[resolved] 6.3 B5 Indexer memory hog??

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9095
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2015 11:33 AM

Mark, thanks for your response.

What, then accounts for the difference in how much memory is freed up by ending the indexer process in Task Manager versus pausing the indexing?

While I can't explain why it is happening, I can state that when I simply pause indexing my computer is considerably slower (all the while showing about 7 GB of 8GB being used).

This issue also is new. It came along (seemingly) with the new process of downloading and indexing that 6.3 gave us.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9095
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2015 11:35 AM

Angela Murashov:
This should be improved in 6.3 RC2.

Thank you, Angela. I will have to wait until something new downloads to see the improvement.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2098
LogosEmployee

Pausing doesn't do anything special to release memory. Instead, the indexer just stops working for a while.

A change unrelated to the new update system was made back in mid march to improve the performance of the indexer. It's possible that this was causing the problems you were seeing, so we reverted that change. I believe it is part of the 6.3 release. Please let us know if indexing seems to be better after the release.

Posts 10101
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2015 9:56 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
Pausing doesn't do anything special to release memory. Instead, the indexer just stops working for a while

This seems to me the design bug behind that. Pausing the indexer should free up the system, that's the reason this feature exists at all. At least as Mark described the issue above, the problem choking his machine seems not to be CPU or disk, but memory usage.

I think, pausing should release memory, after all we told the indexer to not work for four hours.   

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3084
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2015 10:03 AM

NB.Mick:
This seems to me the design bug behind that. Pausing the indexer should free up the system, that's the reason this feature exists at all.
NB.Mick:
I think, pausing should release memory, after all we told the indexer to not work for four hours.   

Exactly.

Posts 8053
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2015 11:40 AM

SineNomine:

NB.Mick:

Exactly.

The indexer doesn't allocate the memory, so pausing can't free it.

From https://community.logos.com/forums/p/104869/726343.aspx#726343:

Mark Barnes:

Logos isn't holding that data in memory. Windows itself is caching the indexing file in memory. When the LogosIndexer process terminates, Windows releases the file and hence the memory. I'm not even sure a process can control whether this caching occurs.

Posts 9095
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2015 12:52 PM

Mark Smith:

Angela Murashov:
This should be improved in 6.3 RC2.

Thank you, Angela. I will have to wait until something new downloads to see the improvement.

I am seeing a big improvement. There was a large download this afternoon that triggered indexing. So far total RAM used is under 6GB (closer to 5GB) and I have full (albeit slower) use of my computer. Whatever was done, it has helped, and I appreciate it.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9095
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2015 12:53 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
A change unrelated to the new update system was made back in mid march to improve the performance of the indexer. It's possible that this was causing the problems you were seeing, so we reverted that change. I believe it is part of the 6.3 release. Please let us know if indexing seems to be better after the release.

See my post above to Angela, but I am back to more normal indexing loads. Whatever you 'undid' seems to have helped a lot. Thank you.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS