Theology Cross Reference Dataset?

Page 1 of 3 (49 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 48 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 22 2015 6:15 PM

Just downloaded the Theology Cross Reference Dataset. What is it? 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 2209
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 7:31 PM

It's the dataset that powers the upcoming Systematic Theologies guide section (for Bible reference-based guides), which will be in 6.4 Beta 1 next week for Logos Now subscribers.

Posts 9701
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 7:44 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
It's the dataset that powers the upcoming Systematic Theologies guide section (for Bible reference-based guides)

I just spent 10 minutes trying to look this up but didn't find anything. Thanks for the explanation.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 706
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 7:45 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

It's the dataset that powers the upcoming Systematic Theologies guide section (for Bible reference-based guides), which will be in 6.4 Beta 1 next week for Logos Now subscribers.

I'm not sure I've seen this question asked or answered. It seems from some of the information on Logos Now that it is replacing the beta testing program. Is there any reason to have our update channel set to beta if we do not subscribe to Logos Now? Some comments like the one I bolded above as well as the introductory post seem to hint that Now is the new beta format. I may be misunderstanding, but will non Now subscribers continue to get beta updates or just stable releases?

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 7:59 PM

Some beta features are limited to those who subscribe, others apply to all. For example I believer the updater improvements were not restricted to only those who subscribe to Logos Now. I would anticipate that improvements made to the software engine and existing tools and features will continue to be beta tested as they have always been.

Posts 34360
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 8:13 PM

Frank Sauer:

It seems from some of the information on Logos Now that it is replacing the beta testing program.

I believe it is more accurate to describe Logos Now as replacing the aging process. Rather than aging significant additions while waiting for the next major release, the additions now go into Logos Now. I'm still trying to decide whether vellum and leather or oak casks is the best icon for Logos Now.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9156
LogosEmployee

Frank Sauer:
I'm not sure I've seen this question asked or answered. It seems from some of the information on Logos Now that it is replacing the beta testing program. Is there any reason to have our update channel set to beta if we do not subscribe to Logos Now?

Logos Now is not replacing the beta testing program. You can beta test with or without Logos Now.

If you look at the Logos 6.3 release notes (https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_6.3), you'll see that they're divided into two sections: Logos Now features, and improvements for all users.

Users who joined the 6.3 beta test without Logos Now got the opportunity to test and provide feedback on silent updates, bulk tagging in Library, improved spell-checking in Notes, and various other improvements.

Users who subscribed to Logos Now who joined the 6.3 beta also got to test Concordance improvements and a new Grammars guide section.

It will be similar for Logos 6.4: if you don't have Logos Now, you can test the general program improvements; if you do subscribe to Logos Now, you can also test features only in Logos Now.

And if you don't join the beta, you will get access to these features in about six weeks when Logos 6.4 ships to all users (with the caveat that Logos Now features require a Logos Now subscription).

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 8:41 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

That was my hunch! Thanks Phil

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 1388
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 2:12 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Sorry if this has been answered already. Will this "Systematic Theologies" section (delivered next week)  be only for the Logos Now people who are also beta testers? Or is for all Logos Now clients?

Posts 25470
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 2:48 PM

Mike

I must be missing something.

In Phil's post you quote he says it will be for beta testers.

Graham

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 2:51 PM

Mike, since it is being released through the beta channel (it is in beta testing at this point), you must be on that channel to get the feature. In about six weeks, testing is to be finished and it will be released to the default or stable channel and non-beta testers will have it.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 317
Paul Meathrel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 2:52 PM

So will this charge make it's way into the desktop app eventually?

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 2:54 PM

No:

Paul Meathrel:

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 25470
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 2:58 PM

Paul Meathrel:

I don't believe we know the answer to that question

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 2:59 PM

Paul Meathrel:

it is Logos Now, so you'll need to be a subscriber to use it when it is released from beta testing. If you are not a subscriber you won't have access to it (at least until Logos 7 is released and perhaps not even then, but that discussion is on some other threads.)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 2:59 PM

Unix:

No:

Paul Meathrel:

I must've missed it so can you direct me to where Faithlife said, definitively ("No"), this feature will not eventually find its way into the desktop app. Thanks in advance.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 3:04 PM

There was some post where FL said this kind of dataset will make it into the next version of Logos: at this stage version 7 would be the one - then it will be included for everyone free of charge with Feature Crossgrade or a base-package upgrade (Silver level of any kind or Verbum Scripture Study may be required). New major versions come out every two years nowadays. Version 6 came out in October 2014.

EDIT: Feature? I thought You said charge? Faithlife is not going to start charging regular customers a subscription fee - everyone will eventually get most of the functionality and databases Logos Now subscribers get in advance - provided customers keep upgrading to major new version either through some of the Crossgrade alternatives or base-package upgrades. Since version 5 the custom has been that Silver and Scripture Study -levels contain most of the functionality of the software:

Yasmin Stephen:
where Faithlife said, definitively ("No"), this feature will not eventually find its way into the desktop app. Thanks in advance.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 1433
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 4:11 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

It's the dataset that powers the upcoming Systematic Theologies guide section (for Bible reference-based guides)

Which reminded me that I needed to change the name to "Systematic Theology Cross References Dataset." And I just did that, in case someone notes the name discrepancy later.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 3317
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 5:36 PM

I have been using this - in its basic form it is very useful - thanks for the work- the additional "related verses" and "illustrations" sections makes work a little easier- keep at it Wink

Posts 27419
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 24 2015 3:59 PM

Unix:
There was some post where FL said this kind of dataset will make it into the next version of Logos: at this stage version 7 would be the one - then it will be included for everyone free of charge with Feature Crossgrade or a base-package upgrade.

This statement is contradictory. If the dataset will be in the next version (v7) of Logos it can hardly be free when you pay for a base package or crossgrade.

In answering this type of question you should at least see what is included with the free Logos 6 Core Engine  (also look in this wiki).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 3 (49 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS