One final question re: Computer Upgrade Advice

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 29
Georgia Schoelz | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 25 2015 12:38 PM

If I had to choose between a laptop with either:

512GB SSD and 8GB RAM with integrated graphics

OR

256GB SSD and 12GB RAM with dedicated graphics . . . .

Which set-up would run Logos 6 better with both of them using a Core i7 processor (i7-4500 or i7-4510 respectively)? I guess it comes down to which balance of features is most important for L6 to run well: SSD size, RAM, or graphics? (As mentioned previously, I have about 5000 resources with 3 Mobile Ed courses.)

Thank you everyone! I apologize for these endless questions. But a laptop is a big investment and I'd like to make sure it will run L6 beautifully for a long time to come. You all have been such a great source of information, encouragement, as well as a great blessing to me over the years! I've been using Logos since around 1989, but I'm neither a computer techie, nor a Logos expert. I just love to study God's Word, and I do my best with God's help to assist other women in that endeavor as well.

Thank you!

Georgia

Posts 1104
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 12:56 PM

Hi Georgia

The SSD is just the system storage the Ram is were the program runs. and more Ram is also better. As far as the 256GB SSD goes i have windows 7 installed on my 256GB SSD with almost 90GB free space. My system also has about 60GB of podcast sermons, some pictures and MS office, and Logos 6 with 3,000 resources.

I think youshould more than fine with the 256GB SSD & 12GB ram. and the dedicated graphics is always better.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 29365
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 1:31 PM

Based upon what you wrote earlier, I agree with Lee. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2214
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 2:03 PM

I would also go with the 256GB SSD and dedicated graphics.  What kind of graphics card does it have?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 571
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 2:10 PM

You definitely want the dedicated graphics option for Logos. Forgo the larger SSD for this.

Posts 29
Georgia Schoelz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 2:16 PM

The graphics card is an NVIDIA GT 840M 2GB. A salesman at Best Buy (who is a big time gamer) said it wasn't a high-end card, but was OK.

Now the problem is that Amazon has suddenly stopped selling this particular laptop because people were complaining, possibly about the colors on the screen, which doesn't seem a big deal for my use. Maybe I'll be able to find it elsewhere.

Thanks everyone!

Posts 1104
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 7:37 PM

Hello Georgia 

Did you end up getting the Zenbook UX303LN-DB71T they are being offered again on amazon.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 29
Georgia Schoelz | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 8:57 AM

Thanks, Lee. I had not noticed it was available again. I am really tempted, but now I'm wondering if the high resolution of the screen will be a problem with Logos 6, MS Word, or other programs. Screen resolution is 3300 x 1800. Apparently it is a scaling issue that software has not caught up with, and some say that Windows 10 may improve or fix it. I just don't know how it would work for Logos in the meantime. Wish I was more tech savvy!

Posts 1104
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 10:06 AM

Hi I have been looking at a lot of reviews also but, from what i saw it was the color yellow that was a little off and not the scaling. 

I don't see any problem with it, I have been looking at a macbook pro, but with the 13" you do not get a GPU, only with the highest end 15" macbook pro is a GPU included. And I did not want to pay that much to have a notebook with a GPU.

In any case good luck with what ever you do get.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS