Tech Support-Two Thumbs Down, Dave Hooton-Life Saver

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 7 2015 6:41 AM

Some background:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/100490.aspx

The sales team is good, customer service is good, but the few times I really needed tech support, they were useless.

My latest encounter: First, they told me they would call me back at a specific time. Never did. Two hours past that time I call back. They tell me they do not make appointments but give ranges of time, like the cable company, you know. So I am stuck sitting by the phone. Four hours later, or so, I call back. I finally get bumped up to tier two, but they are all busy. The operator tells me that my call is very important and she really did try to get me to a tech, but they were all busy. Though she reassures me that I am first in the queue to call back. Eighteen hours later no call, so I call. Finally I get a tech. However, after link to my computer, he finds I am on the beta channel. I understand its beta and there are consequences. But, the whole tone shifted and there were no longer any pleasantries. There was no longer any desire to help. I was desperate and begged him to just take a look at the logs. He just repeatedly referred me to the forums. I know, its beta, and he is probably directed as such. But, it could have been handled better.

Anyway, during this I have posted logs to the forums and reinstalled the none beta. Ouch! Nothing is working. I call back. And the tech will accept my logs, pass them on to a developer and they will call me back. I still hear not a word, no call. Then I find this helpful message from Dave this morning. It still took a little work, but Dave gave the effort that no Faithlife employee did. I guess it felt like they just did not care.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I am a bit upset with Faithlife at the moment. And, I know, it is partially my own doing. I just wanted to share my story in hopes tech support might have a bit more compassion for the next desperate person that calls them repeatedly. At least return your phone calls.

Thanks Dave. Your a tier ten+ tech support master in my book!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 7 2015 7:31 AM

Michael McLane:
Finally I get a tech. However, after link to my computer, he finds I am on the beta channel. I understand its beta and there are consequences. But, the whole tone shifted and there were no longer any pleasantries. There was no longer any desire to help. I was desperate and begged him to just take a look at the logs. He just repeatedly referred me to the forums. I know, its beta, and he is probably directed as such. But, it could have been handled better.

Yes, it could have been handled better. Faithlife could have a private beta program by invitation only and keep from gaining a reputation of non-functional or buggy software. Then they could address the performance flaws in their released version. I am sorry you were led to believe there is tech support for the beta channel. Except for a small handful of gurus (Dave, Steve, and Mark) I don't know where Faithlife would be. 

disclosure: I have not, nor will ever use a Logos beta version. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 7 2015 7:32 AM

Hi Michael

It is probably as well that this is posted to the Stable Logos 6 forum as a warning to those who might dabble with the Beta versions.

There are warnings posted to the head of the Beta Forum and these need to be taken seriously.

I note that the warning about tech support being limited to forums is not in the latest version but it still applies.

If you do not have a second computer to keep a stable version on for the, inevitable, times that the beta goes belly up then you would be well advised to switch back to the stable version as soon as practicable.

However Dave is a resource that we all value - it is just that he isn't on immediate call 24/7

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 7 2015 8:00 AM

Just to be clear, I completely understand and accept the perils of the beta world. That being said, this was a problem not related to the beta as it affected my other stable installations, of which I have three on two different platforms. The problem was causing all note files to not sync across all desktop installations, beta and stable. iOS unaffected.

What I left out was that a week ago, when this problem began, I was advised by tech support to update all my installations to the same version as that was likely a discrepancy between different versions in syncing notes. I had to leave town then, for several days, and did not get back to dealing with the issue, which is when this current experience started.

Again, I am not necessarily blaming tech support, it just was apparent to me that the issue was much deeper than a beta issue (since stable releases where affected) and if they had listened a bit more earnestly, rather than using the beta issue to get me off the phone (my hyperbole), logs could have at least been submitted.

However, I still understand that they have to have perimeters for support that are reasonable to staff for, and beta is out of the question.

In all honesty, I did not feel heard by a company I am invested heavily in. Its mostly my self-centered feelings.

But, practically speaking, they could have returned their phone calls as they said they would. Then, perhaps, I would have "felt" heard.

Smiles to you all.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 7 2015 9:14 AM

Michael McLane:
Just to be clear, I completely understand and accept the perils of the beta world. That being said, this was a problem not related to the beta as it affected my other stable installations, of which I have three on two different platforms. The problem was causing all note files to not sync across all desktop installations, beta and stable. iOS unaffected.

Now your frustration makes a lot of sense. I am glad Dave Hooton was able to help you. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 151
Dave L | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 7 2015 1:49 PM

I had a problem a while back and tech service (Tommy) had me install TeamViewer on my desktop. I turned it on and emailed the password to them. They fixed the problem by operating my computer from their location. I was here watching them maneuver around setting things straight, but I easily could have been sleeping or somewhere else. It was a real treat watching him work. 

I used to do service calls and the best we could do is tell folks we'd be there late morning or early afternoon etc. It's something you just can't pinpoint.  

Posts 33789
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 7 2015 2:04 PM

There are times when whether or not something is under Logos support's purview gets muddied as appears to be what occurred in this case. For me it was a problem that errored out on a document error but was in fact a PB parsing error. Sometimes it takes perseverance and tenacity to get the required support - but I've found that to be true of nearly all software companies.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3207
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 7 2015 7:13 PM

[quote user="Super.Tramp"]I am glad Dave Hooton was able to help you. [/quote]

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 27240
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 7 2015 8:55 PM

Michael McLane:
Thanks Dave. Your a tier ten+ tech support master in my book!

The beta forum is really the only place for issues with beta versions, no matter how badly they impact your stable versions or study schedule. If serious enough the developers will quickly issue another beta, as with the recent Beta 4 issue on Mac. Or they could diagnose your logs and propose a fix as I was able to do on this occasion.

Seasoned beta testers have been impacted by an individual problem and, mostly, received a quick fix. A couple of times I've had to wait a week or so for a new beta!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS