List of Wildcard characters please!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 16 2015 6:04 AM

I've tried to find a list of wildcard characters that can be used in search terms, but to no avail. I'm aware of "*" and "?". I'm wondering if there are any others. The ones I know about don't seem to "play well" with cantillation marks or vowel points in Hebrew.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2015 6:34 AM

Reuben_BT:
cantillation marks or vowel points in Hebrew

This may also help: https://wiki.logos.com/Search_Matching_Commands 

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2015 6:39 AM

Thanks David, I was hoping (against hope) that there would be an obscure wildcard that I hadn't discovered that would behave more like a Hebrew consonant. Oh well, I'll keep complaining and perhaps when I'm an old man Logos will "catch up" to their competitors in the area of searching on Hebrew vowels/accents. Don't get me wrong I intend to complain, not to jump the fence! Stick out tongue

I LOVE Logos and consider it unrivaled in MANY areas. I simply wish they would focus more on developing Original language work/analysis. Big Smile

Posts 73
Brian Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2015 6:49 AM

It would be nice if the wildcards behaved more like regular expressions. 

. = any character

? = zero or one

* = zero or more

+ = one or more

The spirit of a pilgrim greatly facilitates praying. An earth-bound, earth-satisfied spirit cannot pray.--E. M. Bounds

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2015 6:55 AM

Mark Barnes:

Thanks Mark,

I am using the matching commands feature, but this won't allow me to find ANY word with a given accent. The closest I've come is copying/pasting a word with the accent I want to find, then replacing the all the characters (that aren't attached to the accent) with an *. The problem is that I can't replace that one character since any vowels/accents are deleted before the consonant. In this way I copied a lamed initial word that contained the accent tevir on the lamed, I then replaced all the consonants (other than the lamed) with an *. The result was that I "hit" all the lamed initial words containing tevir, but you can imagine that that's quite a limited subset of ALL words containing tevir

When I searched for "[match accents] *֑*" I expected to see roughly one hit per verse. Instead it highlighted EVERY WORD in the Hebrew Bible (no wonder I thought it was doing nothing for a while!).

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2015 7:48 AM

Brian Wilson:
It would be nice if the wildcards behaved more like regular expressions. 

You can use simple regular expressions in Logos searching. It's not officially supported, but simple ones work OK.

Try https://community.logos.com/forums/t/12047.aspx 

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2015 7:51 AM

Reuben_BT:
I am using the matching commands feature, but this won't allow me to find ANY word with a given accent.

I don't believe it's possible to search only for accents: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/74739/581594.aspx#581594 

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2015 9:47 AM

For anyone interested in the ability to search Hebrew accents/vowels (or those feeling helpful and have a few votes to spare), please vote for the UserVoice item I created here.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS