Pagination issue in Church Dogmatics

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Posts 24676
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 4 2015 8:00 AM

Yesterday I did some highlighting in Church Dogmatics on my iPad and when I look at the highlights and the resource on my desktop I see something strange about page numbers

As shown in the screenshot below all the highlights are reported as being on the same page but - using the last one as an example - it is actually on page 777 as shown by the page number. But the location window shows it is KD 848 or CD 758.

I've added a screencast to provide some more background

http://screencast.com/t/8qGEG0Sl 

I have tried this in other resources and they work fine so it seems something specific to CD.

This is using Logos 6.2 Beta 1 and 4.5.0 of the iPad app

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks, Graham 

Posts 1511
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 11:46 AM

Church Dogmatics has two active milestone indices: KD and Page.

The blue font search results (e.g. "2. Pure Doctrine as the Problem of Dogmatics [KD p. 848; CD p. 758]") is pulled directly from the table of contents.

The light grey search results (e.g. KD I.1 p. 848) is the active KD milestone at the point of the highlighting.

This points to a weakness in the KD data type. I believe we wanted to have support for the Kirchliche Dogmatic pagination (so we created the KD data type), however our ability to identify where those page numbers began was limited. Consequently, each KD milestone covers an enormous amount of turf--literally hundreds of pages in some cases.

At this point, I don't think there is much I can do about filling in the KD gaps. Although--if memory serves me--the margins of the most recent print run include the KD page numbers as well. If that's the case, we may be able to update these. I'll have to check my personal copies at home.

I'll also look into how the app resolves cases where there are more than one active milestone index. I don't have that answer right off the top of my head.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS