what I love about Logos 6

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4
Steve Wipperman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 10 2015 10:21 AM

I love the improvements across the board. Logos is faster and more user-friendly than ever before. I often shake my head when I remember sitting at an 8ft table with 6+ books spread out and open to Biblical references. The time that all took is handled in a flash today with Logos 6! 

Also, Logos 6 allows me to search far more resources than I ever possibly could in the old days.

Finally, I have experimented with my own personalizations of menus, layouts, etc.and found them easier to develop than ever before. 

To be far, here are some things I'd like to change:

1)     Logos 6 (and previous versions) takes too long to load. MS Word comes up in a few seconds. Often I wait several minutes for Logos;

2)     Updates are frustratingly frequent. I load Logos and discover an update… It takes 5 to 10 minutes before I can use Logos again. Since I mainly use Logos for sermon preparation on a weekly basis vs daily, it often seems like every time I need Logos, I have to wait frustratingly long;

3)     I do not find it easy to do a “quick” concordance search. If I am looking up “indignant” in the NIV, I stumble around sorting through menus and revising my search. Could there please be a quick concordance search button or menu item?

I have been an owner/subscriber of Logos software for many years and spent hundreds of dollars on purchasing new resources and upgrades. There is no other software I own that I have spent so much money on. Nothing even comes close. I realize that I’m not really comparing apples to apples. But, while I appreciate the amazing ability of Logos and have dispensed with the need to sit at an 8ft table with 6 or more reference books open, I find myself feeling like I have not been a good steward of God’s financial resources. The key books in my Logos library are ones that I purchased in hard-bound form. So, I have purchased them twice at a certain level. Most of this statement is my own problem and the choice I made knowingly when I spent money on Logos products. I just wanted to share with you at this length to communicate my thoughts.

For me, Logos is a love/hate software. I wish it were only love.

God’s blessings,

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 10:24 AM

For number 3, open search, set it to Bible, NIV, etc, then drag that search window to the top toolbar. You will then have a custom icon which will always take you to that search (learned this trick from LearnLogos.com).

Posts 29468
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 10:38 AM

Stephen Wipperman:

Logos 6 (and previous versions) takes too long to load. MS Word comes up in a few seconds. Often I wait several minutes for Logos;

Stephen Wipperman:
I load Logos and discover an update… It takes 5 to 10 minutes before I can use Logos again

Stephen - 

It might be helpful to know more about your system and some of your preferences. I use a four year old Mac Laptop, which I have made some adjustments to, and I don't see "several minute" wait times to load the app, nor do I regularly see "5 to 10 minute" down times due to updates. 

Could you give us some specs? What OS? How much ram? What processor? What kind of hard drive? How full? 

A couple of software and hardware tweaks I made: I upgraded to 8 GB ram and an SSD HD. On the Logos side of things: I load to a blank layout and have auto downloads set to "no."

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 1:02 PM

Stephen Wipperman:
I do not find it easy to do a “quick” concordance search. If I am looking up “indignant” in the NIV, I stumble around sorting through menus and revising my search. Could there please be a quick concordance search button or menu item?

Inline search (introduced in L6) fulfils this well. You can search your Bible without leaving the tab your Bible is in. To use it,

• click on the Search button (1).
  • Enter your search term in the box (2).
  • Click on the arrow on the right-hand side and all the results will show in the pane. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 1:14 PM

Stephen Wipperman:
The key books in my Logos library are ones that I purchased in hard-bound form. So, I have purchased them twice at a certain level.

Stephen

I was the same. I have given away nearly 2000 books to other ministers, students and organisations that give them to seminaries in other countries, so I feel that other people can have the good of them.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2015 9:11 PM

Stephen Wipperman:
3)     I do not find it easy to do a “quick” concordance search. If I am looking up “indignant” in the NIV, I stumble around sorting through menus and revising my search. Could there please be a quick concordance search button or menu item?

Right Click, click lemma, drag Bible Word Study to desired location:

Click Bible Word Study ring segment to see verses.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 11:43 AM

I wish my MS Word opened in seconds.  Many times it takes as long if not longer than Logos.  I will say Logos opens quicker in 6 than it did in 5 and 4. At least it does in my perception.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 1:56 PM

Stephen, updates are rather frequent but one I've been whining about since December is still being resisted from being fixed by Logos.

Today, I get a reminder regarding Factbook - super - one or more problems with that though, it's still not working correctly. Amazing!  :-]

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS