How many programmers

Page 1 of 3 (49 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 48 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 11 2015 3:42 PM

Does anyone know how many programmers (I think this is what we call those who fix Logos) are there involved in making, fixing Logos? 

Posts 4662
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 9:41 AM

Only Faithlife would be able to accurately answer that question. Just curious, why do you want to know?

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 1:44 PM

I'm asking that because of the slow fix for Timeline / Factbook. I've seen this type of thing with Biblesoft (promises to make fixes) and we all know what eventually happened to Biblesoft. 

This is an honest question by the way!  How does on contact Faithlife? 

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 2:01 PM

Bootjack:
How does on contact Faithlife? 

I'm sure someone like Bradley will be able to give a rough answer when he notices your question. Until he does, I think the figure is about 100 or so. There are certainly more than 400 staff in total at Faithlife. There's no comparison with companies like Biblesoft.

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 2:07 PM

Bootjack:
How does on contact Faithlife? 

TIP: Most every company's website will have a "contact" link on their site's homepage. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 2:12 PM

Only 400 hey? Kowabunga! Anyway, thanks for the replies guys! 

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 2:15 PM

I think Bootjack is simply being concerned . We both owned Biblesoft back in the day ( seems so long ago now) and, had a very bad experience that began with things not getting fixed that were supposed to.
Things went down hill from there- end result- wasted investment.

Thus, while i agree there is no real comparison between the companies , one does get that concern if similar things happen.
If it was cars, planes or boats- when one gets burned, one gets wary.

Fwiw Bootjack- I do think this company tries harder thought I don't think enough effort is made in perfecting one thing before moving to the net.
Just an opinion.

Blessings.

Posts 18763
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 2:21 PM

Mark Barnes:
I think the figure is about 100 or so.

That figure sounds in the right ballpark, but of course they are spread across all of Faithlife's products: Proclaim, the mobile apps, the websites, Faithlife the social networking platform, Biblia, etc. So it's likely there are only about 20-30 tasked specifically with Logos desktop for Windows/Mac. Many if not most of those are probably occupied working on new versions/features, so perhaps only a handful are available for bug fixing of existing versions. And I'm sure there's a pretty long list of bugs in their tracking database that haven't been fixed yet, so the priority of fixing one particular one you've reported might be lower down and I can understand why they might not get to it right away.

Sometimes they hold off on fixing bugs if they know they have scheduled a revamp of a particular feature area for a future release: it would be a waste of time to fix a bug in code that might be going away or being drastically rewritten anyway. Timeline and Factbook are both feature areas that have received quite a bit of flak for not being fully fleshed out when they first were released, so I'm guessing they are planning to address those in a bigger way than just hacking away at bugs here and there. So perhaps we'll see Faithlife address one or both of those feature areas in 6.4 or 6.5. Let's hope.

Anyway, they are not in any danger of going the way of BibleSoft in the near future. They are continuing to make major improvements in Logos, as you can tell from a perusal of the beta release notes.

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 2:21 PM

I think you've got closer to the truth than not, Charles. Back in December, I was told that Factbook / Community Tags was being fixed. That's how many months ago?

As you say, it gives me the willey's when I see something like that just not being touched. I know there's probably other things to be looked at (fixed) but something like this should have been done a long while back.

Nice seeing you on this forum Charles -  :-) 

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 2:24 PM

Appreciate your feedback Rosie. You've earned your Tim Horton's today!  With that said, I presently have the Core crossgrade - do you think it to my benefit I buy the Feature crossgrade? 

Posts 18763
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 2:27 PM

Bootjack:

Appreciate your feedback Rosie. You've earned your Tim Horton's today!  

Gee, really?! Smile

I usually don't go for Tim Horton's anyway, as I'm trying to watch my waistline, and I don't digest gluten as well as I used to so it can cause discomfort for hours. A donut just isn't worth that usually. Now a cinnamon bun, maybe... 

EDIT: Just saw your edit.

Bootjack:

With that said, I presently have the Core crossgrade - do you think it to my benefit I buy the Feature crossgrade? 

I don't know. I'm never a good one to ask about those questions. I pretty much always buy more of Logos and its resources than I really need (since I can afford to be profligate) and I don't get my money's worth since I'm not using it intensively very often. I used to justify that because as an MVP I wanted to be able to help everyone with their questions and I had to own at least what all the people asking questions owned. But now I'm not even doing the MVP thing formally anymore, as I have less time. So my old habits of buying up nearly everything that comes through pre-pub don't serve me well. I've tapered off a bit on it, but am still spending 5-digit figures per year.

Anyway, all that to say I don't know what's best for you.

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 2:39 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
I think Bootjack is simply being concerned .

I understand that. I was a Biblesoft user too.

I'd be concerned if there was no active development at all (how long has PC Study Bible been at version 5!?). But to be fair to Logos, they keep cranking out new versions and new features. There's a host of pet bugs/missing features I'd love them to fix, of course, but my list is probably quite different from yours — and actually, creating new features probably helps guarantee the future much more than nailing all the bugs.

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 2:42 PM

Bootjack:
 With that said, I presently have the Core crossgrade - do you think it to my benefit I buy the Feature crossgrade? 

It rather depends on what you had with L5. I think the Biblical Referents, Word Senses and Reported Speech Datasets are really handy, but you may have them from L5 days. Likewise all the reverse interlinears, which power so much.

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 2:43 PM

I suppose you could make something up Rosie - I'll believe anything!!!??! Seriously, thanks again for your feedback!  :-) 

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 2:47 PM

The only thing I could reply to that Mark is that I had Logos 5 Silver and now Logos 6 Silver. For me to search through everything involved with this ... well, I'd look a lot worse than I do now because of the aging process!  :-)

Posts 22095
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 3:17 PM

Bootjack:
The only thing I could reply to that Mark is that I had Logos 5 Silver and now Logos 6 Silver

So I think you are saying you have both Logos 6 Silver and the Core Crossgrade. Is that correct?

I'm querying it because I don't think Core Crossgrade gives you anything that you don't get in Silver so wondering how you got to that point?

EDIT: and from https://community.logos.com/forums/p/104891/725376.aspx#725376 it's not clear you actually have L6 Silver.

To see what Feature Crossgrade would add - and how much it would cost you - look at https://www.logos.com/product/45041/logos-6-feature-crossgrade and scroll down and select "New to You" and see what it would provide which you don't already have. Hopefully this will help you decide whether it is worth it to you.

Posts 18763
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 3:22 PM

Bootjack:

I suppose you could make something up Rosie - I'll believe anything!!!??! Seriously, thanks again for your feedback!  :-) 

Ha ha! You'd better beware. I seriously might make up something completely off-the-wall now that I know you're so gullible. Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 3:26 PM

Bootjack:
Only 400 hey? Kowabunga!

I think it is around 500. (Heard that number this week.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 58
Dave M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 13 2015 3:11 AM

Sorry this has nothing to do with programmers, however, when doing a bit of research on whether or not to upgrade to L6, I pretty much decided that Starter would be fine. Anything higher seems to have a massive amount of extraneous resources which I have no use for. Of course, the salesperson at Logos wants me to go Bronze stating that I would not receive Factbook, Universal Timeline, etc. But reading a few of these responses it appears that Factbook and Timeline have problems. So why would I? Just wondering and looking for a few thoughts and advice. 

Posts 22095
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 13 2015 3:45 AM

Dave M:
Of course, the salesperson at Logos wants me to go Bronze stating that I would not receive Factbook, Universal Timeline, etc

Worth noting that there are two ways to get these additional features - a higher base package or a crossgrade package.

FYI - Factbook is included in the core engine (but limited by resources) and Timeline is included in the Core Crossgrade which may be cheaper than Bronze

Dave M:
But reading a few of these responses it appears that Factbook and Timeline have problems. So why would I? Just wondering and looking for a few thoughts and advice. 

I find Factbook extremely useful and Timeline when I use it. Problems are reported against different parts of the software but I'm not aware of issues in either of these which would prevent someone using them.

The key question is whether the functionalities provided are of value to you.

I suggest if you want to explore that further you start another thread outlining what features you might like and we can advise further.

EDIT: Sorry - I see you have done that - https://community.logos.com/forums/t/104926.aspx - let's continue the conversation there

Page 1 of 3 (49 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS