Should I upgrade to Silver?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 30
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 22 2015 10:54 AM

I currently own Logos 6 Bronze and have individually purchased other commentaries and notes such as Tyndale's 48 Vol commentary and John MacArthur's Notes etc. I recently upgraded from the Starter to the Bronze and was thinking upgrading to the Silver package and adding the ESV notes and a couple of other books to bring up to where I can extend my payment plan from 12 months to 18 months. I would pay less a few bucks less per month in the 18 months then I am not for 12 months. I would also get like 2 or 3 new volume commentaries which alone cost more than the upgrade. So do you guys think this would be a wise decision? Is there such thing as having too many commentaries and should I just be happy with what I have? I also don't want to spend more money just to have more commentaries but I also like looking at the point of view of different scholars.

But I am afraid that more commentaries will simply mean just having the same comments written by different writers in a different way.

What do you guys think?

Logos 6 Platinum on Windows 10

Posts 8941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 11:03 AM

Diego Lara:
Is there such thing as having too many commentaries and should I just be happy with what I have?

Of course there is no value if you own any resource that you never use but the whole point of building a library is that you don't know what you will need until you try to find it. The more comprehensive your library the better the results you will have for searches. As far as commentaries go various authors will definitely overlap with interpretation and ideas. Personally I like to dig deeper into a broader range of commentaries when I really want to dig into a particular text. Having variety gives me more options.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 11:12 AM

I have found that one can have too many commentaries.  On average I only use half a dozen for sermon prep.  However, it is always good to have more when you need to dig real deep.  For instance I have many of the Classic Commentaries and like to see older perspectives.

Upgrading is only good if you think you will use most of the resources at some point.  I went to the Reformed Gold because I knew that I would want some lifeworks of some authors included in them, but that it would be a long time before I read them. 

My suggestion is look at the big collections/high ticket items in the bundle and determine if they are worth it to you.  

I do think that this is a point of no return.  I will probably not upgrade to any more bundles/libraries, becuase I have the vast majority of what  I want.  Anything else is an individual book or a new one just published.

FWIW, also check into 50% off bundles when you upgrade to a library.  They were running that promo a while back.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 11:27 AM

Everett Headley:
FWIW, also check into 50% off bundles when you upgrade to a library.  They were running that promo a while back.
The 50% off was on Logos 5 bundles (half off retail) The Logos 6 bundles are 15% (off sale pricing) The latter formula makes for a cheaper deal per volume. If I am not mistaken, the Logos 5 bundle configurations are still available. Call a Sales Rep to find out.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 11:29 AM

I personally would upgrade to Gold if I were in your shoes because all the data sets are included with Gold or above and that doesn't have a lot to do with the books in the library. It just makes Logos a much better program (I just typed that while cringing)

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it's been found difficult and not tried.

Posts 30
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 11:31 AM

Thank you everyone for your input I went ahead and upgraded to silver for the simple fact that it has those extra volume commentaries. I just made sense the upgrade alone with the academic discount was less then one of the commentaries alone.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 11:31 AM

Bryan S.:

I personally would upgrade to Gold if I were in your shoes because all the data sets are included with Gold or above and that doesn't have a lot to do with the books in the library. It just makes Logos a much better program (I just typed that while cringing)

I concur with Bryan. And it should not be that much more per month on the payment plan.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 30
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 11:32 AM

I would like the Gold but at the moment that is beyond my budget. But since I upgraded to Silver just now my upgrade to Gold will be much less if I ever decide to upgrade.

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 11:34 AM

Or you can now get dynamic pricing on the Features Core to get the remaining L6 features, probably at a very reasonable price.

Posts 10031
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 1:25 PM

John Fidel:

Or you can now get dynamic pricing on the Features Core to get the remaining L6 features, probably at a very reasonable price.

Yes

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 2:18 PM

Before you make a firm decision on upgrading to Silver, you might want to check out your interests against one or two of the Tradition specific Silver packages (nominally the same price by dynamic pricing based on what you already have can make a significant difference to the cost to you.)

Commentaries: Yes if you tend to go for commentary sets by like minded authors then you will tend to get very similar comments after you have three or foursets in your library.  Which additional commentary sets to go for, especially after you already have a few, is a lengthy topic in its own right and very much depends on your own interests and background.  Many note sets can be considered very skimpy if you want to drill in depth into a short passage: note sets or even commentary sets by one individual may give you a good overview of the contents of the books of the bible but may not be very helpful with short passages.

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 2:35 PM

As pointed out there are many families of base packages and since you are listed as Baptist 

may be the best choice for you.

-Dan

Posts 30
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 2:48 PM

I prefer the standard because it gives me the point of view of different denominations. Specially when doing study I want to know what different people from different era and different denominations think of a certain passage or topic. But I do think those denominational packages are great. I would consider adding one eventually if it does not have too many overlapping books and commentaries from what I already have.

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 3:09 PM

Then if I might be so bold as to suggest 

You will get some real gems there offering you some different insights.

-Dan

Posts 26512
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 4:12 PM

Diego Lara:

I would consider adding one eventually if it does not have too many overlapping books and commentaries from what I already have.

I assume you realize that with dynamic pricing on the denominational packages you pay only for the resources you do not already own. You don't need to worry about the overlap - only about what you do not already own.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 4:15 PM

You could always do as I have done... 

Portfolio (standard), Baptist Diamond, and so forth (the rest is in my signature).

After Portfolio, the rest was substantially cheaper.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 263
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 5:26 PM

I saw where you had already upgraded to Silver.  When Logos 6 came out, I spent several days considering the different levels of packages since they were all revamped. My personal conclusion was that, especially for pastors, the best value for your money is to go with the base packages/upgrades all the way through Gold level.  After that, then your money might be better spent supplementing your library with specific resources you know you will use rather than just piling up loads of books. Not that there aren't some good additional resources in the other packages, but you should really weigh the additional costs for those as opposed to buying resources that are not in any of the base packages i.e. Word Biblical Commentary, IVP Dictionaries, sermons from a favorite pastor/theologian, etc.

One other thing, once you get up to Gold level, I would advise you to make a list of resources that you know you will use/want.  Then you can weigh the costs vs. benefits of acquiring those resources versus upgrading to a higher base package. Also, if you make the wish list through the Logos website, there is the possibility you might get an email from time to time offering you a special discount on a resources on wish list! Keep studying!

Posts 30
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 8:14 PM

Oh nice. I knew it gave me a discount for the upgrade but I was not aware it took into consideration the books I already own when determining the dynamic pricing upgrade. For the moment the silver package and the extra commentaries I have purchase fulfil my needs.

Posts 30
Diego Lara | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 8:17 PM

That has been my philosophy since I first purchased Logos in 2013. Start from the bottom and upgrade through dynamic upgrade pricing that way I can keep my monthly payments within my budget. And every now and then I purchase individual books to add to my collection. I think my next upgrade will be gold as soon as I finish paying of my current balance. And with that I should be good for my bible study and if I ever need something I will just keep adding individual books.

In about a year and a half I have gone from "starter" to "Bronze" and now "Silver" plus a few extra individual resources and I it has been easy monthly payments. So the way I am going by sometime next year I will be at Gold with more extra resources I will purchase along the way.

Posts 2250
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 9:58 AM

Make the most of your Academic discount while you have it. Not so much to stock up on books you might use infrequently but to increase the quality of your research, 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS