Computer Upgrade Advice

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1
Collette | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 21 2015 3:18 PM

Good evening,

I recently upgraded to Logos 6 and found out that my current computer is too old and that Windows Vista is not compatible with this upgrade.

Therefore, I will making a computer purchase and would like some suggestions for the new interactive portions of Logos 6 and any future upgrades over the next several years.

Please offer any advice regarding operating systems, RAM, media, and hard drive size so I can benefit from all aspects of Logos 6 and make the best computer purchase based on my Logos program and scholarly needs while attending seminary at Cincinnati Christian University.

At this point it is very frustrating that I am paying for resources that my current computer is unable to access or download.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Blessings,

Collette

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 3:37 PM

I am a Mac user and find My macbook Pro works great.... IF as I am guessing you are wishing to stay in windows, i cannot be of too much help other than tell you an SSD will make all the difference in the world for the performance of Logos. I would not go with less than 8 GB of RAM. I also would personally try to get an i7 processor (4 cores help a lot especially at indexing time) although an i5 should be more than powerful enough for good performance. 

-Dan

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 3:43 PM

Collette:
Please offer any advice regarding operating systems, RAM, media, and hard drive size so I can benefit from all aspects of Logos 6 and make the best computer purchase based on my Logos program and scholarly needs while attending seminary at Cincinnati Christian University.

If you can afford it, I would recommend a minimum of:

1. A 256Gb SSD (512gB if you can afford it).
  2. 8Gb RAM (12-16Gb if you can afford it).
  3. An i5 processor (i7 if you can afford it).
  4. Windows 8.1

Posts 8005
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 3:50 PM

Collette:

Good evening,

Windows Vista

What is Windows Vista? Is that some sort of Spanish computer? Angel

DAL

Posts 2705
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 10:45 PM

I'd second 8 GB RAM. You might consider a hybrid drive if you want to put a large number of files on your computer. If you decide to buy a PC, there's lots of good deals in factory refurb models. I bought a Lenovo laptop refurb and I can't tell it's a refurb other than the sticker on the bottom. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1101
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 11:50 PM

Hello Collette 

Welcome to the Forums.

For a very good Windows based Ultrabook I have been looking at the Asus Zenbook UX303LN-DB71T it comes with a 

• 13.3" Quad-HD touchscreen display (3200 x 1800), 
  • CPU Intel Core i7-4510U 2 GHz.
  • GPU NVIDIA GT840M 2GB VRAM.
  • 256GB Solid State Storage,
  • 12GB RAM
  • Windows 8.1
  • Also this laptop is less than 3 pound to carry!

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX303LN-DB71T-Quad-HD-Display-Touchscreen/dp/B00KTL21RA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce#productDetails

On Amazon.com they cost about $1,224.99  I really like this laptop and I may get one myself in June when I return to the USA.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 29
Georgia Schoelz | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 9:31 PM

I'm also wondering how many Logos 6 resources the different sizes of SSD drives hold. I have about 5200 and I'm not sure how big a drive I would need. Would a 256 GB SSD be big enough? I have no idea how much space L6 uses. Thanks.

Posts 29254
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 9:47 PM

Georgia Schoelz:
Would a 256 GB SSD be big enough?

In my opinion, a 256 GB drive would be a minimum size. Depending upon your other usage, it might be just fine. Your resources and indexes will fit just fine on that drive. What ELSE will you be using the computer for? If you really only use it for Logos, email, web surfing, and MSFT Word, you will probably be fine. If you like to add photos and/or music to your computer, you should look to double that.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1131
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 10:25 PM

You first need to decide what screen size you want. Someone mentioned 13.3". Personally I just bought one at 17.3" I don't have a desktop but still need portability. I bought a Dell business laptop on ebay. You can also check out their refurbished website and you might get lucky on the size you want. I went with an M6800 and the resellers snap them up before you can but it was the same price as that 13.3 above but bigger and faster (and heavier). I replaced my HD with an SSD. The original HD had an 8GB ssd section for Windows and the faster drive is a 512gb msata. Passage guide searches were about 20-30 seconds faster with the SSD. So you will save a lot of time if you do a lot of passage work. General searches were exactly the same because Logos indexes everything.

I moved from a Vista laptop as well and as it was 6 years old pretty much anything would have been faster.

Posts 1101
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 1:33 AM

Hello Georgia 

On your computer on the windows explorer, look at the C: drive and the Logos folder right click it and click the properties at the bottom. it should tell you the size. 

My library is 23.7 GB with 3,000 resources.

But you will also need to look at the total about of data of the hard drive you have. I would get at least 256GB maybe 512gb if you have the money.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 6:26 AM

Georgia Schoelz:
I'm also wondering how many Logos 6 resources the different sizes of SSD drives hold. I have about 5200 and I'm not sure how big a drive I would need. Would a 256 GB SSD be big enough? I have no idea how much space L6 uses. Thanks.

If you budget about 1Gb per 1,000 resources, you'll be about right (a bit more for small libraries, a bit less for large libraries).

If you're using a computer only for Logos and a , you might get away with 128Gb. If you want a few other apps or store photos on it, you'll need 256Gb. If it's your primary machine, you'll probably need more again.

Posts 27
grippit | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 6:43 AM

I have a new Windows laptop with lower hardware specs. Performance is acceptable to good.  Performance is slower on my new laptop than on my old laptop but performance is in the acceptable to good range.

I am running Logos 6 on an new (just under $400) laptop with the N3530 Pentium chip which is the low power equivalent of the I3 chip and 4 GB RAM and Windows 8.1

Previously, I had run Logos 5 on an Acer laptop with Windows 7 and an I7 chip and 8GB RAM.

Also, I contacted Logos as I was evaluating a new computer and they told me the size of my Logos library in GB.  It was 11 GB.

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 9:45 AM

Georgia Schoelz:

I have just over 7000 resources including one mobile education course and my total collection size is under 33 GB. So Unless you have a lot of course (being videos they take up  a lot of space) 256 GB should provide more than ample room.

-Dan

Posts 172
LogosEmployee
Jonathan J Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 11:15 AM

First, welcome to Logos 6!

First, what people have said is correct. A Solid State Drive (SSD) makes all the difference

That being said, I currently run Logos 6 diamond with over 4,000 resources on a Macbook Air. Those specs are: 

• i5 1.4Ghz
  • 4GB RAM
  • 128GB SSD

I would say it runs fine on my Mac. Though, this is the minimum. 

A PC with the following should do fine: 

• i5
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256 SSD

This Lenovo might work for you: http://amzn.to/1upGxWq

Posts 29
Georgia Schoelz | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 8:35 PM

Thank you all for your input. I did look on my C drive but could only find Libronx DLS files (I do have the old Logos 3 still on my desktop). But I did not see just "Logos" which I assume would be Logos 6.Not sure where that is? Maybe I can call Logos to see how big my library is as someone else did above.

I am spoiled with my desktop running Windows 7 with a TB hard drive. Here are the listed specs on my system:

Intel Core i7  920 2.67GHz @ 2.7 GHz
MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3
12GB System RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4650

It runs very fast, and indexing is rarely noticed. I'd like a laptop...probably a 13.3" for lightweight portability...and it would be primarily for Logos and writing, plus the usual email and internet. I would not need pictures or music on the laptop.

So with 5000 resources (including 3 Mobile Ed Courses), along with the writing I want to do (Microsoft Office, Evernote, and Scrivener), I was looking at an i7, 12GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD (actually I was looking at the ASUS Zenbook mentioned above). Would that perform well, or do I need a 512GB SSD?

Thanks everyone! You are all SO helpful! I learn so much from all of you, all the time.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 9:43 PM

Georgia Schoelz:
I did look on my C drive but could only find Libronx DLS files (I do have the old Logos 3 still on my desktop). But I did not see just "Logos" which I assume would be Logos 6.

Libronix DLS has one installation on a computer for all users while Logos 4 and newer are installed in an application folder per user.

Thankful for wiki list of resource locations => https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_Multiple_Macs#Copy_Logos_Resources_to_Mac_OS_X

Logos6 would be a new installation; folder could also be Logos5 or Logos4 for upgraded installations.

Georgia Schoelz:
... do I need a 512GB SSD?

Media resources (audio, images, and videos) tend to use noticeably more storage: e.g. 60 resources in my library consume 20 % of the resource space used.  If want lots of media, then more storage capacity is needed, which could be USB, SD Card, ....

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1101
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 24 2015 10:56 AM

Georgia 

I use a Windows 7 64bit, with Intel i3, 8GB ram, 256SSD. I have Logos 6 Platinum reformed & standard with about 3,000 resources. My current ASUS ultra book runs Logos fine, but my Wife needs to replace her notebook so she is taking mine and I will upgrade to a better one. Because she just wants to take mine old notebook.

The ASUS Zenbook UX303LN that I talked about above also has a second open mSATA Mini size socket that you can add a 128GB internal. http://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Super-Cache-HybriDisk-Software/dp/B00JF4CUBO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422125453&sr=1-1&keywords=msata+half+size&pebp=1422125454946&peasin=B00JF4CUBO $99.00 or http://www.amazon.com/Emperor-128GB-SATAIII-Upgrade-Version/dp/B00BMV4B7O/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422125453&sr=1-2&keywords=msata+half+size  for $118.00

This could give you the option to reinstall windows to the system and have 2 x SSD running in a Raid 0 setup. for fast access and a total of 384GB storage.

But i think the ASUS Zenbook will be a great system.

Posts 29
Georgia Schoelz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 24 2015 1:21 PM

Thanks, Lee! I may just go with it after I talk to my husband.

Thank you everyone! You're the best!

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS