Dynamic Pricing Question

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 75
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 14 2015 12:46 PM

I am considering purchasing the NICOT/NICNT series.  This would be a big/expensive purchase for me.  In thinking through this, I think it would be wise to purchase one volume to evaluate the usefulness/benefit to me and then use that data point to help make a decision to invest in the full set.  (I do realize that each volume is a different author, so results can vary depending upon the volume I start with. )  

So for example, let's say the price of the complete set is $1600.  I choose to purchase the volume on Luke and let's say the price is $50 for that single book.  If I later choose to purchase the entire set, would I get a dynamic price of $1550 or would my price be slightly higher?  Do all commentary sets offer dynamic pricing, or is it hit or miss?  Is the dynamic pricing algorithm setup to give you 100%, 95%, 90% ect credit based on the volumes you have previously purchased in the set, or does it just really vary depending on the product you choose.  I know recently is commentary was part of the big Christmas sale.  Does dynamic pricing apply to sets like this even when they are on sale?

Posts 12517
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 1:09 PM

Bryce Hufford:
So for example, let's say the price of the complete set is $1600.  I choose to purchase the volume on Luke and let's say the price is $50 for that single book.  If I later choose to purchase the entire set, would I get a dynamic price of $1550 or would my price be slightly higher?

It would be higher. You forget that Logos sells the set at a discount. 

Just for the math, let's assume the total price of all books in the set was $3200 if bought individually, i.e. buying the set gives you a 50% discount. Then your $50 for Luke give you a $25 dynamic price reduction. You could say you already own 50/3200 of it.

The algorithm doesn't give you credit based on what you bought, but on what % of the cumulative individual sales price your books add up to. So when Logos gives away a book for free and another for .99 as "book of the month", the dynamic pricing calculation will add up the individual sales prices of those - which next month might be $60 and thus be 10% of an cumulative sales price of $600 for the set. If the set now is $300 you get a dynamic pricing discount of $30, if it is in a sale for $150 you get a dynamic pricing discount of $15.

Does this help? 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1088
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 1:10 PM

As far as I know, Logos hasn't revealed the formula. But for this set, you could test yourself. Buy the commentary you're interested in and try it out for 30 days. I that trial window, you'll be able to see what your dynamic price for the set would be. If you're happy with the results, keep the commentary. If you realize that you'd be better off getting the whole set without that discount, return the book. Dynamic pricing does work with sales, assuming dynamic pricing is enabled for a set (this is not always true).

Posts 75
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 1:43 PM

Thanks for the response.  You are right that I didn't tale the set discount into account for my example question.  Is the dynamic pricing based on the % of content you alread own or the price you actually paid for the content you own?

Example: 4 volume set - each volume individually priced at $25.  Set price is $90.

Case 1: I buy vol 1 for $25.  i own 25% of the content.  Is my dynamic price to buy the rest of the package $90x75%= $67.5?  The total price paid for the set is $67.50 + $25 = $92.50

Case 2:  let's say vol 1 is on sale for $.99 and I buy it.  I still own 25% of the content.  Is my dynamic price still $67.50 for the rest of the set? 

Posts 12517
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 1:49 PM

Bryce Hufford:

Thanks for the response.  You are right that I didn't tale the set discount into account for my example question.  Is the dynamic pricing based on the % of content you alread own or the price you actually paid for the content you own?

the % of the content you already own - in current individual prices.

Bryce Hufford:

Example: 4 volume set - each volume individually priced at $25.  Set price is $90.

Case 1: I buy vol 1 for $25.  i own 25% of the content.  Is my dynamic price to buy the rest of the package $90x75%= $67.5?  The total price paid for the set is $67.50 + $25 = $92.50

Case 2:  let's say vol 1 is on sale for $.99 and I buy it.  I still own 25% of the content.  Is my dynamic price still $67.50 for the rest of the set? 

As far as I understand: Yes to both cases. 

EDIT: and unfortunately, dynamic pricing does not work for all sets. It seems one of the major publishers forces Logos into contracts that don't allow it - which meant that it was turned off e.g. for WBC when these guys bought Thomas Nelson. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 75
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 1:50 PM

William Gabriel:

As far as I know, Logos hasn't revealed the formula. But for this set, you could test yourself. Buy the commentary you're interested in and try it out for 30 days. I that trial window, you'll be able to see what your dynamic price for the set would be. If you're happy with the results, keep the commentary. If you realize that you'd be better off getting the whole set without that discount, return the book. Dynamic pricing does work with sales, assuming dynamic pricing is enabled for a set (this is not always true).

That is a good idea to buy and then check out the dynamic pricing response while you still have the option to return It.  Is there a way to tell if dynamic pricing is enabled for a set or package before you buy?  Does Logos ever turn dynamic pricing off on a package where it had previously been enabled?

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 1:51 PM

Bryce Hufford:
Is the dynamic pricing based on the % of content you already own or the price you actually paid for the content you own?

Percentage of the content owned, but the dynamic pricing discount is relative to the assigned cost of the resource. Since not all volumes in a commentary set are the same price, owning a more expensive individual volume would give a greater discount than a cheaper one.

It's not based on the price you actually paid.  A person who bought a book full price would get the same dynamic discount as the one who got it free in a giveaway.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 274
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 6:52 AM

I did a test of this with the January free book of the month (plus 1).

Starting off, there was The Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges (58 vols.) for $399.99, which I did not own anything from.  I picked up the Commentary on Genesis for free and the Intro to the Pentateuch for $0.99.  Now, I own two of the 58 volumes.  Individually, the volumes all retail at $16.95 each.  My new dynamic pricing is $386.16 (3% off) to purchase the remaining 56 volumes.

If you do the math, $16.95 x 58 = $983.10.  Subtracting the two newly owned resources makes $949.20, which is 96.55% of $983.10.  96.55% of $399.99 is $386.20.  That is pretty close to the dynamic price.  Not sure what accounts for the extra 4 cents off. Big Smile

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 7:47 AM

Bryce Hufford:
Is there a way to tell if dynamic pricing is enabled for a set or package before you buy?

Not if you don't already own any resources from that product. If you do own resources, it will tell you it's a dynamic price.

Bryce Hufford:
Does Logos ever turn dynamic pricing off on a package where it had previously been enabled?

Yes, although rarely. It has happened before when Logos turned it on in error. I think those were teething problems, and it doesn't seem to happen much (if at all) any more.

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS