Issues with a rule for creating a collection?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 20 2015 4:49 PM

I'm trying to create a rule for a Latin text collection.  I have tried the syntax:

title:"(Latin)"

However, I still keep seeing titles that, whilst they include the word Latin in the title do not include the word (Latin) in brackets.  I assumed that placing the brackets inside the inverted commas should keep anything that just happens to have "Latin" in the title out, and would only include the word "Latin" if it was in brackets, but I'm assuming wrongly.  I've had no luck with the videos.

Posts 9567
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 4:59 PM

Rayner, I think the simplest way to do this is to use the rule Language:Latin which will list all your language resources that are Latin.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 5:04 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Rayner, I think the simplest way to do this is to use the rule Language:Latin which will list all your language resources that are Latin.

Thank you!  I will do that.  However, since I am kind of a geek, I would also like to know why my attempt to create a rule above failed...? :)

Posts 9567
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 5:19 PM

I'm certainly not an expert at searching but searching what you have suggested title:"(Latin)" is the same as searching title:"Latin". My understanding is that the search is seeing () as white space and ignoring them.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 26601
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 6:14 PM

Parentheses and quotes are part of the syntax e.g.  title:(latin, greek)  = title:latin OR title:greek Therefore title:(latin) = title:latin = title:"latin".

I don't think there is an 'escape' character that can override that usage.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19227
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 6:37 PM

The reason your first attempt failed to do what you expected is that Logos ignores all punctuation in searches and filters. There is unfortunately no way to search for it, even within quotation marks. FWIW, Google ignores punctuation too for the most part, with a growing list of exceptions for special characters like @ and $ and #.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS