Free Book of the Month (June 2015) Live

Page 1 of 5 (92 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 91 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 540
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 31 2015 9:27 AM

The free book of the month for June appears to be live and is the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary on Esther by Anthony Tomasino http://www.logos.com/product/38953/esther-evangelical-exegetical-commentary

The plus one, for 99 cents, is Gary Derickson's commentary on John's epistles in the same series http://www.logos.com/product/25000/1-2-and-3-john-evangelical-exegetical-commentary

Thanks Logos! Big Smile

Posts 3216
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 9:31 AM

No comment Angry

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 9:42 AM

Can anyone who owns the volume on the epistles of John tell me how many pages long it is? Unlike the volume on Esther, I do not see it listed on the product page. Thanks! 

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 9:52 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Gordon. And thank you Faithlife. 

I missed out on the Wright volumes last month since I'd already bought them, so I'm grateful for this month's offer, neither of which I owned. 

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 10:12 AM

Don't be unhappy, Whyndell.  It's always good to read and learn more, even though it may not be your preference.

Smile

Posts 10422
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 10:16 AM

Paul-C:

Thanks for the heads up, Gordon. And thank you Faithlife. 

I missed out on the Wright volumes last month since I'd already bought them, so I'm grateful for this month's offer, neither of which I owned. 

Hear, hear! These are my words, too!

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1125
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 10:17 AM

The free books of the month are getting better as are the Plus Ones. Probably makes up for the money I spend each month. It's much appreciated to have quality free books offered by Faithlife.

Posts 9128
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 10:38 AM

Steve:
Don't be unhappy, Whyndell.  It's always good to read and learn more, even though it may not be your preference.

It might be a bit of a problem for those who subscribed to the series being told that would be the only way it would be made available. Then they were told that changed and people could buy the books individually. Some have paid 'full price' for these commentaries through subscription believing they were getting the best price. Now, oops, that has changed.

In the larger perspective, if these offerings attract more people to the series that may help assure the series gets completed.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3734
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 10:58 AM

Glad to get those as I did not have them and it looks like interesting volumes. Thanks FL!

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 10:59 AM

Mark Smith:

Steve:

It might be a bit of a problem for those who subscribed to the series being told that would be the only way it would be made available. Then they were told that changed and people could buy the books individually. Some have paid 'full price' for these commentaries through subscription believing they were getting the best price. Now, oops, that has changed.

In the larger perspective, if these offerings attract more people to the series that may help assure the series gets completed.

Yes, of course.  Please accept my apology for the very red-faced, "no comment," poster.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 11:08 AM

Matthew:

Can anyone who owns the volume on the epistles of John tell me how many pages long it is? Unlike the volume on Esther, I do not see it listed on the product page. Thanks! 

I tried to check within Logos, but to my amazement, there is no visual filter to show page numbers, however, I was able to extract that information from the description on Amazon. It appears that the hardcover edition is 798 pages.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Evangelical-Exegetical-Commentary/dp/1577995759

Posts 3407
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 11:17 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
I tried to check within Logos, but to my amazement, there is no visual filter to show page numbers, however, I was able to extract that information from the description on Amazon.

Is that a bug? Should it be reported as such?

Personally, I really appreciate the free offering. I'm not an Evangelical, and I have no interest in buying the whole EEC set, but a free different-view commentary on a comparatively obscure book--especially one which is actually of a different length for the author than for me--is a nice boon. If I'd already ordered the whole set, I might think differently, but I haven't, so I don't.

Posts 9163
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 11:21 AM

I appreciate the free book offers each month as well as the $.99 deal that accompanies them. Once again I have the books being offered but I'm pleased for others. This is an excellent series.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 11:33 AM

SineNomine:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
I tried to check within Logos, but to my amazement, there is no visual filter to show page numbers, however, I was able to extract that information from the description on Amazon.

Is that a bug? Should it be reported as such?

Personally, I really appreciate the free offering. I'm not an Evangelical, and I have no interest in buying the whole EEC set, but a free different-view commentary on a comparatively obscure book--especially one which is actually of a different length for the author than for me--is a nice boon. If I'd already ordered the whole set, I might think differently, but I haven't, so I don't.

I appreciate them as well, and the latest offerings are big. Smile

I'm not sure yet if it is a bug or not (too soon for me to think about it in that detail), but on the surface, it does seem to be, as each of the Logos (not Vyrso) resources have page numbers.

Posts 1506
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 11:49 AM

Gordon Jones:
Thanks Logos! Big Smile

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1900
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 12:00 PM

Yes

Bruce Dunning:

I appreciate the free book offers each month as well as the $.99 deal that accompanies them. Once again I have the books being offered but I'm pleased for others. This is an excellent series.

Posts 28128
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 12:34 PM

Gordon Jones:
The plus one, for 99 cents, is Gary Derickson's commentary on John's epistles in the same series

I have really wanted this one. I read an article by the author on a passage in 1 John, and was quite impressed with his interpretation. The author has the unique credentials of having come from an agricultural background, so he presents a unique take on the subject. 

EDIT: I was thinking of his interpretation of a passage in John's Gospel. Still excited to have the resource. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 13386
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 12:47 PM

The EEC volumes don't have page numbers because they're digital first, not digital copies of paper volumes. There's a thread on here somewhere with that discussion. 

Posts 1578
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 1:30 PM

Wow! These EEC Commentaries are absolutely wonderful. Just got them, and by browsing through them, this is some good exegetical stuff. Thanks so much FAITHLIFE! I hope they offer another one at $1.99 like they did with N.T Wight's books! I am very appreciative of these commentaries.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 31 2015 1:35 PM

Mark Barnes:

The EEC volumes don't have page numbers because they're digital first, not digital copies of paper volumes. There's a thread on here somewhere with that discussion. 

Thanks Mark. That makes sense, and also answers the question of "Is it a bug?" without further thought.

Page 1 of 5 (92 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS