How do you paste a link to a resource in a note?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 673
Jim | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 16 2015 8:54 AM

In Logos 3 I used to be able to simply paste a link to a location in a resource into a note without actually copying any content to the note. I liked that feature because sometimes I simply want the note to be a set of links to various resources that I can jump to at a later time, rather than copying all their content into the note.

Since Logos 4 I haven't been able to find this feature, at least not with the same simplicity. As far as I know I have to either copy something (then perhaps delete it, leaving only the reference link) or type something and then turn that text into a link. Either way it takes more steps and time thus distracting from my study. Am I missing something?

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 11845
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 9:02 AM

Jim,

I'm not sure about Libronix and your workflow, but it seems you just need to go to the resource menu (the picture tile) and check "Copy Location as URL" (or hit Ctrl-Alt-C) and the paste this into the note.

Does this help?

EDIT: screenshots

copy: 

paste into note (Ctrl-V) makes a link to the location:

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 673
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 9:27 AM

Well in a cryptic way. For example if I have the Bible Knowledge Commentary (BKC) open and do as you suggest this is what gets pasted into the note: logosres:bkc;ref=Bible.Ge44.18-34

In Logos 3 it would paste the Bibliographic reference just as if it would if I copied some text from BKC and pasted it: 

Allen P. Ross, “Genesis,” in The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures (ed. J. F. Walvoord and R. B. Zuck; vol. 1; Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1985), 194.

That's why I mentioned that I can copy some text, paste it and then delete the text to get the reference. But in Logos3 you could just paste the reference. Also I've found that if you don't paste enough text from the resource it won't even add the bibliographic reference.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 673
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 9:28 AM

On another note, I find that if I type a Biblical reference, say Amos 3:7, into a note, it will not automatically become a link. Again Logos 3 used to scan notes and change these references into links to the text. Is there a way to make this happen?

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 24772
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 9:31 AM

Jim:

On another note, I find that if I type a Biblical reference, say Amos 3:7, into a note, it will not automatically become a link. Again Logos 3 used to scan notes and change these references into links to the text. Is there a way to make this happen?

That should happen - you may need a trailing space after the reference.

If it doesn't work please let us know what version of Logos software you are using and whether you are running on a Windows or Mac platform 

Posts 11845
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 9:42 AM

Jim:

In Logos 3 it would paste the Bibliographic reference just as if it would if I copied some text from BKC and pasted it: 

Allen P. Ross, “Genesis,” in The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures (ed. J. F. Walvoord and R. B. Zuck; vol. 1; Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1985), 194.

aah - when you wrote about "link to a location" I wasn't aware that you were talking about a bibliographic reference / article citation. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 673
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 9:48 AM

Graham Criddle:
you may need a trailing space after the reference.

Apparently that's what is needed. Thank you.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 673
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 9:54 AM

A good thought, but this does not work either. That will simply paste the Bibliographic citation as text. It does not paste a link to the resource, let alone a link to a relevant location within that text.

Think of it this way. If you copy a section of a resource, say a paragraph out of a commentary and paste it into a note. A link will be created at the end of the text. That link will be a bibliographic citation, but also a link to the location in the text where you copied the note from. But suppose I don't want to copy my commentaries into my notes. I just want a set of links to relevant places in those resources. Logos 3 made that relatively easy. I haven't seen how to do that in Logos 4-6 and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible (without copying some text to get the text and the reference, then deleting the text leaving only the reference).

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 673
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 10:06 AM

Yes that works. But it's a bit cryptic when you go to look at it months or years later or if I print them out. I'd rather see the actual bibliographic citation. This used to be an easy thing to do in Logos. 

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 365
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 10:22 AM

Jim:

Think of it this way. If you copy a section of a resource, say a paragraph out of a commentary and paste it into a note. A link will be created at the end of the text. That link will be a bibliographic citation, but also a link to the location in the text where you copied the note from. But suppose I don't want to copy my commentaries into my notes. I just want a set of links to relevant places in those resources. Logos 3 made that relatively easy. I haven't seen how to do that in Logos 4-6 and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible (without copying some text to get the text and the reference, then deleting the text leaving only the reference).

The way MB.Mick described in his first note is the method I use and works I think the way you want. Also, here is more detail from the wiki that might help. It is for Logos 4 & 5 but should work for Logos 6 as well, just some of the images are different.

https://wiki.logos.com/Notes#Creating_hyperlinks_to_other_resources

Posts 673
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 12:55 PM

Bob Soule:
https://wiki.logos.com/Notes#Creating_hyperlinks_to_other_resources

Thanks for this link, it's very informative. However so far from this thread and the wiki I conclude that what I'm looking for requires several steps. For example copying and pasting  a chunk of text from a resource into a note then deleting the text, leaving the citation link or copying the citation, pasting it in the note, then getting the URL and using it to turn the citation text into a link. Seems like a lot of extra steps for a program that is geared toward research. My way allows the citations to be clearly legible for later use, or for printing out the notes and collecting the citations into a bibliography of my research.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 365
Bob Soule | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 2:42 PM

Jim:

Thanks for this link, it's very informative. However so far from this thread and the wiki I conclude that what I'm looking for requires several steps. For example copying and pasting  a chunk of text from a resource into a note then deleting the text, leaving the citation link or copying the citation, pasting it in the note, then getting the URL and using it to turn the citation text into a link. Seems like a lot of extra steps for a program that is geared toward research. My way allows the citations to be clearly legible for later use, or for printing out the notes and collecting the citations into a bibliography of my research.

Have you tried using clippings  document instead of a note document. When highlight text from a resource right click and add it to a open clippings document it adds the text as well as a hyperlink to the original text at the same time. You can also add notes to the clipping document as well as print it if you would like.

Take a look at the detail below and see if that is more in line with what you want to do

Clippings wiki

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS