Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 217
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 25 2010 6:05 PM

I would like to ask those who have the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture what they see as the advantages over using the Cited By tool to search citations in the early sources.  I'm thinking particularly of comparing ease of use, comprehensiveness, and breadth, but I'd be interested in any observations.

Thanks,
Dudley

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 6:40 PM

Dudley, I only have one volume of the ACC in another format for my PDA.  So I am not an expert.  I was wondering, however, about at least one thing: translation.  Is the ACC perhaps a fresher translation?

Other than that, ACC will be put together succinctly.  But you are also relying on Oden to put together those citations.  What might he leave out?  What perspective?  On the other hand, sifting through search results could be tedious.  It might be nice to get some quick feedback on selected writings by a respected scholar.

lol, your call!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 308
James W Bennett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 4:27 AM

You also get access to far more early sources than are yet available in Logos. For example there are many references in the ACC to authors from the Syriac speaking Church and only a small number of works from those authors available in Logos.

---

James W Bennett

http://syriac.tara-lu.com/

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 4:57 AM

There's no comparison. The overlap between ACCS and my other patristic/early commentaries is less than you think, particularly amongst non-Latins.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 7:19 AM

I have print versions of the ACCS and in the introduction they claim that there are many excerpts not otherwise available in English. Also the ACCS has been gone over by human eyes, there is less information to sort through when you use it.

Posts 205
Stephen Paynter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 2:16 PM

I am a new user of the ACCS, and have only used it in the preparation of one sermon so far (on Ephesians). I found that it had interesting pertinent quotes from authors not in Schaff ... and that it was a helpful launch-pad into those in Schaff  .... one's which I never bother to look up as life is too short .... I ended up reading a homily of Chrysostum's because a click on a reference brought it up, enabling me not only to understand the ACCS quote in context, but enjoy Chrysostum's wisdom.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

Posts 217
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 4:32 PM

Thanks, everyone.  Very helpful.

Dudley

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS