Mac?

I have asked a Mac developer on my team to look into the same issue on the Mac platform. If you can think of any information that may be pertinent to his investigation, please let me know.

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 9:59 AM

Thanks, Alan. Copy and paste works perfectly, but typing Hebrew in a note doesn't on Mac. If i use just consonants — אדם Adam — everything is fine until I type a space and the next word. The next word should go to the left, but it ends up on the right. The central problem here is that on Mac when typing Hebrew in a note the system is confused on which direction to go. 

Posts 607
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 10:11 AM

What are your system's language/keyboard settings? Are you actually typing in Hebrew characters or are you using Character Map to insert Hebrew characters? These kinds of details may be valuable in our investigation.

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 11:19 AM

I'm typing actual Hebrew with the Tyndale House unicode Hebrew keyboard available here: http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/index.php?page=unicode

Logos 6.0a SR-5

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 11:27 AM

OK, good news.

I didn't think it could be related to the particular keyboard, but I switched to the Hebrew - QWERTY keyboard and things seem to be working as they should!

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 11:41 AM

But unfortunately the Biblical Hebrew - SIL keyboard does the same goofy stuff as the Tyndale House one.

Posts 607
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 11:46 AM

Thanks. This is exactly the kind of info we need to investigate the issue.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS