Send to Kindle Impressions

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 25 2015 3:13 PM

I borrowed a Kindle Keyboard in order to test the Send to Kindle feature in L6, as I really want to find a device with that type of display that I like, and that does not give me a headache.  The last device I tried was the Onyx t68, which has various issues that make it useless.

My biggest complaint was that when I clicked on a footnote, I was jumped to the list of footnotes instead of having a popup.  I still liked it enough that I decided to purchase a Kindle Paperwhite, and to my pleasant surprise, the footnotes display in a popup!

Also, since I had linked the borrowed Kindle's email address to my L6 account, I was looking at having to call customer service to get the email address changed for the new Paperwhite, but when I unregistered the borrowed device, I attempted to immediately change the email address of the Paperwhite to the address already associated with L6, and it allowed me to use the same address (it actually stated that it could take up to 24 hours to release the old email address, but it was instant).

I just thought this might be useful information to anyone wanting to utilize this feature.  I have been enjoying reading my Logos books on the Kindle device.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 4:11 PM

It doesn't send or save the whole book if the book is large.

I am not a fan.  I also do not like export because I do not how to export an entire book with one click (nuisance item to me).

Blessings,

JoshInRI

Posts 600
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 4:48 PM

Joseph Turner:

I have been enjoying reading my Logos books on the Kindle device.

I ignored the Logos-Kindle comments in the forums until I received a Kindle for Christmas. When I downloaded the Logos app in the Kindle store and signed in, I was pleasantly surprised to see my entire library on my Kindle. So instead of using Logos with my bulky laptop at my desk, I spent a lazy Sunday afternoon in bed with the Kindle, listening to Charlie Parker, napping, and reading chapters from Theological Interpretation of the New Testament. Definitely, a little foretaste of heaven on earth!

In sum, Logos on Kindle is a nice way to enjoy the Logos library. And when heavier Logos use is necessary, the laptop is there.

Posts 27801
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 6:26 PM

Ted Weis:
When I downloaded the Logos app in the Kindle store

For clarification: "Send to Kindle" is a feature for "regular" (eInk) kindles, and not the Kindle Fire (which is apparently what you have). The "regular" kindles are easier on the eyes and do not run Android. 

Ted Weis:
I was pleasantly surprised to see my entire library on my Kindle.

Again for clarification: Most resources are "mobile enabled," but not all. If your entire library is on kindle, you are blessed! Smile I have roughly 5,500 out of 6,000 resources available "in the cloud" on my iOS devices. 

Ted Weis:
In sum, Logos on Kindle is a nice way to enjoy the Logos library. And when heavier Logos use is necessary, the laptop is there.

Yes The mobile apps are very good for that. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27801
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 6:33 PM

Joseph Turner:
I decided to purchase a Kindle Paperwhite

Two years in a row I was able to get good deals on "regular" kindles. A year ago I bought the (then) current gen "original" kindle for $15 "out of pocket" with discounts. I loved it and still use it.

This year, I was able to pick up the paperwhite for $45 "out of pocket." I REALLY love it. 

My old kindle is what I take to the pool, beach, etc. Since it is my "old" one and only cost me $15, I am less careful with it than the paperwhite. Smile

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 7:08 PM

JoshInRI:

It doesn't send or save the whole book if the book is large.

I am not a fan.  I also do not like export because I do not how to export an entire book with one click (nuisance item to me).

Blessings,

JoshInRI

Josh, I would be interested in knowing a handful of examples of books that were too large to send to Kindle.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 7:11 PM

alabama24:

Joseph Turner:
I decided to purchase a Kindle Paperwhite

Two years in a row I was able to get good deals on "regular" kindles. A year ago I bought the (then) current gen "original" kindle for $15 "out of pocket" with discounts. I loved it and still use it.

This year, I was able to pick up the paperwhite for $45 "out of pocket." I REALLY love it. 

My old kindle is what I take to the pool, beach, etc. Since it is my "old" one and only cost me $15, I am less careful with it than the paperwhite. Smile

I love the Paperwhite so far.  Do you use the Send to Kindle feature?  If so, have you come across many books that were too large to send?

Posts 27801
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 7:20 PM

Joseph Turner:
Do you use the Send to Kindle feature?

Yes, I have used it and love it. 

Books that I would read "cover to cover" but not need/want to highlight, are candidates for my use of "send to kindle."

Joseph Turner:
have you come across many books that were too large to send?

I havent, but I do know that there is a limit, which is actually a limitation placed upon the email document feature by Amazon. 

Posts 58
Richard Milbrandt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 12:36 PM

The Send-to-Kindle feature is great for me.  I can know read some of my Logos books on my Kindle Paperwhite while I walk on the treadmill in the mornings.

Posts 18754
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 12:59 PM

Joseph Turner:
My biggest complaint was that when I clicked on a footnote, I was jumped to the list of footnotes instead of having a popup.

That's always been the way the Kindle app works for me on Windows and on my Android devices. Clicking the Back button gets you back to where you came from, kind of. The place where the footnote marker was is now at the top of the screen, so your context is changed slightly. It's a bit irksome, but I've gotten used to it.

Joseph Turner:
I still liked it enough that I decided to purchase a Kindle Paperwhite, and to my pleasant surprise, the footnotes display in a popup!

Oh, that's nice! Still not enough of a reason to buy a Kindle though. I'm quite happy with my Android tablet and phone for reading Kindle books.

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 1:35 PM

Rosie Perera:
Oh, that's nice! Still not enough of a reason to buy a Kindle though. I'm quite happy with my Android tablet and phone for reading Kindle books.

Yeah, I would actually prefer to read on my Surface Pro, as I have my whole library and all features, but long periods of reading on it gives me headaches.  The iPad does the same thing.  

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 3:37 PM

It does the job, it's serviceable, and it's a great feature to have.

A Send-to-Kindle is not as good as a native Kindle file, though, and I am not sad that I repurchased some Kindle books I already had in Logos when they went on sale.

For example, a native Kindle book has active links in the Table of Contents found in the book itself. A Logos Send-to-Kindle book generates its own Table of Contents, and the original Table of Contents has no active links.

Also, a native Kindle book lets me jump chapters simply by hitting the left and right arrows (handy for Bibles and devotionals), but a Logos Send-to-Kindle book doesn't have these built-in.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 5:04 AM

alabama24:

This year, I was able to pick up the paperwhite for $45 "out of pocket."

Are these used on ebay or something?

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 5:07 AM

Rosie Perera:
Oh, that's nice! Still not enough of a reason to buy a Kindle though.
Have you tried reading on a e-ink device? It is REALLY easy on the eyes. A completely different experience from reading on a lit screen. 

Posts 27801
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 6:20 AM

Kevin Maples:

alabama24:

This year, I was able to pick up the paperwhite for $45 "out of pocket."

Are these used on ebay or something?

No. First, I don't use credit cards much... except 1) when I travel and 2) when Christmas comes. Even still, I pay off the balance at the end of the month. It just helps with cash flow. With that said, the credit card I have is for "best buy." My "rewards" give me money to play with... at a store I hardly use. Secondly, I use a website called camelcamelcamel (weird name, great site) which allows me to track prices (on both Amazon & Best Buy). 

I was sitting at Starbucks in MI while my wife was shopping. Her folks live out in the boonies, and it was my "one shot" at civilization. I received an email that the Paperwhite had dropped in price at Best Buy, which was a mile away. I finished my coffee and walked over there to pick up my paperwhite using the discount and rewards to drop the price.

Posts 18754
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 29 2015 4:52 PM

Kevin Maples:

Rosie Perera:
Oh, that's nice! Still not enough of a reason to buy a Kindle though.
Have you tried reading on a e-ink device? It is REALLY easy on the eyes. A completely different experience from reading on a lit screen. 

I don't want to own more devices. And I've never found reading on a lit device to be uncomfortable to my eyes.

Posts 2828
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 30 2015 9:43 PM

We are all different, with different preferences.  (My Surface Pro is just right for me.  Great reading tablet with all my books and Personal Books.  Thought I was through with iOS all together, but there are times I do not carry a tablet computer with me.  Then my iPhone 6+ does fill a need nicely.  Never say never.  It is my only Apple product that I still use, and I am a little embarrassed about it.)

Back to my point.  We are all different, and isn't it nice that Logos accommodates so many of us so well!  No need to convince others to do Logos our way.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 129
RGP | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 31 2015 4:08 AM

I have found a program called f.lux, this little program has very definitely helped with reading on a windows tablet by day and especially at night. It filters out the blue light that according to some causes sleep disturbance.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS