First My Wife, then Daughter, now Me. I have seen the light and am converting!

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 52
Dan Starcevich | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 14 2015 7:15 AM

Yes, it's true, I have been shown the light by my wife and daughter and I am moving to a Mac. It should be here Thursday so Friday I will be going through the set up, application loading, and file moving.

Have any of you who have done this let me know of any tips, tricks, or lessons leared regarding moving my Logos stuff that you could share?

Thanks!

Dan

Posts 878
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 9:58 AM

I hear logos for the mac is not as good. 

Posts 662
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 9:59 AM

Assuming you'll be running Yosemite you might want to check out this article as it can cause problems with downloads over wifi

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 10:06 AM

I hope the Mac works better than iTunes. I don't know of another program that I loathe. 

Posts 75
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 10:07 AM

I made the same move about 1.5 years ago.  With regard to Logos, it is simple.  Download the Mac version of the program from the web and then simply login to your Logos account.  All of your resources, notes, layouts, collections, etc. will be downloaded and remain in sync with whatever other computer you have been using.  I know in the past, the Mac version had some missing features relative to the Windows version, but I don't believe that is much of an issue at all now.  There may be some minor feature differences, but none that I am aware of or bothered by.  Personally, I find the Mac version exrremely stable and I would have no hesitation making the Windows to Mac switch from a purely Logos software impact standpoint.

Posts 2310
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 10:41 AM

Beware!  The light may be a fast approaching train!  Surprise

Remember the warnings from the book Bird Life in Wington?

Great book, by the way, to add to to Vyrso!  

Posts 1855
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 10:49 AM

Hi Dan, welcome to the Mac world. And here's the answer that you've been looking for: https://www.logos.com/install

If you have troubles downloading check out the link Stephen provided above.

Posts 2665
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 7:20 PM

I'm Mac prioritized, but Logos is perhaps a bit smoother on PC. Nothing major, but being on a Mac is less of a headache so you did well.

If your PC is still running good, don't scrap it. I find having more than one computer is a great thing. Maintenance and updates doesn't mean you have to be unable to work. I put my writing and whatever other files on Google Drive so I can share cross-platform and devices.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 238
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 7:56 PM

I switched to the Mac in 2008 and have never looked back.  I ran Logos in Windows back in the days of the LLS (Logos Library System) and now in the latest version of Mac OS X (Yosemite) and it runs great.  I'm certainly not a power user and don't really have a large library but I use Logos to prepare sermons and Bible studies.  I believe you made a good choice and will enjoy your new Mac.

In Christ,

Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 8985
LogosEmployee

Stephen Steele:

Assuming you'll be running Yosemite you might want to check out this article as it can cause problems with downloads over wifi

That article is out-of-date at the time of this posting (but should be corrected soon). If you're installing 6.0b (the latest version), then it should "just work"; there's no need to try any of the workarounds suggested in that article.

Posts 52
Dan Starcevich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 8:18 AM

thanks for all the input, encouragement, and otherwise. According to my UPS tracking my Mac is out for delivery today so I guess I will be doing the transition dance tonight and tomorrow.

Dan

Posts 825
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 12:06 PM

Dan Starcevich:

Yes, it's true, I have been shown the light ... and I am moving to a Mac.

Have any of you ... know of any ... lessons leared [sic]?

Someone somewhere said something like, "No wonder, for even Apple disguises itself as an angel of light."  Wink

JRS has left the building.

Posts 7
Ryan Hawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 10:59 PM

FUNNNNNNY

Posts 662
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 1:12 AM

Dan Starcevich:

thanks for all the input, encouragement, and otherwise. According to my UPS tracking my Mac is out for delivery today so I guess I will be doing the transition dance tonight and tomorrow.

Dan

Let us know how you get on and what you think of Logos on a mac! (Giving us the specs of your old and new computers would be helpful too if you can).

Posts 5096
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 1:31 AM

Dan Starcevich:

Dan

If you leave your existing PC hooked up you can use Windows Migration Assistant to set up. However that is not a route that I would go down unless really pushed for time. Not because it doesn't work but because, when I move to a new machine I like to reinstall all my software cleanly. That includes a fresh download of my Logos resources. (Usually overnight).

Don't fall for any sales pitches for Anti Virus, Go faster or clean up programs I have been running Mac OS's for decades without them.

Don't restart the machine every day - let it sleep. Do restart Logos everyday (it is still basically a windows program and needs extra care). 

Again if you leave you existing machine plugged in you will be able to access files on it on your Mac and can transfer the bits you want manually.

A standalone harddrive is worth the money to use for Time Machine it mitigates accidental or over enthusiastic deletion of files etc.

Enjoy the stress relief.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 52
Dan Starcevich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 6:37 AM

Thanks, My plan is to leave the PC hooked up and connected to the mac via an eithernet connection for a while.

Posts 52
Dan Starcevich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 6:40 AM

Here is my "as-is" set up. I also have 2x1TB drives. One drive is abt 50% full, the other is abt 70%

I am going to an iMAC mini with 16GB Ram, 1 TB internal drive, 3 TB external drive

Posts 5096
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 7:42 AM

Dan Starcevich:

Thanks, My plan is to leave the PC hooked up and connected to the mac via an eithernet connection for a while.

Hi Dan

Hope you are enjoying the Mac experience?

You should not need to connect the Mac and the Windows machine directly. Providing the PC and Mac are on the same network the iMac should see the PC and you should be able to manipulate files from the Mac.

This means that once things are working you can disconnect the monitor/mouse/keyboard and leave the box sitting in the corner. You can use the PC monitor as a second screen for your iMac if you wish via a suitable adaptor...

Now all I need to learn is how to turn this picture the right way up  Sad

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 9:14 AM

Careful Mike all of that is going to fall down

Posts 52
Dan Starcevich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 9:47 AM

I completed the file xfer, license xfers, and setting set ups over the weekend and everything seems to be working smoothly. I have no regrets although i will admit my productivity is dropped a bit as I learn the new UI. Also, I got a magic trackpad instead of a mouse and there is some additional learning curve with that.

I think the biggest challenges I ran into was incorporating lessons learned from my PC set ups into my Mac. For example,  Photography is one of my hobbies so I had a lot of data to move. I also wanted to organize my catalogs and photos better. It turned out that the best way to do this was get it cleaned up on the PC then export it to a catalog file, then import the new file on the Mac.

One disappointment was with MS Office. The Mac equivalent to Office Professional 2010 has fewer programs included. In addition, I had to buy a new license as they would not covert my existing PC license to a Mac. Most of my other applications either could be downloaded as a Mac app for no cost or require just a small fee (Scrivener and Scapple for example).

Overall, no regrets. I think I will be happy with this. Just give me a week or so to learn the new UI and hand gestures for the track pad.

Thanks all for your recommendations, cautions, and helps.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS