Fusion Drive

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 59
Josh | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 28 2015 7:25 AM

I am thinking of buying a new Mac Mini with a Fusion drive. Anyone out there using Fusion drive?

I have L5 with 1500 resources currently running on my MBA (2013 model) and performance is fantastic. I have heard that SSD is much better than a HDD, but I need a larger storage space. A bit apprehensive of the performance using fusion drive and would like to hear from anyone out there who have been using it. (Especially when Logos is indexing). 

Thanks in advance!

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 9:10 AM

I can't speak for the fusion drive, but I would consider it. Personally, I just bought a "brand new" 2012 Mac Mini and swapped out RAM and added a 500 GB SSD.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 9:20 AM

Josh

I have just returned from the Apple shop in Aberdeen, where I discussed Fusion drive with the Apple salesperson. From my playing with it, it appears stable and seamless in operation. Certainly the in-store iMac with the Fusion drive performed flawlessly. Accordingly, when I finish on the Logos forums, I'm going to order a 27" iMac 5K display, which has a 1TB Fusion drive as standard!  (Oh and I'm going to get 16GB Ram and 4.0 GHz Processor. Just haven't yet decided whether I should add the enhanced Graphics chip! (Probably will).

Big Smile (There isn't a smug "cat got the cream" emoticon!

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 1573
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 10:11 AM

I have an iMac with a Fusion Drive and an iMac with a SSD and a regular HD. I don't notice any difference in drive performance between the two. The FD is a solid system that works for what it was designed to do—combine the performance of an SSD and the cheaper capacity of a HD.

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 10:48 AM

Fusion drive works great. It makes many functions in Logos fly (like indexing).

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 11:07 AM

JH:

Fusion drive works great. It makes many functions in Logos fly (like indexing).

After what you said, I can hardly wait. Just ordered my new iMac

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display    
With the following configuration:
4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB
1TB Fusion Drive
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
Accessory Kit

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 2278
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 12:40 PM

Alan Macgregor:
After what you said, I can hardly wait. Just ordered my new iMac

Hi Alan,

I am considering a similar configuration and would be very interested to hear your verdict once you have everything up and running.

Blessings,

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 12:49 PM

The iMac 5K runs Logos very nicely! However, there are a few visual artifacts that are somewhat quirky that have already been posted as bugs.

Posts 2250
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 28 2015 2:49 PM

Logos indexing chews through RAM and then uses a good bit of disk space, Any help via an SSD or hybrid drive is well worth having. I still have a standard HD in my MacMini, so my coffee breaks are a bit longer. Geeked

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 89
Duncan Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 5 2017 1:46 AM

Alan,

I know I'm dragging up an old thread, but hoping you are still on the forums.

I am considering moving to the 27" iMac 5k, from a MacBook Pro, and wanted to check what your logos ex-Erie nice has been like with the 5k iMac, further down the line. Would you recommend it?

Thanks

Duncan

Posts 948
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 5 2017 7:35 AM

According to the current Wikipedia article, there is a hardware difference in the size of the on-board flash storage based on the HDD size.  This change occurred in 2015, so unlike older Fusion Drives (mid-2015 and earlier) which all had 128GB flash, only 2TB and above have that today.  Not sure what the potential impact to performance may be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_Drive

Posts 170
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 5 2017 9:59 AM

I have an older 2014 Mac Mini with standard 1TB HD in it.Logos was unbearably slow with the standard HD.

It is easy to attach a USB3.0 external SSD drive to the mac mini and use that to create your own fusion drive. So I did that and it is an amazing improvement in speed. Don't know how the Apple Fusion works but the performance is like a straight SSD.

Of course if buying a new imac then best to get it with the fusion drive already. But if you have an old imac/mac mini that has a usb 3.0 port, then might be worth considering buying a 128gb SSD for under $100 and putting it in a usb3.0 enclosure and converting to a fusion drive. I've been running for a couple of months with this set up without a glitch.

Jim

Posts 948
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 5 2017 3:57 PM

Jim Snowden:

Of course if buying a new imac then best to get it with the fusion drive already.

2TB and up.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS