[ACK] Bug 6.3 Beta: About screen on 2nd monitor with normal DPI looks strange

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1511
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 7 2015 6:01 AM

My primary screen has high DPI, while my secondary screen has normal DPI. 

If I open the About screen on the high-DPI monitor it looks fine. Same thing if I open it on the high-DPI monitor and then drag it to the normal-DPI monitor.

But if I have Verbum on the normal-DPI monitor, and open the about screen, most of the time it renders incorrectly. It does things like this:

I think it has to do with the positioning of the About Window on its initial load. For whatever reason, when I have Verbum open on the second monitor, the About Window is opening halfway between the primary and secondary monitor, and partially offscreen on the bottom of the screen. The parts that render incorrectly are the parts that are off-screen, or that cross between monitors. 

Here's a log where the only thing I do is open up Verbum, full screen it on the second monitor, and open the About box.

0160.Verbum.zip

This bug has been present since at least the beginning of 6.3 Beta.

Posts 25096
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 9:27 PM

Bump-FL

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 13 2015 8:03 AM

I talked with Ryan about this, and apparently it's a known issue with applications on a second screen (rather than resolution-specific) in the Windows Presentation Foundation, which we use. Moving the window around should resolve it, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's much we can do, since it's not specific to our code. You'll see this in other applications that utilize WPF as well.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 1511
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 13 2015 8:06 AM

Dylan - I'm pretty sure you could fix it just by having the About screen open in the right place. 

Right now the About screen ALWAYS opens up for me halfway between the two monitors, and partially off the screen of either monitors! This happens only when I open the About screen from the 2nd monitor. If I open it from the 1st monitor, the About screen opens up entirely on the 1st monitor, and there are no problems. 

The only parts that are "messed up" are always the parts that (1) cross over to the 2nd monitor and (2) are off the screen when opened.

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 13 2015 8:16 AM

Fr Devin Roza:

Dylan - I'm pretty sure you could fix it just by having the About screen open in the right place. 

Right now the About screen ALWAYS opens up for me halfway between the two monitors, and partially off the screen of either monitors! This happens only when I open the About screen from the 2nd monitor. If I open it from the 1st monitor, the About screen opens up entirely on the 1st monitor, and there are no problems. 

The only parts that are "messed up" are always the parts that (1) cross over to the 2nd monitor and (2) are off the screen when opened.

Sorry, I think we came at this from two different perspectives! (Mostly, I read the report too fast and focused on the wrong thing.) I saw it as the issue of getting the weird lines in the box => a WPF issue we can't fix. I overlooked the fact that the About panel opening in the wrong position was the root cause, and I agree that's something we should be able to handle better. I'll go ahead and make a case.

Does this only affect the About panel, or do all floating windows opened from the second monitor open in-between screens?

Posts 1511
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2015 1:57 PM

BTW, this same problem (of the window opening between the two monitors, and halfway off the screen), occurs with the Visual Copy tool, when run from the 2nd monitor (always when full-screened). Same distortion problems.

I am seeing this now with the Media Browser. Always opens in the same spot as well, just like the About window.

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2015 2:21 PM

Fr Devin Roza:

BTW, this same problem (of the window opening between the two monitors, and halfway off the screen), occurs with the Visual Copy tool, when run from the 2nd monitor (always when full-screened). Same distortion problems.

I am seeing this now with the Media Browser. Always opens in the same spot as well, just like the About window.

I've added that information to the case. Tongue Tied

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS