Searching for a phrase

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9
Carl P. Garrett, III | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 27 2015 8:45 AM

Hello....

I am trying to do a simple search for a specific phrase in a Bible.  I cannot figure out how to make that work. 

I can't seem to contain a search to just 1 Bible.....it wants to search everything and then overwhelms me with all the 'hits'.....

HELP! Hmm

Posts 21873
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 27 2015 9:03 AM

Hi Carl - and welcome to the forums

Make sure you are doing a Bible search and select the Bible you want from the dropdown menu - see https://wiki.logos.com/Detailed_Search_Help#Limiting_your_search_to_part_of_your_library for more context

Graham

Posts 9
Carl P. Garrett, III | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 27 2015 10:56 AM

Thanks Graham for your kind efforts to help.  I appreciate your response. 

I went to the link and got even more confused.  Pardon me a bit while I express a long held issue I've had with this software.  It simply is the most unintuitive and unfriendly to an average user that I own.  They should put in a disclaimer at purchase time that strongly recommends a degree in software design engineering before proceeding with the purchase.  I have had it for several years and versions now and I find myself using it less and less because it is THAT frustrating. 

While I'm at it let me say this too....the idea of having everything in the 'cloud' is a techie dream but for me it is infuriating because if I want to make a quick check on something I have to start up the software....then I might as well go pour a cup of coffee.....sometimes 2 depending on updates....  And by the time it gets through doing whatever update or indexing it wants to do I forgot why I opened the software in the first place!

I started out 2 versions ago and held on thinking they would make it easier to use but I think they have outlasted my patience and my decision to purchase any upgrades (V6) is made....

NOW....I feel better. 

Graham...that blast wasn't aimed at you.....You have a good heart for trying to help.... Thank you.

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 27 2015 11:08 AM

In Logos 6, the default "Everything" Search that you get from clicking the Search button will find results from your preferred Bible at the top, and provides a link to see more.

I'd also recommend this video to learn the basics of the Search panel: https://www.logos.com/training/logos5/search-basics 

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 27 2015 1:14 PM

You need to make sure it's a Bible search, not an Everything or Basic one, and enclose the search phrase in quotes, as below. Each f the blue sections in the header can be clicked on to reveal a drop-down selection menu. In L6 you can actually do it inline in the Bible you're reading. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee

GregW:
not an Everything or Basic one

It's OK to run an Everything Search if you want. The top section will be results from your preferred Bible, so if you just need results quickly, you can use Everything search instead of customising the Bible Search UI to search just one Bible.

Posts 9
Carl P. Garrett, III | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 27 2015 1:36 PM

Thanks Greg.....I just caught my problem when you mentioned it's not a "basic" search..... I didn't click on "Bible" and didn't use "phrase".....

So on Tuesday....stand on your left foot.....twirl around 3 times hop twice and say "May I?" and the search works like a champ!  LOL....sorrry couldn't resist.... I just find all the 'conditions' a bit tedious.... And the reason I say that is.....if you KNOW to do all that it works great....but if you don't KNOW ahead of time you can get frustrated and give up as I find the architecture of this software is quite foreign to my logic as compared to other Windows based software....  It just doesn't 'feel' comfortable.....

BTW....between my posts I shut down the computer....did some exercise and logged back on to check this thread.....and wouldn't you know it.....it took a half hour to download and install another change..... While I appreciate updates it just seems like every time I log on I have to take a sabbatical before using the software.....I guess I should start to deny updates until I have finished my current session.....maybe that will prove less frustrating...

Thanks for all the help guys.....I do appreciate that part of this software....there are good people here.  I just get tired of fighting the software.....

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 27 2015 2:21 PM

Carl P. Garrett, III:
I just caught my problem when you mentioned it's not a "basic" search..... I didn't click on "Bible" and didn't use "phrase"..

No problem - it's worth looking at some of the examples in the search tab and having a play with them - I found it tricky at first, but am finding more and more powerful ways of searching now. Bradley's point above is also a good one. 

Carl P. Garrett, III:
between my posts I shut down the computer....did some exercise and logged back on to check this thread.....and wouldn't you know it.....it took a half hour to download and install another change..... While I appreciate updates it just seems like every time I log on I have to take a sabbatical before using the software.....I guess I should start to deny updates until I have finished my current session.....maybe that will prove less frustrating...

The other thing that you might find helpful is to switch off automatic downloads in the settings menu (Preferences on Mac). I just do a weekly update now unless I've bought a new resource I want to use urgently. I normally leave that download till Monday morning, when I've got the maximum amount of time till the next time I preach! 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 9
Carl P. Garrett, III | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 27 2015 2:44 PM

GregW:

The other thing that you might find helpful is to switch off automatic downloads in the settings menu (Preferences on Mac). I just do a weekly update now unless I've bought a new resource I want to use urgently. I normally leave that download till Monday morning, when I've got the maximum amount of time till the next time I preach! 

Whoa Buddy....now THAT makes sense.... I didn't even realize that was possible.  I think you just spared me a lot of future pain!  Big Smile

Now I don't deal with the urge to toss the computer out the window quite so often!  Wink

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS