[request] Should "auto-complete" work the same in a Visual Filter as in a Search?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 26056
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 6 2015 1:18 AM

This is with 6.2 RC3 on Windows 8.1

The auto-completer in a search window suggests tagged entries as per:

whereas in a Visual Filter these entries are not shown

Should the Visual Filter work the same way as the Search?

Thanks, Graham 

Posts 30857
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 5:44 AM

I wouldn't think so... Visual filters highlight words, right? The search is showing topics, right? What would the point be to highlight a topic? Did I misunderstand?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 26056
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 5:57 AM

alabama24:
Visual filters highlight words, right?

They can also highlight tagged objects - or make use of tagged objects for highlighting.

So - for example - if I am interested in the words of Jesus.

In a search pane I can enter

and the auto-completer gives me the option of choosing the Person Jesus

which results in 

I can then close the search term and I am done

Without this ability in visual filters I need to know how to construct these terms myself. In this case its not particularly difficult but, in general, I think it would be useful if the visual filter worked in the same way as the search

Same principle applies for Places and Things

Posts 30857
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 7:08 AM

Graham Criddle:
Without this ability in visual filters I need to know how to construct these terms myself. In this case its not particularly difficult but, in general, I think it would be useful if the visual filter worked in the same way as the search

Gotcha. Sounds reasonable to me. Using syntax is a very "techie" way to do things. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 28015
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2015 6:42 PM

Any comment from Faithlife?

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 819
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2016 11:14 AM

In the best of all possible worlds, all of the search and search-like inputs in the software would behave exactly the same. So Graham's intuition that the Visual Filter document ought to behave the same way as Search (and Inline Search) is correct. However, as far as the Curse is found, inconsistency has crept in. They really should be exactly the same controls in the code, but for historical reasons, they aren't. When we updated Search, we did not also update Visual Filters. We hope to at some point.

In the meantime, the only way to use the Search entry helpers in Visual Filters is to construct the search in Search first, and then copy and paste the results to the Visual Filter document. Tedious, but it works, and the good news about a VF document is you only have to set it up once.

Posts 26056
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2016 2:33 PM

Thanks Eli

Appreciated, Graham

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS