Encyclopedia Britannica for Noet is here

Page 2 of 8 (143 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 142 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 1945
Posts 295
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 7:14 AM

Mark:

The Community Pricing edition is the public domain edition from 1911.  From Wikipedia:

The Encyclopædia Britannica Eleventh Edition (1910–1911) is a 29-volume reference work, an edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica. It was developed during the encyclopaedia's transition from a British to an American publication. Some of its articles were written by the best-known scholars of the time. This edition of the encyclopedia is now in the public domain, but the outdated nature of some of its content makes its use as a source for modern scholarship problematic. Some articles have special value and interest to modern scholars as cultural artifacts of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 7:34 AM

Will updates at a reduced price be made available as new additions come out? I would hate to have to spend $99 every time a new edition comes out.

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 8:21 AM

Mark:

Hi Mark,

These are the same products--the EBNE is branded as a Noet product, but it works with your Logos library, too. Hope that helps!

Sherri

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 8:28 AM

Hi all,

The Noet edition includes content all the way up through 2015. This resource is a special edition of EB content--what makes it unique is the tagging and integration into your Logos/Noet library. This resource will make your Timeline more comprehensive, add 25,000 searchable images to your library, and help you dig into Scripture's historical context with EB articles on secular topics. This resource offers an excellent way to enhance your library with tons of media and information.

Thanks,

Sherri

Posts 27683
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 8:32 AM

Sherri- is there any way to get an idea of what is included AND excluded from other EB editions? Growing up, we had an encyclopedia set, which was useful for school projects. If this would be similar to that, I would be interested. If it is only related to typical bible/literature subjects, not so much. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27683
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 8:36 AM

Sherri Huleatt:

Mark:

Hi Mark,

These are the same products--the EBNE is branded as a Noet product, but it works with your Logos library, too. Hope that helps!

Sherri

you need to double check that... They can't be the same thing, or we haven't understood you right. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 8:38 AM

Check the dates of the two editions—they differ.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 8:49 AM

alabama24:

Sherri- is there any way to get an idea of what is included AND excluded from other EB editions? Growing up, we had an encyclopedia set, which was useful for school projects. If this would be similar to that, I would be interested. If it is only related to typical bible/literature subjects, not so much. 

Hi Alabama24,

Unfortunately, there's no way for us to tell what's included/excluded from older print versions of the EB, but I can tell you that this edition will include very similar (but updated) content to what you had growing up--there's not just a focus on biblical or literary topics--this edition includes a well-rounded look at thousands of topics.

Hope this helps!

Sherri

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 8:51 AM

alabama24:

Sherri Huleatt:

Mark:

Hi Mark,

Sherri

you need to double check that... They can't be the same thing, or we haven't understood you right. 

My apologies! I misunderstood the question. The 32-volume edition is a much older edition from 1922. The new Noet edition has content updated through 2015. Sorry for the confusion!

Sherri

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 8:53 AM

Rosie Perera:

A.J. van den Herik:
I also wonder if this is the whole encylopedia and not only a selection.

Seems awfully pricey, then.

You can get the official Encyclopedia Britannica 2015 Ultimate Edition DVD for £39.99 (about $61) directly from Britannica. Less from other vendors.

Yes, the Noet edition will have more features than just the articles, with all the tagging that must go into it. So I'd be willing to pay $99.95 for it. But not if what we're getting isn't the entire thing. And that's the pre-pub price, too, after which it goes up to $499.95? That seems way too steep for partial content and even if it were the whole thing.

EDIT: I realized there might be different ways of counting articles. Some counts might include the "XXXXX. See YYYYY." entries and some might not.

Hmmm if the Noet version turns out not to be the complete version I may get this version instead. Thanks Rosie.

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 9:08 AM

Sherri,

Will this version have articles from Britannica's "Macropedia"?

The reason I ask is that I have the Britannica 2012 "Ultimate" DVD.  Based on review and comments by people who had both this and the print version, my DVD is basically the "micropedia".  Nowadays, to access  "macropedia" (with it's in depths articles) you have to go online. 

If it contains are articles from the macropedia, I might be interested in purchasing it.  

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 9:10 AM

Michael Sullivan:

Sherri,

Will this version have articles from Britannica's "Macropedia"?

The reason I ask is that I have the Britannica 2012 "Ultimate" DVD.  Based on review and comments by people who had both this and the print version, my DVD is basically the "micropedia".  Nowadays, to access  "macropedia" (with it's in depths articles) you have to go online. 

If it contains are articles from the macropedia, I might be interested in purchasing it.  

Hi Michael,

Great question. Let me dig into that, and I'll get back to you soon with an answer!

Sherri

Posts 295
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 10:13 AM

Sherri,

I think the question on most minds is that the listed content on Logos page doesn't correspond to the full content that is listed in the Britannica.  It looks like what Faithlife describes is some subset of the total current articles and pages.

From the Britannica Store for the 2013 Deluxe DVD

• 82,000+ Articles
  • Nearly 20,000 Photos, Illustrations, Tables, and More
  • 1,300+ Video and Audio Clips

Thanks for clarifying what we would be purchasing.

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 10:47 AM

Bruce Roth:

Sherri,

I think the question on most minds is that the listed content on Logos page doesn't correspond to the full content that is listed in the Britannica.  It looks like what Faithlife describes is some subset of the total current articles and pages.

From the Britannica Store for the 2013 Deluxe DVD

• 82,000+ Articles
  • Nearly 20,000 Photos, Illustrations, Tables, and More
  • 1,300+ Video and Audio Clips

Thanks for clarifying what we would be purchasing.

Hi Bruce,

You're correct--the Noet edition is a more concise version of the larger Enclyclopaedia Britannica, although it comes with updated content and advanced integration with your Logos/Noet library.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Sherri

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 10:50 AM

Sherri Huleatt:
You're correct--the Noet edition is a more concise version of the larger Enclyclopaedia Britannica

The obvious question: what is included and what is not included?

Logos needs to provide a good bit more information on this product. Article and word counts mean little except to show how 'concise' this is. We want to know what is included and what has been left out, and we want to know whether we are being given concise articles or full ones.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 11:09 AM

Sherri Huleatt:

You're correct--the Noet edition is a more concise version of the larger Enclyclopaedia Britannica, although it comes with updated content and advanced integration with your Logos/Noet library.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

So the marketing video mentions that the print equivalent would be 33,000 pages or 32 volumes. According to the Britannica website, that is the size of the full Encyclopaedia Britannica 15th edition.

Is that what we are buying or not?

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 11:37 AM

One more question for you Sherri:

You mentioned that the Noet edition will have updated content.  Will the content be updated every year (i.e. like Britannica's Year Book or buying an updated Britannica DVD) or is it just updated to 2015 and stay that way?

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 12:15 PM

Michael Sullivan:

One more question for you Sherri:

You mentioned that the Noet edition will have updated content.  Will the content be updated every year (i.e. like Britannica's Year Book or buying an updated Britannica DVD) or is it just updated to 2015 and stay that way?

Hi Michael,

We're still working out the details, but yes--we will be releasing updates for a small fee. We haven't determined how often these updates will be released or how much they'll cost, but we'll be sure to keep all of you in the loop once the details are hammered out.

Thanks,

Sherri

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 12:19 PM

Mark Smith:

Sherri Huleatt:
You're correct--the Noet edition is a more concise version of the larger Enclyclopaedia Britannica

The obvious question: what is included and what is not included?

Logos needs to provide a good bit more information on this product. Article and word counts mean little except to show how 'concise' this is. We want to know what is included and what has been left out, and we want to know whether we are being given concise articles or full ones.

Full length sample articles would really help with understanding the level of detail.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Page 2 of 8 (143 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS