Repeat Post: Appeal for a new HISTORY Feature

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 852
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 6 2015 6:00 AM

I suggested this a while back and want to revisit it.

Issue: Sometimes I am reading somewhere and come across some interesting rabbit-trails. Along the way, I see something that may be useful but don't really need at the time. Fairly often I try to find that piece of information a week or two later and it can take 15-20 minutes to get back there - sometimes longer - and sometimes I don't find it.

Possible solution: The ability to search my (recent) History in Logos would really narrow down the search prospects and make it easier to retrieve valuable data.

Todah.

Posts 164
Daniel Radke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 2:22 PM

Ron Corbett:

The ability to search my (recent) History in Logos

That would be a great feature! I second the request to make this happen.

eChristianResources.com - Connecting Christians With Quality Evangelical Resources Available For FREE On The Internet (including links to free Logos/Vyrso resources!)

Posts 2564
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 2:47 PM

In the interim, I suggest making use of the Clippings feature and similar means to keep track of such things.

Posts 2657
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 3:56 PM

SineNomine:

In the interim, I suggest making use of the Clippings feature and similar means to keep track of such things.

Yes. A file called 'Serendipitous Clippings' lives on my machine. I can later go to it and find stuff, move stuff to more appropriate places, or delete it if it wasn't as much fun as I thought.

I wouldn't argue against a better history tool, though.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2767
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 5:35 PM

Doc B:

SineNomine:

Yes. A file called 'Serendipitous Clippings' lives on my machine. I can later go to it and find stuff, move stuff to more appropriate places, or delete it if it wasn't as much fun as I thought.

I wouldn't argue against a better history tool, though.

That's not a bad idea.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband, Lover of Baseball!

How to upload logs

Posts 852
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 7 2015 7:50 PM

I always make use of the NOTES files as I am working - filing this here and that there, creating links, etc. It's just that I can't do that with EVERYTHING interesting that I read. So ... a HISTORY search feature would really help.

Posts 2564
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 12:52 PM

Ron Corbett:

I always make use of the NOTES files as I am working - filing this here and that there, creating links, etc. It's just that I can't do that with EVERYTHING interesting that I read. So ... a HISTORY search feature would really help.

Somebody mentioned it on the forums, so I checked. There already is a History feature. It's in the Tools menu, and it goes back pretty far. It doesn't allow you to search, but it's laid out in a way that makes it very easy to scan through.

Posts 852
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 3:47 PM

SineNomine:
Somebody mentioned it on the forums, so I checked. There already is a History feature. It's in the Tools menu, and it goes back pretty far. It doesn't allow you to search, but it's laid out in a way that makes it very easy to scan through.

Yes, and I have used it often just the way it is - but sometimes it still takes quite a while to find what I was looking for. A SEARCH feature on this would be much more efficient - IMHO. The pieces are all there ...

Posts 2564
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 8 2015 4:10 PM

Ron Corbett:
A SEARCH feature on this would be much more efficient - IMHO. The pieces are all there ...

Do you mean a feature that searches the text as already displayed by the tool? I would expect that to be very easy for Faithlife to build.

Posts 852
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 9 2015 2:24 PM

SineNomine:
Do you mean a feature that searches the text as already displayed by the tool?

I don't know if I understand your question, but The HISTORY tool "remembers" where you were in a particular resource. So if we could go to the HISTORY tool and (for instance) search for a word (or a string of words) from the list of books we looked through during the last week or two weeks or perhaps during the last month - any search hits would certainly be a huge step toward recovering the "lost " info. I spend so much time in Logos that I can't log every interesting find. Sometimes I read something that I don't need at the time but it stands out in my mind and when trying to recover it a week or two later I lament the lack of a SEARCH feature. 

Posts 18244
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 9 2015 3:34 PM

Ron Corbett:

SineNomine:
Do you mean a feature that searches the text as already displayed by the tool?

I don't know if I understand your question, but The HISTORY tool "remembers" where you were in a particular resource. So if we could go to the HISTORY tool and (for instance) search for a word (or a string of words) from the list of books we looked through during the last week or two weeks or perhaps during the last month - any search hits would certainly be a huge step toward recovering the "lost " info.

Yes, I've requested such a feature before and I think it would be extremely useful. I've gotten really used to being able to search through my browser history in this way (Chrome has a very handy history search feature: it searches all your Temporary Internet files for whatever text you want to find, in reverse chronological order of when you visited those pages). It would be slightly different for Logos to implement something like this, because they don't use caching the way an internet browser does to store the pages you looked at form a resource. So you'd basically have to search through all the contents of every resource you'd looked at. But they could introduce a form of caching (would be more of a development effort) where they kept track of what parts of the resources you had paged through. I wouldn't necessarily want to search through entire resources for something I saw only on a single page when I was exploring from a Passage Guide, for example. There might be a lot of red herrings in such a search. When I know I saw something recently and am vague about what or where it was, I'd want a more targeted search through just the stuff I was actually looking at.

This feature request is languishing on UserVoice. Let's give it some attention!

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/6629159-add-a-find-command-to-history 

Posts 852
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 10 2015 2:34 AM

Just gave this Feature Request two more votes on User Voice.

Thanks Rosie 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS