What is the exegetical or hermeneutical application of Logos' word usage graphs?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 64
BDW | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 13 2015 1:10 PM

How can I use these graphs to improve my interpretation Scripture? I think they look nice but I would love to actually be able to get value out of them.

Yours in Christ,

-Bart

Posts 30054
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 1:16 PM

Barton Waldon:
How can I use these graphs to improve my interpretation Scripture?

I don't know the answer to your question, but something went wrong in posting the image. What file format did you use? Did you use the paperclip icon to "attach" the image (which is the correct procedure)? 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 1:17 PM

Bart,

We can't see the image to which you are referring.

Posts 64
BDW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:05 PM

It was just a picture of the word graph. 

Posts 973
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:10 PM

alabama24:

Barton Waldon:

I don't know the answer to your question, but something went wrong in posting the image. What file format did you use? Did you use the paperclip icon to "attach" the image (which is the correct procedure)? 

I know this is a bit off-topic, but my hypothesis is that if you paste an image from the clipboard in IE (not in Chrome), which seems to be the intuitive thing to do, the image will show up in "Compose" mode, but will not show up after the message is posted. At least that's been my experience.

Posts 34364
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:10 PM

Sorry but I still don't know if you mean

• translation wheel
  • spark graph (frequency of word)
  • word sense wheel
  • case frames
  • or least likely, prepositional use

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 34364
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:12 PM

You need to use the paperclip icon to insert a picture - copy and paste does not work. There are also some limits on image type but I don't recall them off the top of my head.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 30054
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:29 PM

Lew Worthington:
I know this is a bit off-topic, but my hypothesis is that if you paste an image from the clipboard in IE (not in Chrome), which seems to be the intuitive thing to do, the image will show up in "Compose" mode, but will not show up after the message is posted. At least that's been my experience.

For people unfamiliar with forum software, you are probably right about it being "intuitive" to paste an image in, but you can't do so. 

Posts 30054
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:30 PM

MJ. Smith:
There are also some limits on image type but I don't recall them off the top of my head.

I don't know the rules either, but typically .jpg and .png work best.

Posts 1728
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 5:22 PM

Barton Waldon:

Hi Barton.

Here's a real-life example I've used this week.

In Exodus, the Hebrew word nā·ḡǎś (found in Exodus 3:7; 5:6, 10, 13, 14) is translated "slave driver" (NIV, NLT) or "taskmaster" (ESV, NRSV, KJV). Run a Bible Word Study on this word, and you'll see the negative connotations it has: the horror and lack of dignity associated with abusing workers.

But in Ex 1:11 the Hebrew word śǎr is translated "slave masters" (NIV), "slave drivers" (NLT), or "taskmasters" (ESV, NRSV, KJV). śǎr actually means an official. It connotes the honor and dignity associated with a royal appointment or princely position. It is translated positively elsewhere in Exodus (2:14; 18:21, 25). The translation graph shows the overwhelmingly positive tones the word has as a government appointee or prince.

Based on this evidence, I'm making a case that śǎr has been mistranslated in Ex 1:11. I'd like to demonstrate that the Exodus narrator is providing an account of how human government goes wrong, but that our translations fail to recognize the hints in the story. (The ultimate contrast here is between Pharaoh's and YHWH's governments.)

In general, these translation graphs show the relevant prominence of the various domains of meaning for a word. But at times they can demonstrate that a word probably hasn't been rendered well in our translations.

HTH

Posts 64
BDW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 5:32 PM

hmmm. Could they also establish a semantic range for words in Scripture? 

I appreciate your example!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 14 2015 6:28 AM

Allen, that's interesting. I was looking at the same verse last week but analyzing 'slave' (slavery, etc).  I still have to continue, but I wonder concerning slave as an owned property vs slave as unpaid indigenous labor (eg Egypt, Solomon, etc).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 15 2015 1:25 AM

Barton Waldon:

hmmm. Could they also establish a semantic range for words in Scripture? 

This can be done in L6 provided you work from the Hebrew or Greek Lemma. Right click a word, select the Lemma entry and choose Bible Word Study. In the new window you have a Sense section that gives you the semantic range of meaning for that particular Hebrew or Greek word, including a graph.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS