[unresolved] BUG: Usability issue with Ask the Author.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 35603
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 30 2015 1:04 AM

I created the following question:

"Clippings. A document containing “index cards” on which you can paste, for future use, excerpts from resources, the web, Word documents, etc.

Morris Proctor, Logos 6: Training Manual, vol. 1 (Murfreesboro, TN: MP Seminars, 2015), 2.

Can you explain (or do a blog on) how to use clippings for web  pages or Word documents? Thank you."

When I clicked Post absolutely nothing happened. I finally noticed a bit of a red line beside the scroll bar so I grabbed the scroll bar and could see there was an error indicator around the entry box. Usability issue 1 - did you really think I could find the red box ... and have any idea what the problem is?

Being the adventuresome sort (when it comes to software) I click cancel and try again. I select the same passage, select "Ask the Author" on the context menu and this is what I get - instantly:

BUG: Apparently the absolute lack of response to Post really meant something like "I'm doing it but not telling you - no spinning pizza, no repainted pane ..." As for the fact that I had selected only the Clipping sentence ....

I was one of the first to attempt to use this feature in beta testing ... I thought we had finally gotten it working. I'm attaching logs taken after closing the application but they may be of little help - I don't know.

2543.May 30.zip

After taking the logs, I opened Verbum, opened to the layout shot taken upon closing, removed the duplicate question in Ask the Author, and thought everything was okay BUG: until I noticed the lack of an icon for the Ask the Author question. I did check that it was turned on under Visual Filters..

CORRECTION: I had closed Verbum, updated my WinZip software, zipped the logs, uploaded them, reopened Verbum, futzed around a bit and then created the picture above. I then reviewed the forums, posted another problem ... surprise, the Ask the Author icon finally has shown up about an hour after the question was asked.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 30 2015 1:11 PM

Furthermore, the third screenshot shows the Post button partly covering Cancel.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 35603
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 30 2015 1:40 PM

fgh:

Furthermore, the third screenshot shows the Post button partly covering Cancel.

Ah, yes ....

It seems that every time I get serious about using Logos I find more "sins of the father". Should I sponsor a thread in which we wager how long it will take the new disciplined method of releases to undo the damage of previous years' lack of discipline?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS