Parallel Resources showing multiple collections at once?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 25 2015 4:40 PM

I'm trying to organize my commentaries into specific groups, e.g. Reformed or Arminian in approach. I've created the collections, but have two questions.

If I'm viewing a commentary on say Romans 1:1 that is in neither collection, parallel resources shows no collections - just every PR as usual. Is this correct? My thought was it would show PR collections as well? Commentaries in both collections have the milestone Romans 1:1. If I chose a commentary from that single list that belong to either collection, PR will then show the relevant collection in PR, as well as every PR. Its tedious scrolling through all PR to find one from the desired collection though - I may as well not have the collections in PR.

Which also brings me to the second question - can parallel resources show more than one collection at a time? I thought I remembered seeing a screen grab of someone having three parallel resource sets open at once - two were collections?

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 6:38 PM

David Gullick:

If I'm viewing a commentary on say Romans 1:1 that is in neither collection, parallel resources shows no collections - just every PR as usual. Is this correct? My thought was it would show PR collections as well? Commentaries in both collections have the milestone Romans 1:1. If I chose a commentary from that single list that belong to either collection, PR will then show the relevant collection in PR, as well as every PR. Its tedious scrolling through all PR to find one from the desired collection though - I may as well not have the collections in PR.

The behavior of PR is dependent upon their sharing an index type and being either in a system provided or user collection parallel resource set. I'd need the resources involved to track down what you are seeing.

David Gullick:

Which also brings me to the second question - can parallel resources show more than one collection at a time? I thought I remembered seeing a screen grab of someone having three parallel resource sets open at once - two were collections?

Yes there can be multiples

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25105
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 25 2015 10:54 PM

David Gullick:
If I'm viewing a commentary on say Romans 1:1 that is in neither collection, parallel resources shows no collections - just every PR as usual. Is this correct?

Yes. The commentary below (NBC) is outside my PR collections

David Gullick:
My thought was it would show PR collections as well?

It has to belong to a PR collection (by definition)!

David Gullick:
Its tedious scrolling through all PR to find one from the desired collection though - I may as well not have the collections in PR.

Your solution is to:-

• Add (+ Plus these resources) the commentary into one or more of the PR collections if used frequently; OR
  • Prioritize at least one commentary/set in every PR collection and they will appear at the top of the All parallel resources list
    • The first eight listed above belong to my PR collections (others have been prioritized but they don't contain Gen 26)
    • my main reason for prioritizing commentaries is for listing in Passage Guide, so prefer extra commentaries below these

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 26 2015 3:39 AM

Sorry if I haven't been to clear. An example of what I'm trying to achieve is: I'm reading the TNTC on Romans 1:1. It does not belong to any collection. I want to check what a reformed commentary on the passage says, so I click PR, and want my collection of reformed commentaries to appear next to All PR. As it is, I need to select a commentary from the All PR list that is in my reformed commentaries collection, in order for PR to show my reformed commentaries PR list.

Is it necessary to make the extra step just to view my Reformed Commentaries collection in PR? Why don't they show up when I'm in the TNTC? Same deal for the Arminian collection.

Dave, your prioritized commentary/set idea is a work around, but I thought PR could do what I'm after?

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Australia

Posts 25105
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 26 2015 12:52 PM

David Gullick:
Sorry if I haven't been to clear.

You were.

David Gullick:
Is it necessary to make the extra step just to view my Reformed Commentaries collection in PR? Why don't they show up when I'm in the TNTC?

Yes. Because TNTC doesn't belong to any of your PR collections.

So if you add TNTC to all your PR collections then all your PR collections would appear in Parallel Resources!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 26 2015 12:54 PM

https://wiki.logos.com/Parallel_Resources has some information on how to "troubleshoot" when you aren't seeing expected parallel resources. Unfortunately, I don't have the commentary in question to test.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 26 2015 2:06 PM

Ok thanks, I misunderstood how they work. I thought they would show parallel resource collections based on the passage alone, not needing the open resource to be part of the collection. I guess I can't do what I was hoping.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Australia

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS