Lexham Methods Series - Take 2

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 17 2015 6:39 AM

I decided to start a new thread on this because the previous attempt to get attention died out a while back. 

I can only go by what the preview, but I am interested in this series and I think it should be of interest to others for two reasons:

1. It is up-to-date. This is SO IMPORTANT and yet even very good articles in ABD for instance tend to be old as far as that goes. Of course, there is much in older resources that is by no means obsolete, but there is a need for fresh, focused synthesis of where disciplines are at, especially considering how much cross-pollinating is helping methods move forward.

2. It is rather comprehensive. This much can be seen from the topic of each volume and the number of pages each one has. What I saw of the preview seemed to be of good quality and include practical examples, graphs, etc. This could make it not only dependable but also illuminating.

In spite of the foregoing, the product has been sitting in community pricing for a while. I know there are other products competing for our budgets, but I thought I would try to see if we can get this one over the hump. NB: It is currently sitting at $60 for the 4 volumes collection. In the previous thread, there was quite a bit of confidence that the price could be brought down at least to $50 is not further down. I think so too.

https://www.logos.com/product/26934/lexham-methods-series

Posts 25126
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 17 2015 6:42 AM

Hi Francis

Thanks for this reminder.

I had been unsure about this one but have just placed a bid for $60

Graham 

Posts 2157
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 17 2015 6:55 AM

The first volume in this series on textual criticism was very well done.  I received this volume as a part of the Lexham Scholars Bundle. 

I am looking forward to the remaining three volumes to be finished.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 17 2015 7:04 AM

The volume on linguistics should be of particular interest, I think. There have been a lot of development there in recent years (and now, we even have case frames in Logos!). It started in rather messy fashion as scholars who were not linguists tried their hands at it (it is also messy because of competing theories and models) but at least it is getting more clearly defined, including relationships to and between various methods (narrative, rhetorical, discourse analysis, etc) and the relationships of the models to biblical interpretation. I sure would be grateful for some synthesis there!

Posts 2548
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 17 2015 7:06 AM

I received Vol 1 on Text Criticism with Platinum. It is a very well done resource and it is different from many other resources on TC with the use of tables and graphics. Example below. 

Here is a listing of some of the graphics and tables:

I would consider this an introduction to TC, with a larger market in mind than the scholar. With that as the target, this is an excellent resource.

The one question I have is how do I purchase the PrePub if I already own one of the resources? How is dynamic pricing enabled in PrePub?

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 17 2015 10:51 AM

Thanks, I placed a bid for $50 since with just a few more bids, $50 should become the leading bid level.  If it goes into production at $60, I'll up my bid before it closes.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 17 2015 10:59 AM

Turns out that I have the Textual Criticism volume as well, though I was not aware of it (since I did not buy it individually). It is more introductory than I would have thought. Makes me wonder how the volume on linguistics would be, since the topic itself is not lay-person oriented.

Posts 5845
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 17 2015 11:26 AM

Whole set is included as part of Lexham Scholars Bundle which I have, so I'm definitely in for the set but can't help with pushing up the community pricing price.  The fact that it's included in this bundle indicates a comittment to put it in production, just hope they are not going to wait till it crosses the line in community pricing to release the other volumes.

Posts 1085
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 17 2015 12:20 PM

I have been in for several months and am hoping that it soon goes through.

Posts 9619
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 4:24 AM

I have placed my bid on this for quite some time now. I'm in at $50 waiting to see how things develop.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1676
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 8:52 AM

Well, some months ago I removed my bid, but after seeing the sample pages I'll now retry, $50

Edit: it shows my bid in green

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 12069
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 9:32 AM

Veli Voipio:

I'll now retry, $50  (...) it shows my bid in green

Strange. My bid of $50 from mid 2014 on https://www.logos.com/product/26934/lexham-methods-series still shows red and the going price as $60

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1676
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 10:32 AM

You are right, it shows red on the page.

But on my https://www.logos.com/account/orders/communitypricingbids and if I remember right (I may have lost my short-term-memory) unsuccessful bids should show red here

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1034
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 10:52 AM

Considering they will have already sold these under the Lexham Scholars Bundle this has got to move inot production no matter what people bid, I assume that it will do so in its own time.

Posts 9619
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 3:05 PM

NB.Mick:
Strange. My bid of $50 from mid 2014 on https://www.logos.com/product/26934/lexham-methods-series still shows red and the going price as $60

I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. That is strange.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2016 12:50 PM

It'd be nice if we could get an update on this product. I haven't been buying much of anything from Logos lately (cuz there's no immediate need), but this is one series I'm still highly interested in. I too have the first volume in the series.

Given that this is already somewhat in production & included in packages, why is it still a PrePub? Why not move it to a paid product & we get the resources as they release? It's not like other products haven't taken this course of action. It just feels weird to see it in PrePub when I already own 25% of the product and will my PrePub price/cost reflect that?

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 116
LogosEmployee
Jake Mailhot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2016 2:47 PM

I'm so glad you guys are excited about this project.

We're still committed to completing it and we should have some more news about it soon. For now, I can tell you that we've received all of the content for all four volumes and its in our queue to be academically reviewed and then edited. In addition, the first volume (which many of you already have) will be undergoing a heavy revision to address a number of concerns that have been voiced here and by our academic reviewers.

LaRosa Johnson:
Given that this is already somewhat in production & included in packages, why is it still a PrePub? Why not move it to a paid product & we get the resources as they release? It's not like other products haven't taken this course of action. It just feels weird to see it in PrePub when I already own 25% of the product and will my PrePub price/cost reflect that?

This project is still on Community Pricing because it's development costs are very high. While it is currently in development and should be released this year, by placing it on CP and Pre-Pub, we're ensuring that much of its costs are met before it's released. You get the added bonus of being able to invest in the series at a very low cost as an early adopter and backer.

Posts 1085
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2016 2:47 AM

Jake Mailhot:
should be released this year

Yes

Posts 1676
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2016 3:19 AM

Jake Mailhot:
should be released this year

Yes  Could it be infiltrated into the base packages to speed it up?

Posts 1582
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2016 6:19 AM

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Just placed a bid of $50.00.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS