Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1527
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 15 2015 3:57 AM

I would like to use the Concordance tool to make Word Lists. The new Lemma and Root concordance in v6.3 Beta offers interesting possibilities, as it allows us to filter by "Count". So, we should now easily be able to create a Word List, for example, of lemmas that appear more than 50x in the the NT (at least once we can export to a Word List).

However, most of the time, people need word lists to study a certain chapter or section of the Bible. E.g., say I am studying Romans 8, so I need that vocabulary. But most people interested in reading in Greek also have a base vocabulary they are starting from. Maybe they've memorized all the words that appear 50x or more, or 25x or more, or 10x or more in the NT. 

So, what we need is the ability to filter words by a reference range (e.g. Romans 8) in the Bible (this is already possible), and then filter by Count, but with the Count coming from the entire NT, not from the reference range... and then be able to export that to a Word List. 

There are different ways this functionality could be added to the Concordance tool. How I'd really like it to be implemented, however, would be to allow us to set a separate reference range for the "Count" (by default it could just continue to work as now, but with the option to change it manually if you want). That would cover basic scenarios like the one I mentioned above, as well as more advanced ones. 

Posts 34356
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2015 2:20 PM

This could be useful for things like demonstrating the statistics behind some of the document theories (J-E-D-P), non-original insertions, multiple authors etc.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 817
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2015 9:55 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
So, what we need is the ability to filter words by a reference range (e.g. Romans 8) in the Bible (this is already possible), and then filter by Count, but with the Count coming from the entire NT, not from the reference range... and then be able to export that to a Word List. 

Exporting a lemma or root concordance to a Word List is definitely on the road map for Concordance.

We've discussed having two count properties -- one in the book as a whole, and one in the current concordance. As you've no doubt noticed, the count refinement works against the current concordance view. Your scenario here is a good argument for including both counts, and allowing refinement on either. I'll run this by the team.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS